NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default For any Cap Anson fans...

Posted By: Brad

Thought I would make all of you vintage collectors aware of my new website "Cap Chronicled - The Life and Times of Adrian 'Cap' Anson" (http://www.capanson.com). As a fellow collector, I am devoting several pages to Cap's vintage cards and collectible ephemera.

If you buy or sell Anson cards, I hope you will take a look at the Cap Collectors' Club page. My goal is to make this page a hotspot for Cap collectors to both post wants and items for sale. For a very small fee, anyone can post their Anson cards for sale. Since right now I am trying to get this Club going, if any readers of this post have an Anson card they want to post for sale or trade on the page, I will waive the entire listing fee through January 31, 2005. Just mention the VBC Forum when you contact me.

Even for non-collectors, I hope you enjoy this look at a fascinating personality of 1800's baseball. Sorry all the biographical section is not completed yet, but should be up by the end of the month.

By the way... if you have any suggestions or feedback on the site, I'd enjoy reading your posts here.

Brad Wackerlin - Lake in the Hills, IL
(My other websites include: http://www.markgrace.com, http://www.sportscardstars.com, and http://www.gracecollector.com)

Old 11-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

id encourage everyone to check out brad's gracecollector website. its truly the most amazing player collector website ive seen- tons of rarities and an astounding collection of grace cards- you dont need to be a fan to appreciate it

Old 11-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

not to see ther Harper's Woodcut 1874 mentioned as his first non-private appearance in print...

Old 11-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

He's wearing clothes, Julie

Old 11-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

was he the driving force behind the exclusion of black ballplayers?

Old 11-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Adam,

He absolutely was.

Other than Curt Schilling, Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, etc., no one has done more damage to the game of baseball than Jim Crow Anson.

That said, it looks like Brad has done a really nice job on his website and I commend him for including the section about Anson's racism which he's titled "Cap's Great Shame."

Anson is my most-hated non-Red Sox player, but the website looks great and is obviously a labor of love. I'd like to see more sites like this about other players.

Well done.

-Ryan

Old 11-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Why not start a movement to get him out of the Hall? How about Cobb? Anson and a Hell of a lot of other reasons kept Baseball segregated..

Old 11-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Does "Non-private" mean he's NOT wearing clothes?

It's bad enough being an English teacher who has trouble with the language, but I don't need bawling out when I get something right...

Old 11-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Administrator

from materializing in the major leagues for 64 years...

Old 11-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I didn't list the Harper's Woodcut on the card page because it was printed as an illustration to a magazine article. I may include the entire Harpers issue in the bottom part of the page under "publications." I did however have it pictured on the "photos" page.

Brad

Old 11-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Without a doubt, Anson was a racist. What is important to consider, however, is the historical context. His opinions on African-Americans were shared by many other whites in both baseball and the population at large. We must remember that the period of time we are talking about is only 30 years after the Civil War. Racism would be rampant in American Culture throughout the late 19th Century and the first half of the 20th Century. Cap's refusal to play a game in which Fleetwood Walker, a black catcher and outfielder, is pointed at as the "line drawn in the sand" in regards to segregation in baseball. But it is almost certain blacks would not be permitted to play in the majors even if Cap hadn't been in the league. There were just too many white owners and players with racist beliefs at that period in history to think otherwise. The wide reporting of the Walker / Anson incident resulted in Anson earning the segregation scapegoat reputation. But it is unfair to have him shoulder all the blame. A color line was inevitable, albeit a great shame to the national game. On the page, I'll document talks that occurred in baseball several months earlier than the Walker incident in which the color line was discussed. And the fact that it took over 55 years to repel the ban of black players is proof that racist attitudes extended way beyond Anson's influence. Yes - Anson was a racist, but he was not alone. And it is unfair to say the "gentlemen's agreement" to exclude blacks was entirely his fault.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

"Each generation sets its own blinders, then claims its vision is unimpeded."

Old 11-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Evening folks,

My compliments to Brad on a well done site. I look forward to Jan 1 when it's done so that I can read the rest of it...

On another note, has anyone on the board read either of Howard Rosenberg's books on Cap Anson?

Cheers,

Richard.