NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2023, 05:16 PM

Default Pre-War and Vintage

The past few months I have been cruising the internet for articles and videos about older baseball cards and their future. Seems like most people are tagging vintage as strictly post WW2, often referring to 1952-1980. And 90+% of what I find is about Vintage. Upon basic internet search, there is almost no pre-War current articles/videos.

Generally, the Vintage market is doing well compared to Modern. A couple sites mention the last year to be break-even to down 5% for Vintage prices. Modern has dropped like a rock, but then Modern did spike more to begin with during the pandemic. I haven't seen such data on pre-War, and I imagine it depends on the cards you have - from which sets, top tier HOFers vs lower HOFers vs commons. From what I have, I am going to guess during the last year, nice pre-War was generally up 5-10%.

One video mentioned that as many of the older Baby Boomer collectors pass, we will see an influx of raw Vintage hitting the market and getting newly graded by their heirs. Supposedly, many of these collectors may not have jumped on the Grading Bandwagon and have retained their cards as raw. They speculate this influx may put a damper on the Vintage market and values may actually drop. OK, yeah, I see the argument here. My thought is that yes, a lot of Vintage cards will come to market, but how many will be high end caliber - PSA 8 range? A boatload of 2-5 grades, perhaps most likely. If so, might that do the opposite and push high grade up even higher?

Now move to pre-War. do these same older Baby Boomers have binders full of raw pre-War sitting around for heirs to take to market and get graded? Gee, I don't know - what do you think? If heirs don't find quantity of pre-War, we could see a larger separation between Vintage and pre-War with the Cobb's and Ruth's and such continuing to escalate substantially. What do you think?

Regardless, I love pre-War. the vast majority of what I have is pre-War. I am thinking selling Vintage and Modern (not that it's a lot) except for a few special super nice handful and seeking a solid pre-War want list card (T206 Cobb, bat off).

Enough rambling, cheers y'all!
Old 01-18-2023, 06:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is enough money, dealers and collectors to absorb any new pre-war collections coming to market, without there being a glut of cards and devaluation.

and a pre-war card....thanks again Peter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb3.jpg (188.9 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-18-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:57 AM

Interesting thoughts. I collect mainly pre-War. New collectors whom I have had discussions and have collected strictly modern cards previously say they are slowly discovering older cards. I am not sure what this means for their appetite for pre-war cards and understanding all of the little quirks in sets like the T206. However, this is how I got hooked. One of my first pre-war acquisitions was made as an afterthought. I was hooked from that point forward.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:29 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Personal opinion -

As the aging baby boomer collectors pass, there may be a slight boost in prewar in the market but I would not foresee a crash in values. That said, I do not see long term gains exceeding inflation but stability in those values with the occasional couple year blips of ups or downs like history always shows.

Personally, I would be more concerned about shrink in the vintage 50s-60's as the ungraded held quantities are likely vast and those will appear at greater numbers during liquidation of estates. Also, prewar has a miniscule handful of people holding childhood cards of players they watched. The baby boomer generation is core for demand of childhood heroes at the specific moment in that group. The market has much more volume of assets and the growing collectors may very likely not absorb that volume without a value leveling.

Ultra-modern currently is seeing a crash due to overproduction and the shrinking numbers not picking up the slack with growth after the pandemic. We are sitting quite firmly in the second junkwax (and junkslab) era.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:41 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Hi justin

And the huge loses with the ultra modern scary
Old 01-18-2023, 08:08 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is enough money, dealers and collectors to absorb any new pre-war collections coming to market, without there being a glut of cards and devaluation.
Agreed.
... and there is only so much; original, circulated material that has survived; especially in the E World; BSF (skewer of E98 numbers) not withstanding.
(I would rather say, "The hell with BSF" but I am not that kinda collector, I think.)
Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 01-18-2023, 08:13 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
And the huge loses with the ultra modern scary
Scary but not unexpected

And there is such a demand for pre war that anything that comes to market will be easily absorbed

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-18-2023, 08:23 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Interesting thoughts. I collect mainly pre-War. New collectors whom I have had discussions and have collected strictly modern cards previously say they are slowly discovering older cards. I am not sure what this means for their appetite for pre-war cards and understanding all of the little quirks in sets like the T206. However, this is how I got hooked. One of my first pre-war acquisitions was made as an afterthought. I was hooked from that point forward.
Zach,

Just curious - what were the first prewar acquisitions that got you hooked? How long ago was that and how much has the price of your first pre-war acquisitions increased? If you started today, would you be hooked on it based on the valuations of today?

I wonder what these new collectors will think if/when they start researching prices in pre-war and find out how they feel about the price run up of the past several years and then having that feeling of missing the boat. Do you think some might just say screw this?

A decade ago, putting together a basic T206 set seemed somewhat possible, now the HOFers and a few others will really cut into your collecting budget and the commons (unless trashed) will not be that cheap anymore.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:42 AM

Anecdotal...nonetheless...

We saw a huge bump in everything, especially modern and ultra-modern, from the investor class more associated with sneaker collectors and adjacent non-traditional investors (digital coins, etc).

A lot of those those people are holding or exiting, or have already exited.

We also saw a lot of people returning to the hobby of their childhood during the COVID shutdown times. Junk wax suddenly became relatively valuable (especially well graded stuff) as they recreated what they once had or never could get when they were younger.

A lot of these guys are sticking around and gravitating toward vintage and pre-war. They realized they could finally get a T206 and caught the bug. Some started learning about other releases outside of the T206s. Many are still learning. They want a Cracker Jack card. They want a T205. They're trying to figure out caramel, bakery, etc cards (which require a bit more of a deep dive).

I don't know how long they'll stick around, but guys I saw chasing 1989 "F-Face" Billy Ripken cards and Griffey Jr rookies are totally getting into that pre-1980s stuff.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:52 AM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Personally, I would be more concerned about shrink in the vintage 50s-60's as the ungraded held quantities are likely vast and those will appear at greater numbers during liquidation of estates.
Agreed. There are probably tens of millions of ungraded '66 Topps cards not yet in the market, to use an example.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:24 AM
John

Don't discount the damage of natural disasters. There are only so many pre-war cards still around, but as we've seen with wildfires and flooding, many of those collections can be lost forever.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 01-18-2023, 11:26 AM

This board has a large audience of pure collectors. I don't think any of us would be upset if the vintage market was flooded and prices came down. I can only hope for as much.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.c...start-the-year

According to Card Ladder, prewar it tracks was way up for 2022. Postwar vintage was down 5%.

Not a surprise. Mainstream postwar is 90% demand driven. There is plenty of it available at all times, unless you are looking for PSA 9-10 or a tough regional.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-18-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
This board has a large audience of pure collectors. I don't think any of us would be upset if the vintage market was flooded and prices came down. I can only hope for as much.
Did you really type that in this thread? I'm looking forward to the day when the price of cardboard is back to being the price of cardboard and not the price of gold. We can only dream of the big 2023 vintage card price meltdown.

Ok, let's read about how/why that's not going to happen...
Old 01-18-2023, 02:24 PM

Is anyone who collects T206s because they enjoy pre-war cards really going to lament the coming hoard of potentially affordable Ty Cobbs?

Or will there be a panic when Ruth Goudeys drop a thousand dollars?

Not for me. That'll be one of my finest hours.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Is anyone who collects T206s because they enjoy pre-war cards really going to lament the coming hoard of potentially affordable Ty Cobbs?

Or will there be a panic when Ruth Goudeys drop a thousand dollars?

Not for me. That'll be one of my finest hours.
+1. I doubt it happens, but a complete collapse would be awesome. I could build my sets for much cheaper. It would also mean we wouldn’t have the same 3 or 4 money threads ten times a week and would have to find something else to talk about.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:37 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
+1. I doubt it happens, but a complete collapse would be awesome. I could build my sets for much cheaper. It would also mean we wouldn’t have the same 3 or 4 money threads ten times a week and would have to find something else to talk about.
Oh, I seriously doubt that we would stop talking about it.

The conversation would merely shift to whether the market would come back in time for all of us to retire.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-18-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Zach,

Just curious - what were the first prewar acquisitions that got you hooked? How long ago was that and how much has the price of your first pre-war acquisitions increased? If you started today, would you be hooked on it based on the valuations of today?

I wonder what these new collectors will think if/when they start researching prices in pre-war and find out how they feel about the price run up of the past several years and then having that feeling of missing the boat. Do you think some might just say screw this?

A decade ago, putting together a basic T206 set seemed somewhat possible, now the HOFers and a few others will really cut into your collecting budget and the commons (unless trashed) will not be that cheap anymore.
I will answer some of your questions, but other questions I have to leave unanswered. I was always a collector. I didn't really concentrate on pre-war until I got a T206 Johnson as a throw in on a purchase of some cards from the '50's. The T206 Johnson had well rounded corners. About the same time, I saw these funny looking fold-over cards (T201's). I bought a bunch including one of Zach Wheat. Those cards really started the journey. I ran in to Lew Lipsett and bought his book (Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards) which was a great learning tool. I still reference his book.

Yes, I would still be hooked on collecting pre-war today. I just thought it was neat to have a piece of history and started learning about all the players. There are still a number of opportunities for collectors new to pre-war. As Ted Z has shown there are numerous ways to collect T206 given all the subsets.

IMO, the 1952 Topps set is the post-war equivalent of t206 and presents a great opportunity even in today's market. However, acquiring a complete set of the mid-series gray backs is not likely to be completed.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 01-18-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:26 PM
Fred

I bet T206 was the gateway card/drug that pushed a lot of people to get hooked on vintage.

One way to look at the crazy price valuations is to compare minimum wage to the price of a Cobb T206. I think minimum wage was about $2 and change at the end of the 70s. A VG T206 Cobb was probably $25 (thereabout, possibly a little less) around that time. Let's call minimum wage about $15/hour today and then look at the price of a F-G Cobb in today's market.

I can't imagine trying to start a collection on a tight budget with today's card valuations. It's sad because unless you have a good amount of resources, then trying to collect sets today is near impossible. Niche collecting is about the only way to go with limited resources. In my opinion, that just makes it less enticing to want to enter the hobby. If you're a kid and want to start collecting then having a parent that collected when they were younger certainly helps, otherwise the collection will be a lot less than it was for a bunch of us older geezers that started when we were kids.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Drew W@i$e

Two things I have noted during the run up about prewar.

1. It was crazy that beat up T206s commons were selling for $20-$30. That has subsided, which is great.

2. The T206 Cobb price explosion has also subsided.

My only wish is that newer collector learn that, for the most part, T206 commons and even some star cards are not that rare.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:07 AM
octavio ranzola

im paying $80 to $90 dollars for really nice t206 psa 2s god help me lol