NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default This is an unbelievable amount of coin for this card!

Posted By: dan mckee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5215650772&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

PSA 1 with major paperloss on back? What should a decent PSA 3 bring?

Old 07-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

doesn't really look like a shill or anything either as the bidding increments are pretty steady. No one looking like they're fishing for high bid or anything. I agree.......too much $$.........X marks the spot.......(of paperloss)

Old 07-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Yes Tom, I checked that as well and saw no slippery bidding. Just an incredible amount of $$$ for that card in that condition. Dan.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I talked to someone last night about this(they shall remian nameless) and Elliot said he didnt think the price was too high because the front image is so nice.With this card and obviously the front being so important its more of someone buying the card,not the holder.If it werent graded someone wouldve listed it as vg/ex front but paper loss on the back which to me seems like a better description(for a seller) than just psa1.

I dont disagree with his thinking(eventho hes from canada).You could spend 10k on a psa3 of this card and the front image wouldnt be as nice as this one,so the price to me doesnt look so bad all things considered

Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Does anyone know how many of these cards exist (an approximate)? Perhaps people are bidding on the scarcity of the card and want a novelty card from "the Monster". Maybe it's a sign that the price of a T206 SHERRY MAGIE MAGEE error is going up.

I'm in the market for a cheap Plank!!!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I think Mastro has a PSA 3 coming in August, based on this one, that should bring $15K.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY to much $$$$ considering the defect.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Yes, I am he who no longer shall be nameless. John was speaking to me about the Magie. Also, I agree with Dan regarding the Plank.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

I meant PSA 3 Magie

Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Let's face it, people just cannot get enough of Mr. X's stuff. But seriously, this is about scarcity and about people who don't care about paper loss bidding on a card with a nice front.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I don't think this is an outrageous amount to pay for this card. Like the Plank (and Wagner), it seems the value of the rare T206s is on the rise. People have already pointed it out, but I would rather have this one than a creased up copy that migh have the same technical grade. For the collector of rarities and error cards, you aren't going to find a copy of the most famous error card in the hobby for much less. Same goes for the T206 collector who is trying to get as close as possible to completing the set. Plank and certainly Wagner may be outside the range of consideration for many, but Magie sits on the cusp. Anyway, if it is a high price, I don't think it is by much if any at all. And I doubt the whole Mr. X thing had anything to do with it. If I owned it, I would get it reholdered without the Mr. X label.
JimB

Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Dave Vintage sold one in a GAI 1.5 holder with no paperloss for $3500. I guess I am just putting too much emphasis on the paperloss. Defects are in the eyes of the beholder I guess. Dan.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

For me, as a collector (not investor) of T206's, paper loss on the back doesn't bother me too much. $4k is about 10 times the most I've ever paid for a card so I'd have to agree that the card is overpriced at least for my budget.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I agree Dan 100%; I expected 3k, which is crazy for that card because of the ebay environment and the whole laughable Mr. X stuff.

Just way too much money IMO, I had thought about bidding. But after seeing the Magie in Leland’s auction lot, I found out there are much better ones with paper loss. I don’t think the Mr. X looks as nice as the one in the lot below plus for the 4k you could flip the other cards. I’ve been offered nice 2’s for 5k I just think a ripped up back PSA 1 is a 2-3k card tops no matter how nice the front. Looks like my search for this card continues.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=785&auction=505

Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

In comparison the Leland's lot with the Magie was a steal. You're right you could have sold the other 102 cards from the Leland's lot and kept the Magie for about half the price of the ebay Magie.

The scans of the Mr. X Magie are not available anymore, did anyone happen to save them? If so, could you please post the front and back scans.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Old 07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the scan Elliot.

Keeping on the topic of tough cards from a vintage set: T207

The Lowdermilk is the tough card in this set. There is one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219016750&fromMakeTrack=true

Any guesses on how much this card will sell for? If you get this card then you probably have the toughest card in the set. Will people looking for rarities drive the price of this card up?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Judge- Lowdermilk is overrated. Ward Miller is the toughest card in the set among the top 5 price-wise. Lewis and Lowdermilk got the rep for being 1-2 in scarcity and price, becoming the Wagner and Plank of the T207 set but that is a myth, although one a lot of people believe.
By the way Donlin and Pelty are the scarcest among the "tough backs" (Broadleaf, Cycle and Anonymous) IMHO.
tbob

Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Administrator

That's why I like this forum so much. I'm not a T207 collector but I just learned something valuable. Thanks, Bob!

Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

In the 80s I always suspected that Lowdermilk was a lot more common than hobby myth claimed. I saw way too many of them, especially compared to Miller.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

The T207 PSA4 (MK) Lowdermilk is over $1K. Any guesses on the final price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219016750&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1