NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2023, 05:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Mint Collective in Vegas

Wonder if anyone went or got a first hand report. Curious what the vibe was. If you are not interested in anything to do with it, that’s cool. Just be curious to get an honest take and not spin from someone involved.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:48 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Not affiliated but I did speak on one of the panels/was at the show on Saturday. I thought it was a really good turnout and the "vibe" was pretty good. The show itself was more modern focused but I just expect that now wherever I go.

I am also a card nerd, so anything I see card related I will think is positive!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 04-03-2023, 08:42 AM

What is/was it?
Old 04-03-2023, 08:52 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default link to event

https://www.themintcollective.com/
Old 04-03-2023, 09:10 AM

Interesting.

Thanks for the link!
Old 04-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Rich Klein

If you are the "average" member of this board, the Mint Collective is not for you. However, if you are looking for hobby employment, upgrade your hobby employment, or to grow your business, especially for newer cards, then the trip is worth it.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
If you are the "average" member of this board, the Mint Collective is not for you. However, if you are looking for hobby employment, upgrade your hobby employment, or to grow your business, especially for newer cards, then the trip is worth it.
There are many views on this board that vintage is completely disconnected from the rest of the hobby. A city on a hill or something. Regardless of whether you have an interest in newer cards or not, I don't believe "our" hobby is somehow the Land of Oz untouched by greater economic forces buffeting the rest of the hobby. It's also kind of cool to see any hobby gathering that has women and people under the age of 40 involved. Probably nowhere near as much B.O. as your average National though.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-03-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:22 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Interesting.

Thanks for the link!
Agreed very interesting

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
There are many views on this board that vintage is completely disconnected from the rest of the hobby. A city on a hill or something. Regardless of whether you have an interest in newer cards or not, I don't believe "our" hobby is somehow the Land of Oz untouched by greater economic forces buffeting the rest of the hobby. It's also kind of cool to see any hobby gathering that has women and people under the age of 40 involved. Probably nowhere near as much B.O. as your average National though.
This made me think about being at the Nashville show a few weeks ago. I don't see a complete disconnect at all. I overhead kids and young adults asking about vintage at several of the tables I was at. It was a new world to some of them and they were really interested. Kids are coming to shows and asking questions so I think that's great for the hobby's future. It wasn't so long ago that shows were getting pretty stale.

I wasn't able to make it to Vegas but might try to hit up their next one depending on my schedule. There are relatively large shows in most major cities now. In the past couple years I've been to shows in Seattle, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, St Louis, Des Moines, Chicago, Atlantic City, Nashville, etc. Even though modern dominates at most of them, I've found something vintage to pickup (that fits my collection) at every show I've been to. If you're strictly pre-war it might be a challenge at some, but I collect 50s-60s as well. Plus they've all been well attended and lots more kids and women than in the past so that's good to see. I love to travel so even if I didn't find anything I make a point to check out local food, bands, art, etc. Looking forward to Minneapolis and Strongsville later this month!

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-03-2023, 01:39 PM
Justin

Default Thread needs a pic.

Here are some recent show pickups that I still have out and haven't organized yet. Would love to see a picture of the Vegas show if anybody has one.

recentpickups.jpg

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/

Last edited by midmo; 04-03-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Rich Klein

One of my Hobby Hotline Co-hosts was at the Mint and posted a TON of stuff on his FB page. I've seen some of the videos and that gives a good idea of what the event was like.

https://www.facebook.com/slaterson733

Regards
Rich
Old 04-03-2023, 01:44 PM

I really like the Oscar Robertson autographed 69 - congrats and nice items!
Old 04-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Here are some recent show pickups that I still have out and haven't organized yet. Would love to see a picture of the Vegas show if anybody has one.

Attachment 565725
Holy crap. What a haul. Now that's my sort of stuff.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:08 PM
Don

I was at a real card show, Chantilly

I’m somewhat kidding, but no reason to go to Vegas for the Mint unless you are part of a business like the grading companies or one of the startup apps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2023, 05:24 PM

I just took a pretty deep dive into the website and my guess is that 98% of us on this site would either not understand or strongly dislike 100% of this show.

That said, I think it’s great. What’s good for the hobby is good for the hobby. Period, full stop.

This is not my thing, but it’s awesome that so much interest in all this exists that they hold such a major event. These are the folks who keep the hobby alive, and a certain percentage will eventually travel backwards down the number line to vintage and then prewar.

If inclined, I would consider joining a group to show this bling crowd some oldies next year. I am sure people would be interested in seeing and learning more about Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, etc. I don’t care if your into card breaks or red wave, cracked ice 1 of 1 RPAs, everyone will stop to look at cards like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B675B8DE-F05F-4CD1-9CCA-E4DDC7CA1709.jpg (160.5 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg 3E45FB0C-290F-4807-B653-CEB9AB6A05D5.jpg (154.9 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg 79AAB596-985F-4B0C-91DB-7FC16E6E3D76.jpg (148.8 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 483C8D4E-A5EA-45B7-A527-5AF906038392.jpg (150.9 KB, 467 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 05:29 PM
Michael Padilla

Quote:
I just took a pretty deep dive into the website and my guess is that 98% of us on this site would either not understand or strongly dislike 100% of this show.

That said, I think it’s great. What’s good for the hobby is good for the hobby. Period, full stop.

This is not my thing, but it’s awesome that so much interest in all this exists that they hold such a major event. These are the folks who keep the hobby alive, and a certain percentage will eventually travel backwards down the number line to vintage and then prewar.

If inclined, I would consider joining a group to show this bling crowd some oldies next year. I am sure people would be interested in seeing and learning more about Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, etc. I don’t care if your into card breaks or red wave, cracked ice 1 of 1 RPAs, everyone will stop to look at cards like this:
I’m sure your table would draw a large crowd with that eye candy Ryan, count me in on the group Vegas trip!
Old 04-03-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpadilla84 View Post
I’m sure your table would draw a large crowd with that eye candy Ryan, count me in on the group Vegas trip!
One table filled with big-time classics to draw’em in, and then a few tables of just good old fashioned vintage and prewar issues, all types and all players
Old 04-03-2023, 07:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
One table filled with big-time classics to draw’em in, and then a few tables of just good old fashioned vintage and prewar issues, all types and all players
That'd be fun, I''d ship my Master Set to the group if they want to put it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-03-2023, 11:34 PM
Rob

I looked at their website. It looks like a business conference with seminars that are required to renew licenses.

I looked at their gallery and about us pages. There's only one photo of someone holding what may be a card or photo of Kayvon Thibodeaux in street clothes.

I'm not in that hobby. I don't look down from a hill on their hobby. I'm just not in that hobby. I don't do non-fungible tokens and all of that.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:48 AM
Ben Morton

I went intending to buy some T206. There was a good number of dealers, and though pre-WW2 stuff was rarer, there was some around, and I picked up a few. The major auction houses were showing off a bit, and they had some incredible stuff on display.

Show was fun, dealers were friendly.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:17 AM
Rob

That's good to here about pre-war at the event, Ben. Thanks for the info.

I know I ask a lot of questions, it's just my nature. What is she holding in her right hand next to the football card in her left?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kthibmintcol.jpg (32.9 KB, 305 views)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post

I know I ask a lot of questions, it's just my nature. What is she holding in her right hand next to the football card in her left?
Looks like some EBay promotional card, in a top holder for some reason.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:52 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post

It’s the back of the promo card that you see the front of in her other hand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234486643066

Last edited by glynparson; 04-06-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:37 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I spoke as well Friday re. Taxes and sports cards. Disappointed at the turn out, as the Mint promoted a different session while we are speaking as "can't miss". I think the $600 entry fee is just too high. As for the show, saw practically zero memorabilia. Is was all pretty much shiny cards.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I spoke as well Friday re. Taxes and sports cards. Disappointed at the turn out, as the Mint promoted a different session while we are speaking as "can't miss". I think the $600 entry fee is just too high. As for the show, saw practically zero memorabilia. Is was all pretty much shiny cards.
So, what did the tax part of your discussion touch and center on?
Old 04-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Ugh, that is a fairly high fee for a collectors conference. If it didn't have to do with vintage I probably wouldn't be interested. I looked over the blurb that was put out and it just didn't have things that interested me.
and a Vis-Ed Doby...

Old 04-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Rich Klein

As I noted, this conference is not for "vintage" collectors for the most part.

However, it's great for networking, job searching, seeing the newest parts of the hobby and to see where the hobby is going.

I think they are still working on something to balance the needs for a true industry conference and a way to draw in a general audience (the daily show part) and long-term I think this may work.

A note, Ezra Levine, CEO of Collectible, the group which puts this event on, announced today he is stepping down as CEO so I suspect (NO PROOF) that he waited until after the event to make that official

Rich
Old 04-11-2023, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
As I noted, this conference is not for "vintage" collectors for the most part.

However, it's great for networking, job searching, seeing the newest parts of the hobby and to see where the hobby is going.

I think they are still working on something to balance the needs for a true industry conference and a way to draw in a general audience (the daily show part) and long-term I think this may work.

A note, Ezra Levine, CEO of Collectible, the group which puts this event on, announced today he is stepping down as CEO so I suspect (NO PROOF) that he waited until after the event to make that official

Rich
Do you know if there was a particular reason given for the CEO stepping down? Was the event considered successful?