NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2023, 08:33 PM

Default Anyone ever see this kind of Sweet Caporal Factory 42 OP Oddity?

Hi there all, new to the forum but I've come across it many times since starting to collect T206. I'm in a lot of the Facebook groups too, so I've probably seen some of you around there.

I have a Sweet Caporal Factory 42OP card that has some oddities I just noticed last night and was curious if anyone has seen anything else like this? I put all of the images in an album here: https://imgur.com/a/0Ic0U5L

I took a closer look under my magnifier on a spot on my card and it looks like a scrap piece of print of something else from the factory stuck to the wet ink, someone on Facebook suggested a piece of a tax stamp and that seems the most plausible. I originally thought of a Sovereign since it's green, but the pattern doesn't match any part of it or American Beauty.

I took it out of the sleeve and felt it, it does appear to be stuck to it and not just sitting on it. Another weird thing about this card is I noticed the overprint pattern is unlike any other I've seen, so I put my magnifier over that too. It looks like someone hand painted over the Factory number when they missed the strike. I also attached another 42OP card of mine to show the difference of what the normal pattern looks like. The last "interesting" thing about this card is the red leaf in the top right didn't fully print, haven't noticed this on other Sweet Caporal cards before (but I've haven't looked too hard at others). Curious if anyone else had insight on these oddities or have ever come across these before?
Old 02-28-2023, 08:57 PM
Luke Lyon

The red ink printed on the card below the piece of paper makes me think it's just a piece of paper that got stuck to the card at some point. But the red ink on the little piece looks like a matc. If so I really have no idea how the ink on the card was printed fully, then that paper got stuck to it and it also got the red ink printed on it. Very interesting.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:13 AM
P@trick R.omolo

The extra piece of paper is intriguing for the reasons that Luke mentioned the extra ink on the overprint scroll is a common variance. There are also numerous Sweet Caporals that have different parts of the leaves that didn't fully print.

img419.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 03-01-2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The extra piece of paper is intriguing for the reasons that Luke mentioned the extra ink on the overprint scroll is a common variance. There are also numerous Sweet Caporals that have different parts of the leaves that didn't fully print.

Attachment 560070
Ah nice, good to know about the overprint scroll variances. I can imagine a real stickler of a boss at the factory that day...
Old 03-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Robert J. Miller

I think it was done on purpose well after it was printed. But I most could be wrong as my wife always believes I am.

At first I thought yes a speck of paper was there when it was printed. Then take a look at the first picture to the left where it looks like the IN in the greenish paper. The red there is not printed over the paper but under. Whereas other parts looks like the red is printed over the extra paper.

Then it looks like the red ink on the card does not match the red ink color on the extra paper.

So my very inexperienced eyes says it was created well after it was originally printed.

Bob

Last edited by philliesfan; 03-02-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree on the tax stamp. Not sure on the other back over-stamp, but done after the fact seems plausible, as mentioned. It could've been done at the same time of printing too. Not sure. Cool card though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteaustin24 View Post
Hi there all, new to the forum but I've come across it many times since starting to collect T206. I'm in a lot of the Facebook groups too, so I've probably seen some of you around there.

I have a Sweet Caporal Factory 42OP card that has some oddities I just noticed last night and was curious if anyone has seen anything else like this? I put all of the images in an album here: https://imgur.com/a/0Ic0U5L

I took a closer look under my magnifier on a spot on my card and it looks like a scrap piece of print of something else from the factory stuck to the wet ink, someone on Facebook suggested a piece of a tax stamp and that seems the most plausible. I originally thought of a Sovereign since it's green, but the pattern doesn't match any part of it or American Beauty.

I took it out of the sleeve and felt it, it does appear to be stuck to it and not just sitting on it. Another weird thing about this card is I noticed the overprint pattern is unlike any other I've seen, so I put my magnifier over that too. It looks like someone hand painted over the Factory number when they missed the strike. I also attached another 42OP card of mine to show the difference of what the normal pattern looks like. The last "interesting" thing about this card is the red leaf in the top right didn't fully print, haven't noticed this on other Sweet Caporal cards before (but I've haven't looked too hard at others). Curious if anyone else had insight on these oddities or have ever come across these before?

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:05 PM
Jimmy

I have seen this before and is rare,

Over prints are just stamps over from another fac. when shipped - so it was tagged or stamped for a reason. Really not sure why they did it this way, as it stamps out the original fac. number.

The back top right is an extra piece of paper or tax stamp and just like old civil war photos stamps sometimes ended up on the back, they must have used the same machines or something. This was a factory error or stuck onto the cardboard.

and have seen other cards with extra stamp pieces. Unlike the civil war photo issues that is common to see on the back as a "full US stamp" never see a full tax stamp on T206 cards only some pieces which makes me think it was a mistake or just bad luck in the machine.

No surprised it was with an overprint card, and only have seen it with them - dig more if you can!

Thanks for sharing and you have a cool card!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 03-07-2023 at 12:18 PM.