NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Rob

Default IMPORTANT for eBay buyers or sellers!!!

I posted this in another thread but I think my low post count and unfamiliarity with the pre-war guys has caused this to be overlooked. It may also be old news but it has not been discussed here that I am aware. In my mind, it's a pretty important eBay development....

This past Sunday night, I had two snipes set for ebay. Both were within a hour of the other. In both cases, "no bid was placed." This is very, very, very unusual for the snipe service I use. I talked to a buddy who uses a different snipe service and he said he has also had "maybe a dozen" snipe failures in the last two weeks. The reason seems to be this (from my snipe service tech support):

"Ebay has evolved their security protocol after their security breach in May and has started the use of random CAPTCHAs. A CAPTCHA (an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether or not the user is human. When this occurs, you will see a no bid placed response and the eBay bidding log will note the request for an eBay authorization code. We will keep you updated on the use and frequency of eBay CAPTCHAs as we learn more. Thank you for your understanding." The CAPTCHAS I'm familiar with are the ones used by Ticketmaster, etc. - nonsense words written in hard to decipher fonts.

I asked tech support if this was just a huge coincidence (two missed snipes within an hour) or if ebay is using these CAPTCHAS so much that it's not surprising. This was their reply:

"The only pattern that we have been able to detect is an increased use of this security measure on Sunday evenings."

I don't know if this answer is legit or just a way of placating me, since my missed bids were on a Sunday evening. At any rate, this use of CAPTCHAS will have consequences for buyes and sellers. Buyers, like me, will miss bids. Sellers will "leave money on the table." One of my bids not placed was for nearly four times what the item sold for. Even ebay is unwittingly losing fees (not that we care about them ). I can't believe I'm the only person on this board to rely on a sniping service. Besides allowing me to set my price and not become emotionally involved in the bidding, I also joke (kind of) that sniping saved my marriage....in that I'm not asking my wife "Hey hon, can you hold that thought (while I bid)?"
Old 12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Sounds like placing max bids is the only way to go now. On the other hand sounds as though I need to start buying on eBay again

Member since 2009
Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Daryl

Will eBay ever offer its own sniping functionality?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
this is probably why they have made these changes

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
That was my first thought....run the others out of business and swoop in. But I don't know how any computer could get around the CAPTCHAS. Even the ticket scalpers use 100s of humans....in Bangladesh.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:11 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

"Ebay has evolved their security protocol after their security breach in May and has started the use of random CAPTCHAs. A CAPTCHA (an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether or not the user is human. When this occurs, you will see a no bid placed response and the eBay bidding log will note the request for an eBay authorization code. We will keep you updated on the use and frequency of eBay CAPTCHAs as we learn more. Thank you for your understanding."

Skynet rules all!!! Break out the drones.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Sounds like a legit response, but I'd bet the sniping company is willing to say anything to keep you as a customer, since this threatens their very existence(s) and you are now logically questioning why you need them at all if they can't do the one thing you pay them to do.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Yes, it will be called eBay Prime, cost $100/year and include free two day shipping.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Computers are getting better and better at answering CAPTCHAs, so it may be outmoded human detection method before long.

If you're interested in how CAPTCHAs work: How Computers Use Cognitive Science to Identify Users as Human

Last edited by drcy; 12-17-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I use gavelsnipe, and I don't think that I've had any snipes not fire in the last couple months (out of around a hundred+ snipes).
Old 12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I use gavelsnipe, and I don't think that I've had any snipes not fire in the last couple months (out of around a hundred+ snipes).
Hmmmm.....I wonder what gavelsnipe would do if asked for "an ebay authorization code." My experience could be a one in a million thing but the fact it happened twice in an hour gives me pause...
Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Yep. Just used gavelsnipe Monday night and it worked like a champ!...