NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2023, 06:13 AM
Adam

Default Saying Hello!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make a post to say hi! I'm a new member here and a first time collector of T206. I got hooked a little bit on these cards last month, and I'm thinking about going for the whole thing. I have 6 so far mostly in lower grades (1-2.5) but all with very good eye appeal. I'm thinking about tackling the set by teams starting with the Highlanders since I'm a Yankees fan.

To start a conversation I have two questions I'm hoping to pose to the group.

1) As some veterans who've seen a lot, what advice would you give to someone just getting started?

2). In 2023 what would you consider a good price for a card? I've read some articles and listened to some podcasts and hear people saying $20-30 for a common? Is that still accurate, it feels like card prices have shot up. Let's assume I'm going to shoot for cards maybe in the Pr-Good range with good front eye appeal and common backs.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-07-2023, 06:51 AM
AP

Welcome! I haven’t been here long myself but I will say that I’ve learned more here than I could’ve imagined. As for advice, there’s a million different ways to collect the monster. Find what makes you happiest and run with it! For me personally, I really like the rare cards that don’t come up often. I actually just bought my first broad leaf back yesterday!

Never stop learning! There is so much information out there about this set and everyone here will always answer any questions you have! Welcome to net54 and congratulations on your journey of collecting the most elusive, exciting and broad sets of all time!
Old 03-07-2023, 07:26 AM
John Hanssen

Keep your eyes open for small lot many times they can be your best per card cost. Also be open to (trading) any dupes. My collection has many quality card that came from trading vintage for prewar.

And welcome to net54

Last edited by nebboy; 03-07-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the fray. Find some areas you enjoy and go for it. For me, I like lower to mid level HOF'ers with big borders. There are an endless number of ways to collect T206. Enjoy the ride, hunting is a lot, or most, of the fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyb.jpg (167.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
Welcome to the sub, you won't find a greater group of folks.

Conventional wisdom says when collecting a set get the big boys out of the way so get your Wagner first....

Seriously, the T206 provides so many ways to collect for every budget.

Good luck on your journey.

And a card.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Tinker (2).jpg (141.5 KB, 135 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 AM

Good afternoon, JKPolk, welcome to card collecting and the Net54 forum!

I can only offer you advice. Though I never aspired to collect "THE MONSTER", I have collected off and on since 1961, and hope I can give you some sound reasoning.

You're excited! You're pumped to get collecting. This is when you're vulnerable, though you have narrowed down your focus of what you want to collect in T206. Be careful; you might change your mind. Go to a large or semi-large sports card show. Take your time examining what's out there. There's nothing like seeing a large variety of T206s in the flesh. Save your money, for now.

Sounds like you're gravitating to graded cards with good eye appeal---good for you! Just try to make sure you know yourself and what really pushes your button before you get in too deep.

Glad you're a Yankees fan; I've had fun collecting some of Aaron Judge's cards I find appealing. They cannot possibly appreciate, but I had a lot of fun enjoying his journey throughout 2022. With current card producers making a kazillion different cards of Aaron since his career began, I'm left with choosing what attracts my eye, as you for T206.

So my collecting bro, have fun, lots a fun! --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-07-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Jimmy

Welcome! happing collecting

Jimmy
Old 03-07-2023, 12:53 PM

Welcome, JKPolk. We are a fun crowd!
Old 03-07-2023, 01:14 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Good afternoon, JKPolk, welcome to card collecting and the Net54 forum!

I can only offer you advice. Though I never aspired to collect "THE MONSTER", I have collected off and on since 1961, and hope I can give you some sound reasoning.

You're excited! You're pumped to get collecting. This is when you're vulnerable, though you have narrowed down your focus of what you want to collect in T206. Be careful; you might change your mind. Go to a large or semi-large sports card show. Take your time examining what's out there. There's nothing like seeing a large variety of T206s in the flesh. Save your money, for now.

Sounds like you're gravitating to graded cards with good eye appeal---good for you! Just try to make sure you know yourself and what really pushes your button before you get in too deep.

Glad you're a Yankees fan; I've had fun collecting some of Aaron Judge's cards I find appealing. They cannot possibly appreciate, but I had a lot of fun enjoying his journey throughout 2022. With current card producers making a kazillion different cards of Aaron since his career began, I'm left with choosing what attracts my eye, as you for T206.

So my collecting bro, have fun, lots a fun! --- Brian Powell
This is great advice thank you so much! We have a local show here monthly with about 40 tables, I go to quite frequently but I haven't taken too much time with the vintage tables.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:17 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrewarCollective View Post
Welcome! I haven’t been here long myself but I will say that I’ve learned more here than I could’ve imagined. As for advice, there’s a million different ways to collect the monster. Find what makes you happiest and run with it! For me personally, I really like the rare cards that don’t come up often. I actually just bought my first broad leaf back yesterday!

Never stop learning! There is so much information out there about this set and everyone here will always answer any questions you have! Welcome to net54 and congratulations on your journey of collecting the most elusive, exciting and broad sets of all time!
I feel very fortunate to stumble on this website. Such a wealth of information, I'm really looking froward to the journey. Congrats on the broad leaf! I'm hoping at some point to collect one of each back (at least the realistically obtainable ones). I think they are a great conversation topic when sharing the set with friends and family.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:09 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Welcome to the group. The best advice I can give you and anyone else that's just starting to collect the T206 set is to take things slow. Collecting this set is not a race to the finish line, but more of a marathon, even though there are a few collectors that might make it feel like a race, especially when you see so many pictures of cards that others have. You will actually start to notice that the fun part is in the hunt and not the completion. Study the set as much as you can, and search ebay's sold listings for the certain cards that you are looking to aquire. This way you can see the range in prices for a certain grade or condition you would be happy with. Split the prices up, by card back, because the card back is just as important as the player on the front. Once you have an idea of the price range for a certain card, with a certain back, and in a grade you prefer, then you are ready to search for that card and know what you should pay for it, when one comes along. If it's an auction, you will know the maximum you should pay. If you win the card for less, then you know you made a good purchase. If you get outbid, and it's a common back, just wait for the next one. With common back cards, there's plenty to go around. The last thing you want to do is over pay for a card. An exception would be if it's the last card you need to finish a certain group, and you keep getting outbid when one shows up. That's when you need to adjust the high side of the range to pay. So basically, study the sold prices, and do your best to pay within that range.

The second piece of advice that I can share is to only purchase ebay Buy It Now cards, if it's within your buy range. Usually they are priced higher than where an auction will end up at. Always ask around if the seller of a Buy It Now card, is a member of Net54. Because you will most likely get a better price working a deal off of ebay, because you will save on taxes and the seller will save on fee's, and that will allow them to come down on the price.

The last piece of advice I can share, is to have fun. You should always be enjoying the hobby. If you find yourself getting stressed out, or spending too much, where you put yourself into a financial bind, then it's time to stop, take a few steps back, and evaluate the situation. If you realize that you need to take a break or even sell your cards, if you bought within the range, then you should be able to sell within that same range and come out of the set with little to no loss. The only exception is if you are trying to sell quickly, then you are more likely to lose money on your investment.

I hope this information makes some sence and is helpful to you and others just getting started.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-07-2023, 07:47 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Welcome to the blast. Good luck, and happy collecting!