NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-17-2020, 09:59 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Determining Ticket Dates for 74/75 Yankees

I thought I was pretty good at this, but maybe I'm not. I've been looking at a couple of Catfish Hunter win tickets from 1975. Most of the 74/75 tickets stubs I've seen do not have a date on them, but have a Yankee logo stamped on them and the number of the game. In the two cases I've attached, they are games 30 and 72. I've looked up the schedule for that season, and no matter how I figure it, I don't come up with those tickets being games where Catfish pitched. Am I missing something (probably) or are both these sellers wrong?
Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-N...YAAOSwPyResvqK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/June-15-197...QAAOSww4Jcvl11
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Go to keyman collectibles site. It look like that is where they got date from. I do not agree 100% with them (JMHO) BUT I believe that PSA also uses the same formula to calculate game dates.
I have really tried to stay with dated stubs but they make quests like yours even more difficult. I have a group of Shea stadium yankee stubs around someplace I will look and see if any are Catfish games. And I agree Catfish Hunter was a Great pitcher good luck with your mighty task.
Jonathan

Last edited by bigfanNY; 12-17-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Mike when you say you looked up the schedule, do you mean you looked at a Schedule from 1975 or went to baseball referance and looked at games played in 1975? I belive Keyman and others that worked on the Yankees grandstand / Bleacher project use the schedule posted by the club and MLB. The argument is they need to print tickets well in advance of the games so if game 30 is Chicago on June 15th on the schedule a fan can buy tickets opening day for that game. Now when June 15th comes around andvthere have been 2 rainouts it would be the 28th game they played but fans would need a stub with game 30 to get in.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 PM

Not sure if this helps your research at all, but I have this stub...I sought it out specifically, as it's the day I was born, Labor Day, 1974 (no pun intended).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.2.74.JPG (42.0 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 12-17-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Mike when you say you looked up the schedule, do you mean you looked at a Schedule from 1975 or went to baseball referance and looked at games played in 1975? I belive Keyman and others that worked on the Yankees grandstand / Bleacher project use the schedule posted by the club and MLB. The argument is they need to print tickets well in advance of the games so if game 30 is Chicago on June 15th on the schedule a fan can buy tickets opening day for that game. Now when June 15th comes around andvthere have been 2 rainouts it would be the 28th game they played but fans would need a stub with game 30 to get in.
I used Baseball Reference and counted the games, which I guess in some cases can be wrong if there are, as you said, rainouts etc. I did, however, go on to google and looked for photos of Yankee 1975 tickets, and found one that was the game 47/48 doubleheader which was also stamped with the date of July 27th. Using that ticket and game numbers, I was able to count back using baseball reference and count forward to find both of the tickets in question as being the right date...as I write this, I just checked and they also had a couple of dated tickets for games 30 and 72, so they look legit. With all that said, it's definitely not an easy process. I know I'm going to have a similar problem with some of Cat's Oakland tickets. Sometimes the attendance was so small that the general admission tickets had hand written dates and seat numbers. Guess those are taken with a bit of faith.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:00 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Go to keyman collectibles site. It look like that is where they got date from. I do not agree 100% with them (JMHO) BUT I believe that PSA also uses the same formula to calculate game dates.
I have really tried to stay with dated stubs but they make quests like yours even more difficult. I have a group of Shea stadium yankee stubs around someplace I will look and see if any are Catfish games. And I agree Catfish Hunter was a Great pitcher good luck with your mighty task.
Jonathan
Keyman is definitely the place to go for the best opinion, but when tickets don't have dates on them it's impossible to be 100% sure.

Keyman has reached out to me to tell me that I have dated tickets incorrectly, and while I appreciate the thought involved to do so, and I'm sure that they are correct about the vast majority (if not all) of their projected dates, when I buy a scrap book that has programs, tickets, press clippings and lots of hand written notes by the owner who went to, and kept score at, all of the games involved, I am going to take his notes as being correct.

Was ticket #56 supposed to be used for the July 7th game? I'm sure it was, but did they let my scrapbook guy into the game with Dan and Sally using ticket #34? If it's a valid previously unused ticket, I'm thinking maybe they did.

Short version of my "rant" - if you want to get a ticket for a specific game and be sure it's for that game, get a dated ticket. Option #2 find one that is attached to a scored program. Option #3 find an undated one that matches the original schedule (prior to rainouts, etc.)
Old 12-17-2020, 11:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I used Baseball Reference and counted the games, which I guess in some cases can be wrong if there are, as you said, rainouts etc. I did, however, go on to google and looked for photos of Yankee 1975 tickets, and found one that was the game 47/48 doubleheader which was also stamped with the date of July 27th. Using that ticket and game numbers, I was able to count back using baseball reference and count forward to find both of the tickets in question as being the right date...as I write this, I just checked and they also had a couple of dated tickets for games 30 and 72, so they look legit. With all that said, it's definitely not an easy process. I know I'm going to have a similar problem with some of Cat's Oakland tickets. Sometimes the attendance was so small that the general admission tickets had hand written dates and seat numbers. Guess those are taken with a bit of faith.
When I started collecting scored programs, I shortly after that started to collect the Sporting News, because I could use the box scores printed every week to date the games. This was before the internet and Retrosheet (which is where BR gets it info from).

If I were you I would start collecting team schedules, or press guides, or TSN guides, or similar, with schedules for the upcoming season.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 12-17-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great info guys. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:50 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Hey Doug great info. I sent a pm yesterday suggesting the same things. Pocket schedules are usually an easy pick up and if not yearbooks are a great alternative. Especially for 60's and 70's games.
Below is a "card" 1974 Yankee Tickettron yankee team.
With a 1974 Schedule on the reverse. And an April 26th 1975 Stub from Dounleheader where Hank Aaron hit his only regular season Home run vs the Yankees in opening game, second game was a Win for Hunter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201218_184343.jpg (81.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20201218_184329.jpg (77.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20201218_184412.jpg (73.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Keyman is definitely the place to go for the best opinion, but when tickets don't have dates on them it's impossible to be 100% sure.

Keyman has reached out to me to tell me that I have dated tickets incorrectly, and while I appreciate the thought involved to do so, and I'm sure that they are correct about the vast majority (if not all) of their projected dates, when I buy a scrap book that has programs, tickets, press clippings and lots of hand written notes by the owner who went to, and kept score at, all of the games involved, I am going to take his notes as being correct.

Was ticket #56 supposed to be used for the July 7th game? I'm sure it was, but did they let my scrapbook guy into the game with Dan and Sally using ticket #34? If it's a valid previously unused ticket, I'm thinking maybe they did.

Short version of my "rant" - if you want to get a ticket for a specific game and be sure it's for that game, get a dated ticket. Option #2 find one that is attached to a scored program. Option #3 find an undated one that matches the original schedule (prior to rainouts, etc.)
Mike,
I would absolutely agree with Doug on this.
This is solid advice.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Mike,
I would absolutely agree with Doug on this.
This is solid advice.
Thanks Scott! I think I've come to the conclusion that, for the most part, I'll be looking for "dated" tickets, but if some inexpensive ones come along undated but determined to be on the correct date I'll probably pick them up and possible upgrade them later.