NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Default Detroit OJ Collecting Milestone – Barney Gilligan

Fueled by the extra time COVID-19 presents and Tanner’s Old Judge thread (I enjoy looking at these 19th century gems), I wanted to share a collecting milestone, the acquisition of a rare Barney Gilligan card. I now have all 21 Detroit subjects that can be found in the Old Judge set.

Detroit Old Judge Background / Context:

There are 21 subjects (players & manager) that can be found with Detroit in the Old Judge set accounting for a total of 72 poses spread across 3 years as follows.

National League Detroits
1887: 9 subjects, 28 poses
1888: 6 new subjects, 30 new poses (+ many Detroit re-issues from 1887)
International Association Detroits
1889: 6 subjects, 14 poses (all new Detroits)
Detroit sat atop the baseball world in 1887, crowned World Champions, but they would disband at the close of 1888 with all players jumping to new teams. The 1889 Detroit Old Judge cards are courtesy of the International Association, a leading minor league circuit, for which Detroit would be a new member. Goodwin didn’t photograph the International Association teams directly but represented the teams in impressive quantity via team change updates to older Old Judge cards.

Obtaining Barney Gilligan

I have had a Detroit Old Judge focus ever since picking up my first example in 1989. Over the years I have had multiple opportunities to obtain the players and grow the collection with a lone exception. I have never seen a Detroit Barney Gilligan surface in auction or offered for sale but instead merely aware of two examples tucked away by a pair of long-time passionate collectors. I have periodically made trade offers but never found the right balance until this spring when a special cabinet card sealed the deal and I couldn’t be happier. It turns out that this Gilligan was auctioned by Lew Lipset on eBay just before I returned to the hobby in 2004 (shame on me for taking a hobby hiatus). Many thanks to my long time friend, Troy Kirk.

1888 Detroit Wolverines & Barney Gilligan the Player

Detroit was vulnerable behind the plate to start the 1888 season. Bennett and Ganzel were not healthy, neither ready to take the punishing blows to their hands during the cold spring games. Sutcliffe would catch the opener (4/20) followed by Cal Broughton (4/21) for his lone game of the season. Back to Sutcliffe (4/23) and then in desperation, Charlie Bennett threw caution to the wind and caught the Wolverines first win of the season (4/24). One day later, 4/25, Barney Gilligan was signed by Detroit. Manager Watkins mused on 4/26 that catching duties would be handled by Bennett, Deacon White (who hadn’t caught in years), and Gilligan near term with Ganzel joining the mix when ready. Gilly arrived with Detroit in Indianapolis on 4/27 and caught his first and only game with Detroit that day. Barney would catch Lady Baldwin quite well, went 1 for 5, but could no longer throw to the bases with authority, runners advancing freely. Barney’s performance wasn’t considered unacceptable and he remained a day-to-day catching prospect. However, when Ganzel began catching and trading off with Bennett the demand for Gilligan’s services diminished. Gilligan would be released by Detroit on 5/15/88 (20days after signing). Barney’s lone game with Detroit in 1888 would be the final chapter in his major league career, a career highlighted by great success including his catching of Charlie Radbourn in 1884. Barney Gilligan was Charlie Radbourn’s “personal catcher” during his record smashing 1884 campaign in which he went 60-12.

Far more can be gleaned by reading Barney’s SABR bio HERE.

The Uniqueness of Barney’s Detroit N172

Barney has two Old Judge poses, both introduced in 1887, while with Washington. The 1887 cards with Washington are not difficult. In 1888, both poses were updated to show Barney’s move to Detroit. One is only known in cabinet form (a rare N173) and the other as a rare Old Judge cigarette pack insert (N172). All of the new 1888 Detroit Old Judges, with exception of Barney Gilligan, originate from an April photo-shoot at Fearnaught’s Studio in Indianapolis (likely taken within a couple days of Gilly joining Detroit in Indy). A couple observations:
1) Barney’s Detroit N172 is only NL Detroit player represented by single pose (excluding manager)
2) Barney’s Detroit N172 is only Detroit team change card (excluding the 1889 minor league cards)
3) Barney’s Detroit N172 is only card in which “DETROIT” is spelled out in all caps, perhaps the only card in whole Old Judge set with team/city designation in all caps (excluding some of the script cards)
4) An extension of 3), it is only Detroit card that truncates the “s” on the city/team nameplate (all others are “Detroits”)
If you have a little extra time on your hands and interest, try to find another Old Judge card with team in all caps. It seems as though the card was a quick team change update that was soon after pulled. Barney’s short stay with Detroit may help explain the rarity, then again, all 1888 Detroit OJs are tough. How frequently do you see a Lady Baldwin, Frank Scheibeck, or Deacon White to name a few?

Presenting the 21 Detroit Wolverines from Old Judge Set

1887Dan Brouthers, Charile Ganzel, Ned Hanlon, Hardy Richardson, Jack Rowe, Sam Thompson, Larry Twitchell, Stump Wiedman, and manager Bill Watkins (center)

1888Lady Baldwin, Pete Conway, Pretzel Getzien, Barney Gilligan, Frank Scheibeck, and Deacon White

1889Kid Baldwin (error card), Count Campau, Mike Goodfellow, Mike McGlone, George Rooks, and Bobby Wheelock

A big milestone down, many more to conquer, such is the life of collecting Old Judges. I’m now over 75% complete on the 72 Detroit N172 poses, lots of rarities to hunt down.

All the best to my collecting colleagues, stay safe!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

First of all - big congrats! I know how long you have been waiting to add Gilligan - DETROIT to your collection.

Secondly, as always, I appreciate the depth and breadth of knowledge that you are willing to share with us.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Great work. To amplify slightly on your story regarding Gilligan and Radbourn. It is difficult for us today to fully appreciate how painful and dangerous catching was in 1884, not that it is easy even with modern equipment. When Radbourn agreed to pitch all of Providence's remaining games, the "personal catcher" ethos of the day meant Gilligan would catch them all. It was arguably much more demanding physically for Gilligan, despite being very arduous for Radbourn.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Rob

Congratulations, Joe. Good luck with the hunt for the remaining cards...Rob
Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Fred

Why didn't you tell me you needed a Detroit Gilligan? I'd have given you mine. Ok, I guess if you don't have one, I definitely don't have it. Congratulations on completing a milestone! You share so much about OJs on the board and it makes it that much more enjoyable to collect them.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Jay Cee

Congrats Joe! Sell me some of your baseball currency now!!!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:49 PM
GaryPassamonte

Congratulations, Joe!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

Loved not only the history of the Team.....but of the particular story behind your "Gilligan Whale". Thank you so much and congrats!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 04-05-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Mike

Great job Joe ! Being a Detroit collector myself, I know how difficult it is to find many of these cards. Please show off a picture of all 21 subjects .
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 PM
Doug Goodman

Those are fantastic! Congrats.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:16 PM

Default Tough one!

Congrats Joe!
Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Congrats Joe!
Congratulations from me as well!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Thank you for all the responses on and outside the forum.

George, you are quite correct on the extreme toll catching Radbourn day-to-day would take on Barney in 1884. Catching was a punishing position, among my favorite books, "Catcher" by Peter Morris helps put this into perspective.

Mike, you should be able to see all 21 Detroit subjects in my original email. I split it into three images, one for each year, at end of my post. I'll do one better for you, here is a snap shot of the 72 different N172 poses in small format.

1887 - 28 of 28 poses

1888 - 16 of 30 poses

The Pitchers - Baldwin, Conway, & Getzien

The Position Players - Gilligan, Scheibeck, and White

1889 - 11 of 14 poses

The 1888 Detroits are very tough. I'm not aware of anyone completing a run of any single player outside of Gilligan's lone pose. It is far easier to complete some of them with team change cards but nearly impossible to complete an all Detroit 1888 run (of course, many advanced collectors actually prefer to have representation from all teams and avoid collecting all with same team). If you happen to have a Detroit pose I need I would love to hear from you, even if there is no chance of trade, it is quite gratifying to know some of the poses are out there.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 04-06-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:56 AM
Albert Bee

Default Rare Giligan !

great find !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gil.jpg (10.9 KB, 160 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 AM

Congrats, Joe! Love the photos and background info.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Mike

In your Old Judge book you list two Detroit poses of Gilligan 189-1 and 189-2. Is the 189-1 pose a N173 cabinet only pose and can't be found in the N172 set ?
Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Craig L.

Way to go buddy
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM

Congrats Joe!! The hunt is the best part of the game.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Derek Granger

Wow! Working on it since 1989?? You are one patient SOB!

Love your stuff, as always! You have an outstanding eye for cards. Congrats on the amazing journey and good luck to you on your quest for all the poses.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 04-07-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
In your Old Judge book you list two Detroit poses of Gilligan 189-1 and 189-2. Is the 189-1 pose a N173 cabinet only pose and can't be found in the N172 set ?
That is correct Mike, regarding Gilligan's poses with Detroit, 189-1 is only known in cabinet form whereas 189-2 is only known as an N172. Given the rarity, it would not surprise me if Goodwin issued both poses as N172s but perhaps pose 1 is still waiting to be found and catalogued or has been lost to time.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:16 AM
Marty H.

Awesome!