NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Need Advice - Cobb T206

Please see attached Ty Cobb T206... I purchased this at the infancy of my collecting "career", and have had it for nearly 20 years. I bought it at a local show, well before the days of home computers and ebay...

The 3 corners with the stains bug me, and if I were to do it now, I would have held out for a better example. That said.. is this card a candidate for soaking? I assume the stains are from mounting corners in an album many years ago. Would soaking the card get rid of (or lessen) these stained areas? I am leary of doing it myself (especially to a Cobb) and would rather experiment first with a beat-up/worthless common.

The other alternative I was wondering about is Dick Towle. I read a few articles about him and his company (Gone With the Stain). But they apparently have no Website, and the email I was given for him failed to elicit any response. Does anyone know if Dick Towle would be a viable alternative for this card, and whether or not he is still doing this type of work?

I want to add that I am not looking to have this card graded, and simply am looking to approve its current appearance. I know there's a philosophical divide among Net54 members, so am hoping to avoid a moral right/wrong debate. I just want feedback on how to remove these stains most easily/safely/effectively.

Any input and opinions are very much appreciated.... thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Towle 001.jpg (73.9 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg Towle 006.jpg (72.5 KB, 461 views)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Hi Mark,

I don't know how you e-mailed Dick, but he's listed on this page of the Net54 directory, with a link to send an e-mail. Maybe sending him one this way would generate a response (if that's not how you previously did it).

http://www.net54baseball.com/memberl...e&ltr=D&page=3
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM

Are the stains glue residue? Looks as though this was album mounted...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Rob.... I'll try that!

Not sure if it is glue rsidue or not. I don't think so, because glue residue would more likely be on the reverse. The browned areas are not "raised" and appear to be residue from those old fashioned mounting corners that were used to mount photos in the "old days"...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Brandon Brown

Default Dick is a great guy!

I know him quite well, and I think he could help you. I sent you a PM with his current email. Tell him Brandon Brown sent you! Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good to know of another great guy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well. it actually took 6 posts to go there (better than I anticipated, and admittedly pretty funny, Peter )
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Brandon Brown

We are all great guys 'til you get to know us!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Jim D

i can vouch for myself, i am pretty darn good.......

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
T0NY @

Hi Mark. Not that it matters, but I personally like the card just the way it is.
Classic Cobby......
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Hi Mark. Not that it matters, but I personally like the card just the way it is.
Classic Cobby......
+1

Nice Cobb! A few stains but they are off in the corners, it presents quite nicely. If I were you I'd leave it as is, or sell it and upgrade.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe you guys are right...

I used the photos that highlighted the stains the most. In person, they are not nearly as pronounced as the pictures portray. Maybe I will just leave it alone.

That said, I do think it's one of the prettiest cards ever, and would someday like to have a clean example of one. If I sold this one, would it be best to have it graded first? And if so, what grade would it most likely get?

I'm not a "grading fan" per se, so if it only got a grade of "AUT" it might be better just to sell it like it is, raw... is that right?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Scott Levy

I would guess it would get a '2'.

However, if you are interested in selling it ... I'd love it for my raw set, Just shoot me a line.

Regards,
Scott
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Paul

Default If it is otherwise...

....a clean card, I suspect you could get an SGC 40/VG/3.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my guess on grading

My guess on the grading would be a 20-30. I don't think it will reach a 40 with those tape marks. I do think it will grade though as the tape isn't holding it together and it certainly wasn't done for a nefarious reason. Unless you work a deal out with Scott L, or someone experienced on the board, I would get it graded. You will make back your $10-$12 grading fee and then some. Just my half cent of an opinion. regards
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
JB

Default .............

The bottom line is that is a beautiful card, you cant go wrong with any of the mentioned ideas.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Good to know of another great guy.
If that comment was directed where I think it was I agree.

As far as the Cobby I think it is a great card and should have a SGC slab around it to highlite the beauty of it. The black will make it POP nicely and I am sure after 20 yrs another 20 in a SGC slab with be just as pleasurable.