NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default Antique Football Napkin Ring ca. 1900?

Posted By: Ben

This napkin ring was part of my grandmother's collection. It has a very nice football scene. I was wondering if anyone can provide me with an approximate date and value? Thanks!

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Douglas

I don't have much info, but at first glance it appears more like a rugby game to me, than football.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

Does the ring have any markings inside or on the rim? I would be interested in purchasing it if you want to sell it.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Hmmm...could be rugby. Unfortunately, there are no markings on it. I am almost positive it is period (late 19th/early 20th century). My grandmother purchased it at least 30 years ago. I would consider selling it but honestly do not know a fair value.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't know the date of the holder itself, but that looks like an 1800s American football scene. I don't know much about rugby, but that's what early American football uniforms and play looked like. I'm no napkin holder expert, but I've seen similar vintage footbal holders offered in the $150-$275 range.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

The depiction and uniforms looks like c. 1890's.

Rob M.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Ben/Iron Horse, Congratulations you have a great napkin ring there. Thanks for posting such good clear photos. Your napkin ring was made by Reed and Barton between 1877 and 1887 and the art work represents American football not rugby. Reed and Barton also produced two different sized boxes, and a shaving cup, all with the same football scene relief as yours. I wrote a story on the box about five or six years ago which is posted on my site SportsAntiques.com. You can assess the story at the link below, and your napkin ring is referenced in it.
http://sportsantiques.com/ReedBartonFBBox.htm
Regarding your napkin ring's value value, I have an example which I got on eBay for $150 back in 2003. I don't know what it's value is today. Too bad you couldn't have gotten into the current Hunt Live Auction of all football memorabilia taking place at the Super bowl (which is previewed on my site). Best, -Carlton

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

That box is something.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Thank you for all the help. Carlton, that box sure is beautiful. If anyone is interested I am going to offer this piece for sale. $200.00 (including shipping). If interested please email me. I will post it on the BST soon.