NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-12-2021, 01:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Miracle Pocket Watches: Honus, Babe, Mantle and Maris... Beware!

Does anyone outside of Goldin Auctions believe these Pocket Watches to be authentic and of the era? They must think we are really gullible....

https://goldinauctions.com/Category/Memorabilia-31.html

First, this type of engraving (Sultan of Swat, Baseball Legends, etc.) was not invented when these were purportedly made. Second, the watch face graphics are laughable for the time period they supposedly represent.

Let's look at the "1900s" Honus Wagner Watch... the "Earliest Wagner Watch Type" according to Goldin...

https://goldinauctions.com/1900s_16S...-LOT89408.aspx

Make special note of the engraving on the reverse. Now let's look at the "1961" Mantle/Maris Watch...

https://goldinauctions.com/1960s_16S...-LOT89414.aspx

Gee.... that reverse engraving looks familiar! A sheer miracle that the engraving style did not change one iota from 1900 to 1961. And even more miraculous that watchmaker Ingersoll would use the same exact crossed bats motif in 1900 as rival watchmaker Ingraham employed in 1961.

Now lets look at the "1920-21" Babe Ruth Watch...

https://goldinauctions.com/1920_21_1...-LOT89409.aspx

This one is even more miraculous. It is from Babe's first-ever season with the Yankees, yet pictures him in a Red Sox Uniform. What a lucky day for us collectors... what are the odds! Even more astounding is the reverse engraving. In modern day font, it proclaims "Baseball Legends Babe Ruth". So he was already a baseball legend before ever swinging the bat as a New York Yankee!

There are 4 more that have modern day "Sultan of Swat" engraving on the reverse side. A type of engraving that was not even available in the 1950s. Here is one such example...

https://goldinauctions.com/1950s_16S...-LOT89413.aspx

So.... where did all of these watches miraculously come from? How could so many rare pieces be hitting Goldin's auction block all at the same time? Check out these recently completed auctions on eBay, and scroll all the way down...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...pg=50&_fosrp=1

Look familiar? Someone is taking vintage generic type pocket watches, removing the original dials, and replacing them with recently concocted Baseball themed dials. I could envision these "Franken-watches" fooling a few novice collectors. But the reverse engraving should fool nobody.

Just more greed plaguing our troubled hobby. Hope nobody gets burned too badly in Goldin. I informed them of the problem (in great detail), but these auctions continue to run.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Dave

LOL, at least they're nice looking fantasy pieces.

Not like the Ebay stuff we've been seeing for years, that are just old pieces of hardware, slapped with brand new engravings on them.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

1900s means 1901-1999. Which is more specific that "circa 1900s"

We weren't even supposed to be alive after Y2K, so let's count our blessings that we're here to complain.

Last edited by drcy; 06-12-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Tim Odeen

I would agree their 100 year approximation is problematic. I also don't think that 1920-21 watch is accurate. I agree with your astute attention to detail, too, that all of these watches are more likely more modern (post-1960) than Goldin is advertising them for.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-12-2021, 04:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
1900s means 1901-1999. Which is more specific that "circa 1900s"

We weren't even supposed to be alive after Y2K, so let's count our blessings that we're here to complain.
Yeah, maybe I could stretch so far as to believe they mean a 99 year time span. But to proclaim it "The earliest Wagner Watch Type" is something that even Stretch Armstrong wouldn't buy in to.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 AM
Rob

Those are ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Kevin O'Gara

What an absolute joke and I feel sorry for the people that actually bid on this crap
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I mean did goldin auctions actually think these were real
Old 06-13-2021, 12:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
I mean did goldin auctions actually think these were real
I kept thinking the same thing, as I re-read the descriptions multiple times.

Zero mention of replaced dials, modern engraving or overall pure fantasy. You'd think someone on the staff of an auction house of that size/scope would have put the kibosh on these. Definitely not worth jeopardizing your multi-million dollar reputation on these... even if they do reach 4 figures.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:26 PM

Maybe he will feature these on one of his tv shows.....

David
Old 06-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Rob

It's amazing how many alleged sports memorabilia experts know so little about sports memorabilia. They (Goldin is far from alone) seem to be easily duped (or are they?).
Old 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM

Sorry guys
All have been/ are being removed as I type
Faster method is to email info@goldinauctions.com if you see something that looks off, it’s. Lot faster then us having to have a third party send us a link to a thread….that is if the goal is actually getting a potentially bad product out of an auction as opposed to just trying to make fun.
And please , we pulled a $2 million card on Friday that was certified by BGS as well as the card manufacturer because we though it was off….so appreciate you guys giving us the benefit of the doubt that we are not going to try to sell a bad $300 item….we will sell 50,000 lots this year. It’s possible an occasional item will slip thru, especially on the ultra low end such as this. However we will fix it very quickly and it will NEVER make its way to a customer

If not familiar with the card referring to, here is detail
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_otLBs...dium=copy_link

Last edited by Goldin Auctions; 06-13-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:38 PM
Bill Roberts

Like the "Derek Jeter" World Series trophy? That one slip through the cracks? Lol.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Like the "Derek Jeter" World Series trophy? That one slip through the cracks? Lol.
Jeter trophy? Show me a link. We will admit our mistakes and most importantly fix them. Point being, as a community, if the goal is to ensure nothing, whether it be $2 million or $200 is sold ( or offered for sale) that might be problematic, please email us info@goldinauctions.com. Goldin actually employs multiple “ card hackers” that do not work for us but whose job it is to search our auctions and pull items that are graded but might be altered in a way that was undetected by TPG. We have a 100% rate of pulling all altered cards EVEN IF they are graded and “ confirmed” by the TPG. So please, less jokes and more community cooperation if the goal is to ensure anything suspect never gets sold.
Thank you in advance
Old 06-13-2021, 07:05 PM
Rob

Good job, Goldin! :thumbs_up:
Old 06-13-2021, 09:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes, thumbs up to Goldin.... Lot 3122 still appears to be "live" but good job pulling all of the others.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes, thumbs up to Goldin.... Lot 3122 still appears to be "live" but good job pulling all of the others.
Thanks
Missed that one
It’s pulled