NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Is Tim Lincecum Finished?

It was often said that with his unorthodox pitching motion and small frame, Tim Lincecum might find himself having a rather short career. As we hit the All-Star break, Lincecum is 3-10 with a 6.42 ERA and it seems like every one of his starts is a train wreck. Is the guy done? I certainly hope not, but he is pitching as poorly as anyone can and still be in the rotation. And didn't he turn down a monster contract before the season began? That was a huge mistake.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Steve Blass had 5 great years, then a sudden career-ending meltdown. Lincecum is just slightly younger, with 4 full seasons under his belt, but the meltdown seems very similar.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Dave

Yeah, his decline has been predicted for some time now.

Guys with wacky motions are rarely effective long term. Either they injure themselves with poor mechanics or the league just begins to figure them out.

The smallest issue can knock them out of whack. I think Lincecum will have to change his approach and learn to pitch a different way if he is ever to become effective again.

I wonder if anybody can think of any other pitchers with crazy wind-ups, outside of perhaps Luis Tiant, who had long productive careers.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Dave Foster

With that arduous pitching motion, TL's bb future could be like Micah Ownings and Rick Ankiel: converting to a position player.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
With that arduous pitching motion, TL's bb future could be like Micah Ownings and Rick Ankiel: converting to a position player.
Only problem with that is, Lincecum can't hit.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Steve Freedman

Juan Marichal
Fernando Valenzuela (not sure if the length is his career qualifies)
Dennis Eckersley had a pretty radical delivery
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Hope he turns it around. He was my 2nd round pick in fantasy this year, and he's been killing me. Loaded up on some DL options just in case he doesn't turn it around though.

As far as predictions of his early demise. I believe most of those were based on the injury probability, rather than people figuring him out. Don't get me wrong, dude's looked bad, but usually for 1 inning per game. In most of his starts, it's just one meltdown inning(at random), and the rest of the time, he looks like old Timmy...Usually the meltdown begins with an infield single, an error, or one of those 12 pitch at bats where he just can't seem to put the guy away. Personally, I think it's all mental.

Supposedly, he quit smoking pot, which could be part of his mental issues. He's just not used to dealing with adversity, where as in the past, I think he was too high to notice it. As a man in the trades, I've had to deal with plenty of "functional potheads" over the years, and I've seen plenty of meltdowns once they've quit(usually irritability, frustration, and an inability to focus). and more often than not, it just takes some time for them to become "functional non-potheads"

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating the use of pot. Just offering some insight into what might be Timmy's issues...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 AM

It's been clear (atleast to me) since his first good year this was going to happen. It happens to so many pitchers. Considering the stress he puts on his arm and his size, this was almost inevitable. I do think he can continue his career as a slightly below average pitcher, but he needs to make two corrections. First, he needs to stop smoking so much weed. (though I hear he quit...which I don't believe for a second, but if it is the case and it's causing him to pitch like this, then maybe he should start back up again or quit during the offseason) Second, he needs to stop overthrowing. He doesn't throw 95 mph anymore and he never will again. He's too stubborn to just throw 90 and locate his pitches. Instead, he attempts to keep his velocity up at the expense of his command. If he sucks it up and throws 89-90 and locates his pitches he may be able to have a full career.

Last edited by Brendan; 07-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yeah, his decline has been predicted for some time now.

Guys with wacky motions are rarely effective long term. Either they injure themselves with poor mechanics or the league just begins to figure them out.

The smallest issue can knock them out of whack. I think Lincecum will have to change his approach and learn to pitch a different way if he is ever to become effective again.

I wonder if anybody can think of any other pitchers with crazy wind-ups, outside of perhaps Luis Tiant, who had long productive careers.
Tiant hit a similar wall after five years in the league - he was 9-20 in 1969 and 1-7 in 1971, and some thought he was done. Then he turned it around with an awesome run from '72-'76 that now has people talking about him as a potential HOFer.

So it is possible for someone with an unorthodox delivery to turn it around as Tiant did, but it is certainly not an everyday thing.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Jake

He's finished in my opinion he can make a few QS but as an all star I doubt we will see him in his past form. I luckily traded him from my fantasy team 2 months ago, now the guy is begging me to take him back.

Last edited by Jlighter; 07-19-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Well, if he is finished, two Cy Youngs make for a good career.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 AM

Default Is Lincecum finished?

I guess that we now have our answer re: Lincecum. He was pretty terrific in a relief roll in the 2012 World Series.

Congrats to all the Giants fans out there!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Lincecum was nearly untouchable in relief. The only bad outing he had in the post season was his one start. Wonder if the Giants will attempt to convert him in 2013.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 AM
octavio ranzola

Agree with Barry, be safe Barry,,,
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Default Lincecum pitching status 2013

I noticed that Giants manager Bruce Bochy was quoted yesterday as saying that Lincecom would absolutely be in the starting rotation in 2013, FWIW....
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Octavio. The storm is starting to gain some steam. The scary part is when it reaches its peak it will be dark.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Rob

For the first time in his career, Timmy threw in the off season. He is good to go...as is Cain...as is Vogey....as is Hudson....as is Bummy
Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
For the first time in his career, Timmy threw in the off season. He is good to go...as is Cain...as is Vogey....as is Hudson....as is Bummy
"Ooooooo-reeebay!"

Agree, think Timmy and Vogey can have nice bounce back years... Cain a huge bounce back.. And Bumgarner is still ascending (rapidly). They could have a very nice deep rotation (though suspect maybe short of dominant).

I'm probably most curious/excited to see the fit Pablo this year. All in all I think the Giants have a good shot to get back in the West mix this year.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Alex

I am also intrigued by Sandoval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
octavio ranzola

he smokes weed what do you want
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
"Ooooooo-reeebay!"

Agree, think Timmy and Vogey can have nice bounce back years... Cain a huge bounce back.. And Bumgarner is still ascending (rapidly). They could have a very nice deep rotation (though suspect maybe short of dominant).

I'm probably most curious/excited to see the fit Pablo this year. All in all I think the Giants have a good shot to get back in the West mix this year.
Keep dreaming, Ian...your response sounded like a very wishful fan

I'm just ready for the season to start...baseball all the time! I still have a slight knot in my stomach from picking Cain 25th overall in my fantasy league last year...

Oh yeah, I picked Sandoval too. He wasn't bad at first and I traded him before he could hurt me, so that worked out

I do like Lincecum...whether or not he will be relevant this year is beyond me, but bumgarner should be solid for sure. I don't know what to think about Cain. He wants to be a stud one minute and then he gets shelled the next...I guess that's baseball for ya!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 02-28-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Keep dreaming, Ian...your response sounded like a very wishful fan
We'll see Mike, we'll see..

Hugely happy baseball is almost back as well.

It's not just SF fanaticism (though I gots a lot of that!), I do think Cain will bounce back and think last year was an aberration. The entire team, aside from Hunter Pence seemingly went into a funk the 2nd half (Pablo, Posey, Cain, Crawford, etc). I think fatigue and their spot in the standings had something to do with that. I truly believe most of those guys are bound to bounce back this year. Whether that's enough to get us over the hump, or past the LA All Stars remains to be seen.. but the ride will be fun regardless. It's sort of fun having the our version of the Yankees to root against. West Coast baseball is alive and well!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
J@son.K

I'm just kind of glad I didn't invest in his cards/autographs.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Some harsh critics here. The guy had a 4.37 ERA and almost 200 K's last year. He'd be a number 3 on a lot of staffs with those numbers.

He might not win another Cy Young but I think it's crazy to look at him as being finished.

Last edited by packs; 03-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Alex

Lincecum will never new what he was but can still be very good if learns to adapt to his loss of velocity.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.