NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Am I Being Scammed?

My spider sense is really tingling over this deal. The seller, Kent Allison, agreed to sell me a '33 Goudey Ruth SGC 2 card directly through PayPal at a discount of around 6% under what he was asking on eBay. He said he had three of these Goudey Ruth cards and needed money due to a recent kidney replacement. I paid him on 1/5/23, and he supposedly shipped the card. He provided me with two USPS tracking numbers, one of which was supposedly for insurance purposes (weird!). On 1/10/23, I got a tracking notice letting me know a delivery had been attempted earlier that day when I wasn't home. The next day, around 11:30 am on 1/11/23, he emailed me saying that the tracking showed me missing the delivery and to update him once I have gone to the Post Office to pick up the package.

Here's where it gets really strange. At about 5:10 on 1/11/23, the postal clerk told me the package was gone, and that Kent paid USPS to intercept it earlier in the day and send it back to him. I then emailed him that evening to ask for an explanation, but I didn't hear back from him that evening or the next morning, so at around 1:30 pm on 1/12/23, I initiated a PayPal dispute, since I purchased the card via PP Goods & Services. Immediately after I opened the dispute, I got this email message from Kent: "Deal if off. You wasted my time and money. I don't believe you are who you say you are."
I replied that I am the one who feels cheated since he now has my money and soon will have the card as well.

My question is if I am being scammed, what do you think will be his next move, and what is he going to tell PayPal to get them to side with him? Thanks for any help.
--Rob

Last edited by robw1959; 01-12-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:35 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Who knows what goes on in the minds of these creeps? I can't even comprehend his next "move", but wish you luck in getting your refund. PayPal tends to side with the buyer, and thankfully you did not use the Friends & Family option.

Please keep us posted on how this all plays out.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:43 AM

I agree with Perezfan. Paypal tends to side with the buyer more than the seller.
Is it possible he's waiting to get the card back before he refunds your money?
Best of luck to you and keep us up to date please.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:50 AM
jim qu.inlisk

It sounds weird to have an insurance tracking no. but when you take a package to the counter and pay for postage there they would actually have slips you filled out and one bar code really was for insurance. If you check the number at usps it should show up ok.

Did you use paypal G & S or F&F?
Old 01-12-2023, 12:21 PM
Jeremy

Good thing you used G&S. I don't think this person really has a "next move" since their trail points directly to scammer. My money says that you will get a refund from Paypal.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

seems like a scam but I am not 100% sure how or what he gets out of it. Unless he has a way to keep the money but PP Goods and Services protects the buyer (especially how you described it)

Odd the 2 trackers
Odd it was intercepted before you had a chance to pick up at the Post Office
Odd he said you were wasting his time and money just because you missed the delivery
Lucky you used Goods and Service

good luck with it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Scammer or not, this seller doesn’t seem like worth dealing with.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel