NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Michael

Default Prices discussion

It seems most of the easy signing HOFers especially those who are recently deceased but even most of the living ones- if you want to purchase an autograph of the in the secondary market on a 195s or 1960's card you can pay anywhere from $30 to many hundreds or thousands even if just a few years ago they were $10 and then rookies of guys like Koufax have tripled in just a few years. Does anyone think either of these trends will reverse or are the days of $10 playing day kaline and Snider cards etc long gone???
Old 02-20-2023, 04:24 PM

I think that the answer to your last question is pretty straightforward. Maybe not $10, but any HOFer who was around to see the signed card explosion will remain mostly affordable on the cards that were already fairly affordable to buy unsigned. We're talking about the guys like Brooksie, Herzog and the like, who did (or still do) sign through the mail for $5-10 and have done lots of cheaply priced signings. Snider and Kaline may creep up a little bit, as many of their cards are from earlier times, but their later career-era cards will always be more plentiful and affordable than those nice, early career issues.

Koufax has always been in his own special little world, from his exorbitant signing fees and the willingness of people with a lot of disposable income to pay them. I used to understand to a point, but the dollar amounts associated with it separated themselves from my idea of logic a long time ago.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-20-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:33 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Koufax has always been in his own special little world, from his exorbitant signing fees and the willingness of people with a lot of disposable income to pay them. I used to understand to a point, but the dollar amounts associated with it separated themselves from my idea of logic a long time ago.
It's the logic of supply and demand. Wait til he's gone!
Old 02-20-2023, 05:00 PM

I don't think we will see prices like 5-10 years ago, but demand from the market will have a significant impact on fees. Remember, when your purchasing the autograph on a vintage card from the 50s, a significant amount of the value is for the card, and the autograph is just added value. PSA caught on a few years back, and when you send them, for example, a 51 Whitey Ford. Unless you pay for having the card authenticated and graded, they will only put Trading Card on the label and certify the autograph. This leaves a lot of potential buyers wondering if the card is an authentic 51, or a reprint that was signed. I am awaiting the arrival of the attached example PSA just finished grading. It is an authentic 51 Bowman autographed rookie of Ford. I payed the extra fees and had the card authenticated and graded in addition to the autograph authentication. With that, it will leave no doubt in the prospective buyer's mind that the card is an authentic 51 Bowman.

If the card is a vintage autographed card, the player is a Hall of Fame caliber player, and the player is deceased - it will demand a premium and is very likely not to go down in price. There are still some very good bargains out there if you're looking long term. An example, in my opinion, is Tony Gwynn. Still relatively affordable - there will never be any increase in quantities signed - he meets all the criteria (except for maybe the vintage).

I don't really know if the current price demand for signers equates to current market value of the signed item. Take Pete Rose who basically made his living from signings for the last few decades. You can easily buy a signed item of his much cheaper than paying his autograph fees - this makes no sense but it's true. All you have to do is shop around.

In today's market where Mike Schmidt is charging 500-800 dollars to sign his rookie card is crazy. He does it because people are willing to pay it.

I have several hundred hard signed cards that have just come to me through the years. At the time I acquired them, they didn't have much value above the value of a raw card. In some case's I believe it may have diminished the value of the card!

If I was a young collector (30-40 years old), I would invest in some of the Hall of Fame signed cards and just hold them for another 20-30 years and sell them at what I believe would be a significant increase. At my current age, that's not possible.

A few years ago I sold an autographed rookie card of Koufax, PSA certified, for $600. I was happy to get it at the time. Those years are unfortunately gone.

Also remember that a lot of those autographs on vintage cards (such as the Koufax I sold), were autographed for free! Most of the players were happy to autograph just about anything and was appreciative of just being asked. You mentioned Snider - he was a class gentleman and would willingly autograph items for anyone that would nicely ask.

As with any autograph you're considering, be skeptical. If buying raw, unseen, through the internet - I would recommend purchasing either graded versions or at such a price you could live with it turns out being fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA Front.jpg (204.1 KB, 362 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:06 AM
D@vid Fel@

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
It seems most of the easy signing HOFers especially those who are recently deceased but even most of the living ones- if you want to purchase an autograph of the in the secondary market on a 195s or 1960's card you can pay anywhere from $30 to many hundreds or thousands even if just a few years ago they were $10 and then rookies of guys like Koufax have tripled in just a few years. Does anyone think either of these trends will reverse or are the days of $10 playing day kaline and Snider cards etc long gone???
There will be a correction at some point because prices got stupid the last few years. I doubt it will go back to where it was but the days of a 10 dollar signed snider are probably long gone.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:58 PM

Koufax really has gone up. Willie Mays too. Even 70s Hank Aaron is pricey now. Not sure it'll go back down for those guys. I'm just glad I bought early.

I do think Musial and Feller will stay relatively affordable for a long time. And those are two nice HOFers to be able to collect easily.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:13 PM

With Mays' inability to sign and Koufax' unavailability to sign at a reasonable price, you could almost say they've been "dead" since before the signed card boom. So few people were getting their career-era cards signed when they were signing for next to nothing, or even when their rates started rocketing from the $3 church basement days. Let's not even get into Koufax' sister and Mays' wives signing the deluge of TTM requests that came in. At least Koufax would sometimes do it himself (surprisingly, still does on the very rare occasion).
Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 PM
Michael

Quote:
With Mays' inability to sign and Koufax' unavailability to sign at a reasonable price, you could almost say they've been "dead" since before the signed card boom. So few people were getting their career-era cards signed when they were signing for next to nothing, or even when their rates started rocketing from the $3 church basement days. Let's not even get into Koufax' sister and Mays' wives signing the deluge of TTM requests that came in. At least Koufax would sometimes do it himself (surprisingly, still does on the very rare occasion).
can you post a Koufax sister signed item please?
Old 02-21-2023, 06:17 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Secretarial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72930F42-32E8-4605-91B8-B869C8A7E49A.jpg (182.4 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:10 PM
Dan Bretta

Koufax autos on modern insert cards can still be had for way less than his signing fee. Not sure why people are paying it unless they want a specific item signed.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:14 PM
Michael

thanks Jason
Old 02-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Koufax really has gone up. Willie Mays too. Even 70s Hank Aaron is pricey now. Not sure it'll go back down for those guys. I'm just glad I bought early.

I do think Musial and Feller will stay relatively affordable for a long time. And those are two nice HOFers to be able to collect easily.
The thing with Willie Mays is his market for quite sometime was supresed substantially by the flood of what, early on, were believed to be good autographs with the "Say Hey" hologram.

These were available via every major autograph channel pretty much whenever one wanted, for well under $200, even "inscribed". Once the fraud of all the Say Hey items was exposed (Steve Hoskins signing them vs Mays himself), and the TPAs caught on and have steadily invalidated old certs and the general information about them being fake was exposed to a larger proponent of the market, collectors flocked to the genuine items to replace their bogus ones. Inscriptions are far tougher on Mays than many realized and the prices of quality sweetspot balls pushed into the mid to upper 200s. Inscribed baseballs easily bring in 4x that number now.

The other portion is after watching so many of the "card show era" heavy hitters pass away recently (Aaron, Frank Robinson, McCovey etc), Mays is far and away the last generational level player left and at nearly 92 and in poor health probably doesn't have long left so you've got a lot of collectors buying in anticipation of that inevitable surge.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
The thing with Willie Mays is his market for quite sometime was supresed substantially by the flood of what, early on, were believed to be good autographs with the "Say Hey" hologram.

These were available via every major autograph channel pretty much whenever one wanted, for well under $200, even "inscribed". Once the fraud of all the Say Hey items was exposed (Steve Hoskins signing them vs Mays himself), and the TPAs caught on and have steadily invalidated old certs and the general information about them being fake was exposed to a larger proponent of the market, collectors flocked to the genuine items to replace their bogus ones. Inscriptions are far tougher on Mays than many realized and the prices of quality sweetspot balls pushed into the mid to upper 200s. Inscribed baseballs easily bring in 4x that number now.

The other portion is after watching so many of the "card show era" heavy hitters pass away recently (Aaron, Frank Robinson, McCovey etc), Mays is far and away the last generational level player left and at nearly 92 and in poor health probably doesn't have long left so you've got a lot of collectors buying in anticipation of that inevitable surge.
The Mays "Sey Hey" issue doesn't pertain to signed vintage cards as is being discussed here. While an important subject to discuss, it's a separate matter altogether. That was limited to modern material: balls, bats and photos, etc.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-23-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:19 AM

A Willie for the thread:

Old 02-23-2023, 10:57 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Here's mine:

Old 02-23-2023, 11:30 AM

I also like Mays vintage autograph - you know - back when you could actually read his name!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8596.jpg (200.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:21 PM

How about a vintage Hank for the crowd too:

Old 02-23-2023, 01:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Still some major upside for a lot of undervalued cards. I just cant imagine prices going any higher. Hence why I sold!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-23-2023, 01:52 PM

There will definitely be a bump for Koufax and Mays upon their deaths. There was with Aaron and he was a lot more accessible.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:43 AM
Kevin

Quote:
The Mays "Sey Hey" issue doesn't pertain to signed vintage cards as is being discussed here. While an important subject to discuss, it's a separate matter altogether. That was limited to modern material: balls, bats and photos, etc.
Correct, but the overall price increase of his autograph does, and this plays a heavy part in the substantial jump in all mediums inclusive of cards.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:28 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Here's mine:

AND SO is this one...ooofffff
Old 03-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Still some major upside for a lot of undervalued cards. I just cant imagine prices going any higher. Hence why I sold!
you did. You were ahead of your time in the old autograph card racket for sure. Nice
Old 03-01-2023, 11:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
you did. You were ahead of your time in the old autograph card racket for sure. Nice

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Thread Hijacking Post ALERT

What about single signed HOF balls? Any correlation with the signed card market?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:04 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
What about single signed HOF balls? Any correlation with the signed card market?
Usually move in tandem with the players overall market. Signed cards may jump at higher multipliers depending on card/condition, but generally SS balls move up or down as the card markets do.

A bit more nuanced, but population plays into as well. There are far more signed mantle Baseballs than Cards in the marketplace, for example, so cards will tend to out-perform given population counts.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:36 PM

I think it'll depend on the player and their tendencies as a signer. For example, I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a vintage Hank Aaron than the big unwieldy signature he had at the end of his life. Same with Stan Musial, etc.