NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2023, 03:37 PM

Default Reasons for "A" grade?

I've been avoiding getting "A" grades in my collection. But for this card, I couldn't turn it down, as I hadn't stumbled across it in any higher grades.

So, any suggestions as to what's wrong with this card? Trimming? I had hoped that SGC might give more info, but perhaps back in 2015 they didn't usually do this?

NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 03-02-2023, 03:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For an eye investigation, you're going to have to post larger, clearer pics for the experts here to have a better chance of an accurate assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:49 PM

Oh thanks! I've never been good at this, so I usually go by what the "professionals" grade things as, so I try to stay above a 1.5 in my collection
Figure this will be a placeholder for quite a while...

Old 03-02-2023, 05:05 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

4 most common reasons that come to mind for an A grade are:

1) Trimming
2) Missing big chunks of the card / paper loss / pin holes
3) Recoloring
4) Somebody really messed with it, by say lacquering it or laminating it. Or putting tape or glue on it!

Not sure if any or all of them come into play here, but #1 and #3 seem like the most likely culprits in this case.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-03-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:45 AM
Joe

The bat ear on the top right is most telling.

Last edited by 2dueces; 03-03-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
The bat ear on the top right is most telling.
I'd say even more on the top left corner. Look at that sharpness and curvature on the left border. Trim city.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:10 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

agree, definitely looks trimmed.

Personally I don't mind authentic grades and often prefer to get a nicer card for the price of a visual disaster of a poor numerical grade.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

Back a bit farther than 2015 if you didn't want anything slabbed as "A" they would send back a slip with the notes.

The reasons above are the most common, but a lot of other stuff would get slabbed as "A".
The unfortunate thing is that most collectors only look at size or straightness, but not the details of the cut. So anything factory but unusual gets tossed into the "A" category. See below.

Using my slightly less than scientific method for checking straightness from scans(a bit of cardstock held up to the flat monitor as a straightedge)
The top is actually straight.
The left side does appear curved, but... the pics are phone pics not scans and were taken at an angle so there may be some lens stuff going on.
The image of the card is narrower at the top than bottom, and the right edge has a similar curve, so it presents sort of hourglass shape. That makes me lean towards a lens/range etc issue more than an actual curve.

Curved cuts can happen, but would not be concave on both sides.

Here's one I sent in that is nice, but was rejected for very rough cuts top and bottom. That is often from a dull blade in the cutter.

This one would be rejected, but is facory cut. This odd cut comes from a bit of debris either in or below the stack of sheets being cut.

The other two I had rejected, one was factory but undersize, the other actually trimmed all around, (an embarassing miss on my part, rushing to get 10 I thought were good enough to bother with near a submission deadlne. )

All 4 would be slabbed "A" but only one really would deserve it.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am not afraid of the A

Ideally i want a number grade at the highest that I can afford
But
1. I am more concerned about the eye appeal of the card
2. Also depends on the scarcity. Kind of like the one you picked up if the card is rare and I want it I better get especially if I do not know when another might be available or depending on my budget

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Fred

I'll take A grade cards with the right discount. The same holds true for cards graded 1-2 that have great eye appeal.

Lower grade OJs.jpg
Old 03-03-2023, 12:45 PM
Paul

In this bubble, you get a lot more for your money with an "A" grade.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:33 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaufman View Post
In this bubble, you get a lot more for your money with an "A" grade.
Agreed!

Old 03-03-2023, 02:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Sorry if I missed it in this thread but will a card also not receive an "A" if it is detectable that it has once was been placed in a screw down holder squishing it/enlarging it some?
Old 03-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Sorry if I missed it in this thread but will a card also not receive an "A" if it is detectable that it has once was been placed in a screw down holder squishing it/enlarging it some?
My understanding is that those cards actually get the dreaded AA grade - Authentic Altered.

Although I guess there's room to question whether there's really a difference between plain old Authentic and Authentic Altered, since most of the Authentic grades are handed out due to some form of alteration.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-03-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
My understanding is that those cards actually get the dreaded AA grade - Authentic Altered.

Although I guess there's room to question whether there's really a difference between plain old Authentic and Authentic Altered, since most of the Authentic grades are handed out due to some form of alteration.
Yes, you could be right? I forgot about that.
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:03 PM

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I think the edges are straight, and my photo was a bit angled to avoid glare - sorry about that for implying there was a curve there. I was able to compare with another version of the card, and it seems that at least there is trimming involved. I stacked the two images:

Seems a good chunk is missing from the top edge. Unsure about left/right, as it seems the centering is a tad off between these two copies, but if someone trimmed the top heavily, I'm sure they didn't shy away from taking a bit off the sides.....

I think I am more comfortable with an "A" grade, if I know *what* was done.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:07 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

I didn't know that the TPGs started an AA grade. Not sure why the AA label because if assigned an A grade, it usually means some type of alteration (including trimming) or totally trashed, which would be obvious. If an AA label drops the price a ton, I'll take them if the eye appeal is good and the discount is better.

Collecting in the 21st century!
Old 03-03-2023, 08:13 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I didn't know that the TPGs started an AA grade. Not sure why the AA label because if assigned an A grade, it usually means some type of alteration (including trimming) or totally trashed, which would be obvious. If an AA label drops the price a ton, I'll take them if the eye appeal is good and the discount is better.

Collecting in the 21st century!
…I was mostly teasing about AA being dreaded…

I’m not convinced that AA and A are really all that different or result in different prices. Unless, of course, any specific card is in much worse shape than another with the same designation.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 03-03-2023, 11:20 PM

Here is another E106 card for comparison. Many of the ones I have seen in less fresh condition like this Speaker are also, perhaps not coincidentally, larger in size.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e106speaker 001.jpg (124.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg e106speakerback 001.jpg (121.3 KB, 182 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:58 PM

I also like my trimmed cards to have real obvious trimming, not none of this new-fangled, half-ass trimming.

Brian (by the way, can this E106 be any more colorful?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e106schaeffer 001.jpg (91.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg e106schaefferback 002.jpg (99.0 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Brian (by the way, can this E106 be any more colorful?)
Yes, Brian, Mr. Schaefer could be much more colorful if only you were to use some Sharpies (e.g., purple, yellow, etc.) to color in his drab-looking uniform and cap.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:16 AM
Robert Williams

I love the A grade. It allows you to get a super looking card for a fraction of the price!! Unfortunately, nefarious people tend to crack them out and sell them raw for more money. Sad but true.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:36 AM

E106s are tough so one with this eye appeal, even in an Authentic holder is definitely a keeper. I try to avoid Authentic slabbed cards but if the alternative is either a 1 with major creasing or not having the card, I’ll take the A.
I would never break out an Authentic grade card and sell it without the caveat that is was graded A but I’m Old School, and I know that it happens way too often, especially on eBay.
Your card is a beauty by the way, nice pick up.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:12 PM
David M.

The only Authentic card I've ever bought was this one. I just thought the eye appeal over most 1's was so much better that I was willing to overlook the grade. I guess it's the "dreaded AA grade". I'm not sure how it's different than many other show here. As far as I can tell it's just trimmed.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 03-10-2023 at 02:20 PM.