NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default E101 and E102 Anonymous Oddities / Printers Goofs and a Question on "Hashmarks"

Was digging through my collection today and discovered some e101s and e102s that can be described as "printing goofs" that I thought I'd share. You don't really see too many oddities from either of these sets.

So shown below we have the following -
E101 Shean - color pass shift and a mostly yellow background instead of orange
E101 Smith - wavy cut with odd hashmarks
E101 McLean (OR e92...LOL) - blank back
E102 Matty - Appears to be scrap. Handcut / oversized borders, missing a color pass and color pass shift into the borders

Was curious if others have come across any oddities from either of these two sets?

Also curious what people thought of the cards with the hashmarks - notably the e102 Matty and the e101 Smith. Looks like those are definitely "Printer's guide-lines" of some sort. I don't come across too many cards at all that have these sort of hashmarks.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

fronts.jpg

bks.jpg
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

The hashmarks are pretty common on several players in the E92/E101/E102 family of sets. Mathewson and Smith being two of the most common I remember seeing. There is actually another Smith on Ebay right now with the marks. I'm aware of at least 2 other McLean blank backs, so there are probably a few more than that as well. There have a been a couple threads in the past on the blank backs. I think only 1 (Krause I believe) can be definitively traced to E90-1. The others could be a handful of different sets including E101/E92. While I don't actively look for them, I don't recall seeing many that have the registration quite that far off.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

I know I have seen quite a few E101/E102 cards with markings, the ones I remember were on the top center border, sometimes just a vertical red mark, sometimes a longer horizontal dash, sometimes a cross hatch.

I have one only one blank back in my prewar collection that wasn't due to back damage or plain old skinning, and it happens to be...McLean, just like the one Brian showed. Because of the shared design, it could be from E90-1, E92, E101 or E105.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; Yesterday at 10:00 PM. Reason: changed the oopsie daisy on set availability
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Default RedKleinow E102

Here is my Red Kleinow oddity. Added the usual E102 card to the right for comparison.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E102KLEINOW.jpg (60.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg KE102.jpg (84.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; Yesterday at 10:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Menagerie

Wish I still had my Kleinow with the Menagerie back...sorry just talking to myself...Jerry
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Patrick, looks like your Kleinow is missing some clouds
Old Today, 12:31 AM

Here is a cruddy scan of my McLean blank back. As far as I can tell it is like E92.

Brian (always vulnerable to a little penciled-in suggestion)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e92mcleanblankback 001 (356x640).jpg (85.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg e92mcleanblankback 002 (353x640).jpg (70.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: resized scans