NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2023, 11:02 AM

Default Unbelievable BST happenings

I've been on the Net54 platform since the very beginning and have always enjoyed it with the information, camaraderie, and many transactions. Last night I happened on a card in the BST and since it appeared still for sale, I posted a reply on the thread that I would take it. I then received emails (not through Net 54) indicating that the card was mine and giving PayPal IDs to send the money to and email them my mailing address. The problem was the emails were from 3 different people! Unbelievable! Now I received a PM through Net 54 from the person who appears to be the person who created the thread on BST but I am a little gun shy. It's a damn shame when things like this happen.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:11 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I know this is somewhat counter productive to the premise of B/S/T but maybe there comes a time when one only communicates via PM to engage in a buy/sale/trade of an item in these sections.

That is really the closest one can come to ensuring you are communicating with the actual person that is offering on the B/S/T site. Another method is ask Leon to validate the person but that will eventually become overwhelming for him too.

Just do not post your intentions on the thread and communicate with them "off-line" seems like the way to go. Even that has its pitfalls.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I've been on the Net54 platform since the very beginning and have always enjoyed it with the information, camaraderie, and many transactions. Last night I happened on a card in the BST and since it appeared still for sale, I posted a reply on the thread that I would take it. I then received emails (not through Net 54) indicating that the card was mine and giving PayPal IDs to send the money to and email them my mailing address. The problem was the emails were from 3 different people! Unbelievable! Now I received a PM through Net 54 from the person who appears to be the person who created the thread on BST but I am a little gun shy. It's a damn shame when things like this happen.
It's been happening for a few years now. I am told they are getting through the Tapatalk s/w we have installed but I am not sure of that. I agree and if I could stop them I would. All we can do is put the warnings out there. A super nice, older member whom happens to be a lawyer also, reached out to me yesterday about being scammed in the last few days, but he put it on his AMEX so will probably be ok. He said he knew it was his fault but it still happens. A damn shame it is.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:21 AM

Hi Leon, I hope you are doing well. I have a question for you- I spotted a card I needed in the BST a T207 Phelan red cycle back, which was listed along with other T207 red cycle backs. The price was reasonable so last night I posted a reply in the thread that I would take it. I immediately received an email (not a Net 54 message) from a Steve Bruce (stevebruce925@gmail.com) and today received one (again not a Net 54 message) from a Dcm Drek (dcmdrek@gmail.com) both saying to email them my mailing address and providing a PayPal ID where to send the money. Wait it gets weirder- then I get a PM from the guy I suspect really owns the card and another Paypal ID. That's three! Never had a problem with a BST transaction going all the way back to the beginning. When I verify the true owner I will complete the transaction but it's made me a little gun shy.
Take care.
Bob
Old 02-12-2023, 11:21 AM

Thanks Butch, I will do that from now on.
tbob
Old 02-12-2023, 11:33 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Bob, any idea how they got your email address? I looked at your post and it isn't in the body of the reply.

It seems a lot of these scumbags are pulling emails from sellers or buyers with their email in the post.

Leon, have you experienced any breach of the PM system? I've always used a PM first and exchanged emails with the other party after that. Of course, if they have a low post count I'll usually vet them before exchanging information.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 02-12-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:38 AM
Danny Smith

DM really seems the only way to go. I’ve been getting a ton of emails as well outside of the Net 54 platform that are suspicious.

Any way we could keep a list of e-mail scammers?
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:28 PM
octavio ranzola

In all my time here zero issues ,,leon runs a tight ship.Deal with folks you know and have done business with.If it seems to good to true pass on the deal ,,not worth it .
Old 02-12-2023, 12:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Bob, any idea how they got your email address? I looked at your post and it isn't in the body of the reply.

It seems a lot of these scumbags are pulling emails from sellers or buyers with their email in the post.

Leon, have you experienced any breach of the PM system? I've always used a PM first and exchanged emails with the other party after that. Of course, if they have a low post count I'll usually vet them before exchanging information.
If the scammers are "registered" even though they really aren't, as we are seeing, then they can PM. All registered members can PM.

The DCM character is the one that scammed the gentleman I referred to in my previous post. All I can say is members need to do their homework and make sure the members they deal with are who they say they are and are approved, registered members. This guy has 0 posts. That is a HUGE red flag and almost always a scammer. Just look at stuff, folks....PM me, it's not overwhelming. I always answer them and usually quickly....
LL
Old 02-12-2023, 12:54 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If the scammers are "registered" even though they really aren't, as we are seeing, then they can PM. All registered members can PM.

The DCM character is the one that scammed the gentleman I referred to in my previous post. All I can say is members need to do their homework and make sure the members they deal with are who they say they are and are approved, registered members. This guy has 0 posts. That is a HUGE red flag and almost always a scammer. Just look at stuff, folks....PM me, it's not overwhelming. I always answer them and usually quickly....
LL
Ding, ding, ding...

TBob,

For clarification - did any of the responses have a contact information that went along with the BST sellers post? How many posts did the BST seller with the T207s have?

Last edited by Fred; 02-12-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:04 PM
Drew W@i$e

What if net54 had a nominal fee every year to stay registered?
That might cut down on the scammers.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:27 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I will only deal with established members. Only had great experiences so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I will only deal with established members.
Define established.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:38 PM
Bruce Mattioli

If paying with PayPal G&S are you not covered or am I missing something..
Old 02-12-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ding, ding, ding...

TBob,

For clarification - did any of the responses have a contact information that went along with the BST sellers post? How many posts did the BST seller with the T207s have?
The guy who posted is legit, 531 posts, and we consummated the transaction. The other two bozos must have pulled my email address from an old post on Net 54. I long for the earlier days of Net 54 when we didn’t have to put up with these scumbags. My first red flag was one of the ‘sellers’ sent a PayPal ID that wasn’t anything like the true seller’s Net 54 name.

Last edited by tbob; 02-12-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:47 PM
Chad

So basically don't deal with people with 0 posts, don't have your email visible, or announce you'll take it or buy it in the post. Contact the seller via dm, and maybe they can post pending or sold, and make sure it's the sellers net54 handle. Does that cover most of it?
Old 02-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Fred

Bob, it's good to hear about the positive ending. It's just sad that those trolls are monitoring our board.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:49 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Define established.

Guys like Kevin Mize… oh wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2023, 05:48 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Define established.
Members who have a lot of posts, and/or list of successful deals in their signature....
every time I have done a deal, I do those simple checks. If someone has 500 posts and I can see back and forth in threads, it is a good sign. Sometimes I check/vouch through other members.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 02-13-2023, 01:08 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Guys like Kevin Mize… oh wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know him. Super easy transaction until I wanted to return the card.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo