NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2022, 07:33 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

For what it is worth...

As a buyer - I won and was not bid up on the one card I was winning last night when this whole thing started.

As a seller - I had 11 items and the extra day netted me an extra $125

As a bidder who was out - I was out last night before the craziness on 4 items...2 of those 4have been bid up quit a bit given the extra day (Cubs signed check lot and 1914 World Tour signed journal)...the other 2 didnt get bid up on

EDIT - the 1914 World Tour Signed Journal and 1917-1920 Cub Checks are still going

Last edited by ThomasL; 04-25-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:36 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Managed to win the "one that got away" last night. It's a card that Leon would approve of, low technical grade=lower price(still a record price for the grade level) with killer eye appeal. Bought the card, not the holder.
Come on, Scott, can't leave us like that. Which one?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:36 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

You're Cobb was fantastic Robert, great consignment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-25-2022, 07:38 PM
Robert Klevens

Thanks Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
You're Cobb was fantastic Robert, great consignment.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:42 PM
Ch@d

All three lots I was winning all night were outbid right after 6 PM. I decided not to bid again in the auction again, so away they went. I'm not totally unhappy about it either given the way this went down, not to mention the strong prices. Congrats to the winners.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 04-25-2022, 07:49 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But there's no reason to believe that that same person wouldn't have bid in extended bidding last night if the site had been running properly. It's not proof of any difference. I don't know why the assumption is that with a faulty ending suddenly people will be willing to pay more that they would have if things had run properly. It's a logical leap I'm not willing to make.
I find it very hard to believe that a previous bidder on such a key card that had ZERO action since 9/22 intentionally waited until the extended bidding beginning at 12 am to make an additional offer. The site went down at 12:03 for me and many others..... I don't think it's a leap at all to think someone wasn't actually waiting until the final 7 minutes (resetting the 10-minute clock btw) - really, who would risk that on such a card?

Is it possible? of course, it is! I definitely don't think it's a leap to think someone woke up to see they had another chance to take a shot at a much-desired card they had bid on earlier in the auction and decided to bid?

No leap either way - but a crapy way for the auction to have ended IMO.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:50 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Consignor bump....

I had about a 12% bump with the added day.

I can't say I'm displeased with the outage!

Mike
Old 04-25-2022, 07:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
I find it very hard to believe that a previous bidder on such a key card that had ZERO action since 9/22 intentionally waited until the extended bidding beginning at 12 am to make an additional offer. The site went down at 12:03 for me and many others..... I don't think it's a leap at all to think someone wasn't actually waiting until the final 7 minutes (resetting the 10-minute clock btw) - really, who would risk that on such a card?

Is it possible? of course, it is! I definitely don't think it's a leap to think someone woke up to see they had another chance to take a shot at a much-desired card they had bid on earlier in the auction and decided to bid?

No leap either way - but a crapy way for the auction to have ended IMO.
7 minutes is like a lifetime to an addicted collector waiting on the countdown clock. There was no conspiracy.

Last edited by Leon; 04-25-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Alright, I'm out. Whoever keeps bumping me on the M101 type cards, congratulations on your winnings.
If that was you on the Holmes to Homes and the Successful Farming, sorry about that. One of us needs to quit collecting LOL...
Old 04-25-2022, 07:57 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
I had about a 12% bump with the added day.

I can't say I'm displeased with the outage!

Mike
This is why I suggested that they should have left it open for another week at least. Can’t be sure that everyone had a free day today to participate in the bullshit extra free day. How can that be fair?
Congrats.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
Come on, Scott, can't leave us like that. Which one?
Nothing rare or astonishing, just a really nice looking 21 Exhibits Ruth. I paid full price and then some, but the eye appeal is much better than the vast majority of most of them in any grade...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 ruth exhbits.jpg (155.6 KB, 515 views)
Old 04-25-2022, 08:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Nothing rare or astonishing, just a really nice looking 21 Exhibits Ruth. I paid full price and then some, but the eye appeal is much better than the vast majority of most of them in any grade...
I was watching that one and bid on it. But I wanted some other type cards and knew I could get one of these in the future. Great eye appeal.
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
That struck me as an amazing one. Awesome pickup.
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Carl, what you don't know is if the person who bid on this card 10 minutes ago is the same person who wasn't able to access the auction after midnight last night to place this same bid.
Agreed - but this isn't a $500-$5000 lot that someone tends to try to swoop in and grab. I've participated in a ton of these and though you're 100% correct in not knowing if that person would have bid in those final 7 minutes experience tells me the lot was dormant for 2 days (not unusual) but also from 9m to 12:03am (suspect that zero bids but someone MIGHT have wanted to lace a bid over 100k in those final 7 minutes).

I get the nuance and the 'nobody knows for sure' I just sympathize for the guy who got sniped at noon today on a card he most likely (not guaranteed) was going to win..... maybe he came over the to and ultimately won the card. Great DiMaggio too!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:07 PM
Carl

Default Nice Pickup!!!

Whoever won the e92 Crofts Eddie Collins - congrats, and AWESOME pickup.....beautiful card and so, so, so rare!

nice to add to you collection!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:21 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great pick up Scott, I went 3 for 4, lost out on the Gehrig exhibits but happy with my pickups.

-
Old 04-25-2022, 08:25 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
Agreed - but this isn't a $500-$5000 lot that someone tends to try to swoop in and grab. I've participated in a ton of these and though you're 100% correct in not knowing if that person would have bid in those final 7 minutes experience tells me the lot was dormant for 2 days (not unusual) but also from 9m to 12:03am (suspect that zero bids but someone MIGHT have wanted to lace a bid over 100k in those final 7 minutes).

I get the nuance and the 'nobody knows for sure' I just sympathize for the guy who got sniped at noon today on a card he most likely (not guaranteed) was going to win..... maybe he came over the to and ultimately won the card. Great DiMaggio too!
Agree with this. Hard to convince me that the extra day did anything but give more people more time to think about just going for it.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Great pick up Scott, I went 3 for 4, lost out on the Gehrig exhibits but happy with my pickups.

I won the 27 exhibit gehrig. Love the image and fact that it’s the same as his rookie image really appealed to me. After reviewing the pop it also appears it’s very more scarce than some others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2022, 08:47 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvancouver View Post
This is why I suggested that they should have left it open for another week at least. Can’t be sure that everyone had a free day today to participate in the bullshit extra free day. How can that be fair?
Congrats.
Another week would have been splendid!

Mike
Old 04-25-2022, 08:52 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
I won the 27 exhibit gehrig. Love the image and fact that it’s the same as his rookie image really appealed to me. After reviewing the pop it also appears it’s very more scarce than some others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! I still don't know your name.

-
Old 04-25-2022, 08:55 PM
pete ullman

some of the results were absolutely staggering!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
240K plus vig for a PSA 8.5 Jim Brown. Uh, OK, enjoy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:03 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
240K plus vig for a PSA 8.5 Jim Brown. Uh, OK, enjoy.
i wish i bought your ruth exhibit u sold on bst a few months ago!!!!!
Old 04-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Jamie

The Charleston went for $132 w BP. It was $40k range at midnight. I was shutout but was going close going one more on the 1906 Harrisburg Giants photo and Pop Lloyd.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 04-25-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:30 PM
Ron Rice

Default Rea

It was interesting to see some lots stay still from last night, while others doubled in the final minutes tonight.

I had bid on many items early in the auction and then waited until tonight to let a few go, while grabbing a couple of others. I guess, we have to improvise as we go. You have to play the hand you're dealt!

It was a successful auction overall. REA had an incredible selection!
Old 04-25-2022, 09:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Believe it or not, the site appears to be down, was hoping to look over some prices.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:49 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If that was you on the Holmes to Homes and the Successful Farming, sorry about that. One of us needs to quit collecting LOL...
Holmes to Homes and the Mall Theatre.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
i wish i bought your ruth exhibit u sold on bst a few months ago!!!!!
Yeah, in hindsight so many things seem inexplicable. But nothing will ever match my two epic fails, not buying a Toleteros Gibson or an Alifa Pele.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-25-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:29 PM
Val Kehl

FWIW, only one of my 12 consigned cards got any bids during the day Monday (it was bid up by $300), and NONE of my cards received any bids after 9 p.m. tonight. This suggests to me that some bidders were too pissed about last night's hiccup to bid again today/tonight.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:58 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Are Caramels making a push? Looks like some strong prices on them. They seemed to languish off their historic highs. But imagine what they can do in this market environment if the demand returns to what it was then.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:23 AM
Todd Schultz

I survived on one card-- the low number Herpolsheimer J. Franklin Baker. If anyone cares, it went for one bid more than where it ended during last night's fiasco, when I could not make that same bid. Also, I made the bid at 5 minutes before extended bidding, just in case there were more problems tonight. It held. Sorry for the large scan.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:14 AM
Michael S

As a bidder, I lost one card I would have won, but won two I would have lost. I had three lots as a consignor, two didn’t receive additional bids, the third gained $700 to end at $3600. I can’t say I’m disappointed.

Michael
Old 04-26-2022, 04:29 AM
Don Hontz

I did win my 2 original lots that I was high on before the glitch--yesterday morning I bid on 4 more lots---I won the 1921 Exhibit Ruth graded 3--I bumped the 1952 topps Authentic Mantle--also bumped the 4/1 exhibit and one other card--REA gained $1300 on my late bids--but I was pleased to get the Ruth and I just didnt want to hit the Mantle again---At least the Auction closed fast last night.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:54 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I placed a bid on a lot that "I don't really need but let's place a bid and see how it goes) and sadly..... no one outbid me and I need to stuck with it.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was watching that one and bid on it. But I wanted some other type cards and knew I could get one of these in the future. Great eye appeal.
+1 Agree great looking eye appeal

and congrats to all on their pickups

I bowed out and did not participate in yesterdays finale part 2

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-26-2022, 05:18 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I debated one more bid but talked myself out of it. Really strong prices on not only the high end e93s but also the mid grades.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:30 AM
Paul Lehr

Strong prices on the Carl Horner cabinets. I was hoping to snag one but bowed out. I still managed to snag one other cabinet so all is well.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:32 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

T206 HOFers and rare backs continue to skyrocket. Happy with my one win.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:06 AM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default 1958 Topps Jim Brown Rookie 8.5 Vs. 8

The 8.5 sold for 10X the 8. Buy the 8 and save 1/4 Million$ for other things!
Old 04-26-2022, 06:06 AM
Jeff Willi@ms

whoever I was battling for the higher grade T207's, well played.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:21 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Two different collectors putting together a Revelle back run?

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=102956
Old 04-26-2022, 06:27 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post

Could be Ryan...
Old 04-26-2022, 06:33 AM
Gary

I managed to win the one card I was after.

I was the leading bidder from just after the auction opened until 11:53pm on Sunday night when i was outbid. The technical issues prevented me from increasing my bid in extended bidding, so I was happy the auction was extended.

I finally managed to win the card in last night's extended bidding.

Now, bear in mind that I'm doing this from a UK time zone. I was up to 3:00am (10pm EST) on Monday night
Then I woke up to for extended bidding at 4:45am (11:45pm EST) only to encounter technical issues. Then last night I was up to 2:30am to do it all again. But at least, I got the card.

Signed,
Mr. Tired But Happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_103328_1_236353.jpg (197.2 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 04-26-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:34 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Great auction last night hope everyone enjoyed it !

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:34 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post

It used to be that $5K would get you a Drum back....
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:44 AM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Are Caramels making a push? Looks like some strong prices on them. They seemed to languish off their historic highs. But imagine what they can do in this market environment if the demand returns to what it was then.
Could be! The e92's are fantastic looking cards and really pretty difficult to find in higher conditions. The pops are so low on Crofts and Najda's but even the Dockman's - the higher pop cards like Wagners (throwing 68) and (hitting 40) are super low availability..... even if you add another 30 to each from the other graders....

THe e93's in this auction were pieces of art!
Old 04-26-2022, 06:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I placed a bid on a lot that "I don't really need but let's place a bid and see how it goes) and sadly..... no one outbid me and I need to stuck with it.
Happens to me ALL the time. Wake up and grab the phone, hoping I didn't win it. No, of course I won.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:49 AM
Jason Seidl

As a bidder I was outbid last night in the extended version.

As a seller of three lots I think I picked up like $25 LOL. That said, I was pleased with the prices I received overall.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:20 AM
Sam Dodero

Default RE Auction

Extending that auction the way it was gave losing bidder who many times in the heat of battle regret placing one more bid after the auction ended or were chasing something else had a full day to think things over, and up their bid the next day. Watching the lots I was in on anyway, many of the out bids did not come right a way, they came the next day. The money I saved on a card I lost in the last minute the next day, I used to jumped on eBay and negotiated a back and forth 4 hour purchase on a card much nicer than the one I would have won at RE.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:36 AM
pete ullman

my consignments moved marginally over the extended auction...my bids all got decimated. I walked away with some batman trading cards!!!!