NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Autographed Cards

Posted By: Paul S

One summer I sent a few players a fan letter, their baseball card, and an SASE. At the end of the letter I asked them if they would mind signing the card and return it to me. Look at Banks, HE thanked ME! Do you believe that? What a guy! "Let's play two"!

Show 'em if ya got 'em.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

About twenty years after I received the autographs above, I was fortunate enough to attend a private party at Mickey Mantle's Sports Bar, the evening before it opened to the public. Well, The Mick had been my guy since I was a kid, so I was really jacked. I had brought an index card to get a signature. Rather than him signing all through the night at random, he instead just sat at a table at one point and people came up to get an autograph if they wanted. On the table was a stack of large "cards" (that you see in the picture below). He asked my name and signed one for me. I then showed him the blank index card I brought with me and asked if he'd just sign his name. He looked at me, thought a moment and said, "I think one's enough." I instantaenously realized that he thought I was going to try and cash in on it. Not m\y intention, but who could blame him. Anyway, I took my index card over to Billy Martin, who gladly signed it. Underneath his sig it says "Yankee." You know that guy had to bleed Yankee Blue from the moment he was traded way back when.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Something about the crowned 7s in the background of the Mantle autograph struck me as familiar. Then it just hit me. Obvious style rip. Maybe I've spent too much time sitting at bars?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Sent to them for autographs in the early 60's. Don't think I would do it today tho.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Jack, I"m sure you're right about that. Even the ones I sent were doubles. Last free autograph I got was Mookie Wilson, at a card show. I think during his playing days.

*edited to add: My Kaline came back creased. -- I don't think you'd want that for those swell looking Bowmans.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

paul,i'll bet there was a tie in with seagrams and the mantle event you attended? they may have sponsored it ?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Dennis, Might have been, although of course I never noticed. The back of the card has his bio and career stats. At the very bottom it says:

Exclusive Distributor of
Mickey Mantle Sports Art
Sports Impressions Inc.
82 Bridge Road
Central Islip, NY 11722

Although no mention of Seagram's 7. Maybe was a different tie in The Mick had with them at that time, not necessarily related to the opening of his place, but the use of #7 and his name.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Been working on putting this team set together for quite a while... I am only missing Berra, Ford and Ralph Terry. (Anyone have any?!) Of course, Duke Maas is the key to this set!