NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2022, 01:34 PM
David McDonald

Robert Edwards Auctions thread STILL going strong at 8:15 AM Est!!!!

If whoever was jousting with me in extended overtime and extended-extended overtime is here no need apologize just send me a thousand bucks and we're good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REA Casey Stengel pc 1909.jpg (124.9 KB, 255 views)
Old 04-27-2022, 01:47 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
4) The thing that bothers me most was the lack of communication between ~12AM and 1:14AM - The clock was counting down on each lot - I and others were permitted to place bids without clarity on whether the auction would end last night or be pushed till today. I placed bids in that time period thinking there was a chance the auction would close according to the clocks that were counting down. At 1:14 well over an hour after the problem started the email went out saying the auction would be extended. Fairer (imo) would have been to "pause the auction" closer to when the problem began until a decision was made and clearly communicated with everyone.
After several weeks of normal bidding, there followed a couple hours of extended bidding. This was supposed to be followed by lot by lot 10 minute extended sessions to conclude the auction.

Instead, the 10 minute per lot session continued for over an hour, and each time the clocks seemed to be running down, they reset. It was like expecting the auction to end within minutes (so get those bids in) time after time, and this had to result in more last minute bidding. I certainly thought I was on the verge of winning my lot several times, and increased my max bid during the madness, in case I got disconnected as my lot was closing.

Then, REA decides to add an entire new day of extended bidding, and then, yet another 10 minute per lot countdown.

If we can all agree that bidding in auctions is most intense at the close, then what would be the result of bidders thinking the close was imminent again, and again, and again, and again, then an extra day is added, and then one last final, final extension?

It would be like ebay having snipers put in their last second top bids, then adding a minute to allow another round of snipe bidding, then adding another round, and another........
Old 04-27-2022, 02:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
seem to indicate that it is an indisputable fact
quoting for posterity.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-27-2022, 02:23 PM
P@trick R.omolo

All the people that could bid seem to be ignoring the fact that there were many people that couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I managed to win the one card I was after.

I was the leading bidder from just after the auction opened until 11:53pm on Sunday night when i was outbid. The technical issues prevented me from increasing my bid in extended bidding, so I was happy the auction was extended.

I finally managed to win the card in last night's extended bidding.

Now, bear in mind that I'm doing this from a UK time zone. I was up to 3:00am (10pm EST) on Monday night
Then I woke up to for extended bidding at 4:45am (11:45pm EST) only to encounter technical issues. Then last night I was up to 2:30am to do it all again. But at least, I got the card.

Signed,
Mr. Tired But Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
The site running slow for anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Yup can't place a bid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
It has timed out numerous times for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I can't bid on REA right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Yes, it won't let me on to bid. Annoying as hell. Get your shit together REA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
At midnight Eastern sharp it stopped taking my bids, cannot currently get back into auction. Seems the 10-minute rule is overwhelming the server(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
The wheel is spinning. I think it is going to be a long night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Will not load for me. Thomas Church
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
Now service is unavailable (sigh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
I can’t bid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Yep, got booted off and can't get back in

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2022, 03:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

And some folks will still argue that all of this resulted in no more money for the AH and consignors.

Believe me, I WISH I had consigned a six figure card to this.

When I consign a really nice card I never want the auction to close. Every additional bid can be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
After several weeks of normal bidding, there followed a couple hours of extended bidding. This was supposed to be followed by lot by lot 10 minute extended sessions to conclude the auction.

Instead, the 10 minute per lot session continued for over an hour, and each time the clocks seemed to be running down, they reset. It was like expecting the auction to end within minutes (so get those bids in) time after time, and this had to result in more last minute bidding. I certainly thought I was on the verge of winning my lot several times, and increased my max bid during the madness, in case I got disconnected as my lot was closing.

Then, REA decides to add an entire new day of extended bidding, and then, yet another 10 minute per lot countdown.

If we can all agree that bidding in auctions is most intense at the close, then what would be the result of bidders thinking the close was imminent again, and again, and again, and again, then an extra day is added, and then one last final, final extension?

It would be like ebay having snipers put in their last second top bids, then adding a minute to allow another round of snipe bidding, then adding another round, and another........

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-27-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:08 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
quoting for posterity.
Scott,

Is that supposed to be some type of funny joke or an attempt at sarcasm? Aside from being a classic example of someone taking something out of context, that was stated by me in regards to others who posted on here in this thread about how they did in fact end up making additional bids in this recent REA auction because of the closing glitch, and subsequent one-day extension to the auction. I used that language to go along with and parody others who had been saying some things involved in this thread discussion were undisputable facts, when they quite frankly clearly were not. That excerpt you are "saving for posterity" was part of a much longer statement I made showing how there apparently was in fact something in this thread that actually was an indisputable fact, that the glitch in REA's auction closing did in fact lead to some additional bids in this one particular REA auction. And that statement by me was even re-affirmed in later post #239 by one of the parties I had based my original statement on.

So please explain to me why out of all the other statements in this thread claiming to be indisputable facts that clearly were not, you decided and saw fit to "save for posterity" an out of context quote from me about one thing in this thread that actually is an indisputable fact? Especially when the post of mine you are quoting from was already quoted and saved for posterity by someone else in post #225. Seems to make your post totally redundant then. So, I'm just trying to make some sense as to why you still needed to post what you did then, because forgive me, I sure can't make any sense out of it at all.

Last edited by BobC; 04-27-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:34 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Nothing rare or astonishing, just a really nice looking 21 Exhibits Ruth. I paid full price and then some, but the eye appeal is much better than the vast majority of most of them in any grade...

You're right -- that's a great looking 1.5, congrats!
Old 04-27-2022, 05:02 PM
Scott Russell

Sorry I thought you were serious. Taking it in the spirit it was intended I couldn't agree more. The phrases "seem to indicate" and "indisputable fact" just made me laugh as they kinda don't go together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Scott,

Is that supposed to be some type of funny joke or an attempt at sarcasm? Aside from being a classic example of someone taking something out of context, that was stated by me in regards to others who posted on here in this thread about how they did in fact end up making additional bids in this recent REA auction because of the closing glitch, and subsequent one-day extension to the auction. I used that language to go along with and parody others who had been saying some things involved in this thread discussion were undisputable facts, when they quite frankly clearly were not. That excerpt you are "saving for posterity" was part of a much longer statement I made showing how there apparently was in fact something in this thread that actually was an indisputable fact, that the glitch in REA's auction closing did in fact lead to some additional bids in this one particular REA auction. And that statement by me was even re-affirmed in later post #239 by one of the parties I had based my original statement on.

So please explain to me why out of all the other statements in this thread claiming to be indisputable facts that clearly were not, you decided and saw fit to "save for posterity" an out of context quote from me about one thing in this thread that actually is an indisputable fact? Especially when the post of mine you are quoting from was already quoted and saved for posterity by someone else in post #225. Seems to make your post totally redundant then. So, I'm just trying to make some sense as to why you still needed to post what you did then, because forgive me, I sure can't make any sense out of it at all.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-27-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It would be interesting to conduct a poll asking forum members who was still able to bid, and who was shut out in the original overtime session.

My experience was roughly 10 minutes of outage (12:06 - 12:16), and then it resumed full bidding capabilities throughout the repeated extensions (which seemed like about an hour in duration). Lots with no activity were extended 4-5 times, as the countdown clock could not effectively close them out.

In retrospect, I think REA had no choice but to extend it to the next day. However, I felt (since the auction shut down in the overtime session), it should have resumed Monday at 9 PM EDT with the 10 minute lot-by-lot overtime. I don't think it should have re-opened for the entire Monday.

Just my two cents regarding the most fair solution.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:45 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It would be interesting to conduct a poll asking forum members who was still able to bid, and who was shut out in the original overtime session.

My experience was roughly 10 minutes of outage (12:06 - 12:16), and then it resumed full bidding capabilities throughout the repeated extensions (which seemed like about an hour in duration). Lots with no activity were extended 4-5 times, as the countdown clock could not effectively close them out.

In retrospect, I think REA had no choice but to extend it to the next day. However, I felt (since the auction shut down in the overtime session), it should have resumed Monday at 9 PM EDT with the 10 minute lot-by-lot overtime. I don't think it should have re-opened for the entire Monday.

Just my two cents regarding the most fair solution.
Agree that would have been a fairer solution. All of the lots but one that I was bidding on went way higher Monday. Would be a tough argument to say that an issue during extending bidding of the announced close let the AH extend a full day and then have another extending bidding period somehow decreased prices rather than increased them. I know the side I’d rather defend.