NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:15 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post

And the biggest thing I've learned is, thank goodness for net54, because Leon is the ONLY owner of a major hobby site that I know of, who is allowing the conversation. This, despite several posters using the opportunity to attack him personally....
Kudos to that. I don't know Leon, never meet him. But have some big time respect for how he runs this board. Makes the other forums look like a bunch of amateurs.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
At almost 800 posts you can see this topic is affecting all of us. Some of the post on here have gotten off topic but quickly gets back on tract. I also give Leon credit for letting everyone voice there opinion on this even if it he has taken jabs personally at him which he has taken it well and could have easily deleted it but hasn't, so kudos to him. Guys are concerned about the shilling going on and when you go to the another site, people have said they have deleted posts. If your on that list why not make a small comment personally instead of have an employee do it for you. Looks bad that way. If people were making statements about me I think I would defend myself. I think most guys on the list that haven't made a comment are just waiting for things to die down and go away. Like most things people move on and forget or let it go and in my opinion in a few weeks there won't be anymore posts on this as it will run it's coarse and those guys won't have to worry about it anymore at least for the time being. I hope the topic stays alive and we all need to police the hobby. Thanks Leon for letting us vent.
There's lots more coming on this, and it will turn much, but not all, of what's been said here on its head. Stay tuned.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
There's lots more coming on this, and it will turn much, but not all, of what's been said here on its head. Stay tuned.
Quoted for future reference.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
Quoted for future reference.

Oh shillt!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:21 AM
David Hernandez
Banned

Default Shilling just 1 of many problems in Houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed View Post
The majority of change IMO will have to come at the hands of the FBI (who do by the way watch these forums) because these Turds will not be stopping on their own.

Their is 2 much $$$ at stake and the level of greed is 2 great 4 the powers that be 2 change on their own since Bill Mastro apparently was the baby daddy industry model for the bad behavior employed industry wide (Doctored cards, created/fake GU, shilling)

Nothing is given without U fighting for it and at this point its more about standing up for whats rite until the authorities take further action.

I personally try to avoid auctions when sourcing my GU after being shilled in probably every 1 I've ever participated in.

The surface has only been scratched here shilling is easier for the FBI 2 bust unlike the wave of created/fake GU or spec correct never worn passed off as GU sold in just about every auction I've ever looked at.

With all the companies running auctions on such a frequent basis does anyone truly believe that there is that much real quality items out there that aren't buried in someones collection?

Outright fake & misrepresented shit is as much apart of the hobby as shilling

Ron Kosiewicz
Ron makes a very valid point in that shilling is not the only problem area with auction houses. He addresses "outright fakes and misrepresentation items" in which I would agree that this is actually worse than shilling. For example if I was a Art Auction house and was offering a Monet original art piece and I knew the piece was a forgery, is that not worse than fake bidding it up?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As I say, if you identify a seller doing one deceptive thing, they are more than probably doing other deceptive things. The sole motive of scammers is to maximize profits.

When you identify a seller doing something highly unethical or highly deceptive you can't knowingly identify all the unethical and deceptive (and perhaps illegal) methods they are using, you just know they are an unethical or deceptive seller. And that should be enough.

That's why I roll my eyes when people on Net54 in effect say "I know this eBay seller is selling items he knows are fake and that he may have made himself, but other items look good and I'm going to bid on those." I think "With all the good sellers out there, why they Hell are you choosing to buy from a seller who you know is trying to scam buyers? . . . And are you then going to come back to this board and complain that the item you bought from him was fake, altered or his his shipping rates were too high or that he may have shilled you or the description turned out not to be entirely accurate? Are you going to say 'I knew he was forger, but how was I supposed to know he'd lie about the provenance and use deceptive pictures?'"

Last edited by drcy; 02-06-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As I say, if you identify a seller doing one deceptive thing, they are more than probably doing other deceptive things. The sole motive of scammers is to maximize profits.

When you identify a seller doing something highly unethical or highly deceptive you can't knowingly identify all the unethical and deceptive (and perhaps illegal) methods they are using, you just know they are an unethical or deceptive seller. And that should be enough.

That's why I think it's idiotic when people on Net54 in effect say "I know this eBay seller is selling items he knows are fake and that he may have made himself, but other items look good and I'm going to bid on those." I think "With all the good sellers out there, why they Hell are you choosing to buy from a seller who you know is trying to scam buyers? . . . And are you going to come back to this board and complain that the item you bought from him was fake, altered or his his shipping rates were too high or that he may have shilled you or the description turned out not to be entirely accurate?"
drcy-----GREAT POINT
Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
I don't know Leon, never meet him. But have some big time respect for how he runs this board. Makes the other forums look like a bunch of amateurs.
hard to argue this.

especially when the cu admin posts this:

"Hi all,

Perhaps as a non-IT person, I may not be explaining it correctly, but I assure you that I'm not trying to stall or place blame elsewhere.

That said - we are a grading company first and foremost. This means our resources will be directed to our grading/internal systems first.

I am not saying that the forums aren't important, but they do have to fall in line in the long list of priorities.

As I've said, we do appreciate your patience. I got word from our IT group that they were able to figure out the line break issue at least and it appears to be working.

There is a long list of issues we're trying to tackle and they will be addressed in due time.

-Forum Admin"

edit to add:

"i'm not trying to pass blame"

ahh. yea ya did. you blamed it on fusetalk and that you were waiting on them.

several months after the "upgrade" and member gets fed up. emails fusetalk himself. posts this:

"I asked FuseTalk and got this reply:

You may want to speak with your forum administrator and advise them of the issues - Collectors is responsible for the functionality of their installation. "

"i assure you, i'm not trying to stall"

ahh. yea ya did. that's exactly what ya did. not only that, you attempted to pass the buck and claim it was fusetalk's responsibility.

then today: "i am not saying that the forums aren't important..."

that's exactly what you are saying. but thanks for the months of misdirection and (using this next word as politely as possible), disinformation. gee thanks.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-06-2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: to call bs.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:13 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It would be naive to expect a company chatboard to allow unfettered criticism of the company and its products. Though that's why you shouldn't go to a company's message boards and press releases to get unfettered and objective information.

The hobby has been taught lessons about journalism lately.

Last edited by drcy; 02-06-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 PM

I agree with those who would commend Leon for allowing this and other controversial threads to run their course.

The most remarkable aspect of the court filing, in my view, is the sheer pervasiveness of shill bidding during the period covered. One can only assume that Mastro engaged in similar conduct through much if not all of its existence. Jeff L should be commended for calling out Mastro officials long ago.

Query whether similar conduct was engaged in by other auction houses as I assume some of the same consignors and shillers did not limit their business to Mastro auctions?

In any event, going forward, it seems to me that the auction houses would be prudent to engage in some form of self-regulation. Assuming they don't, I think there is still a pretty good chance that the Mastro prosecutions will put the fear of God in all but the most brazen fraudsters.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Jeff

Quote:

That's why I roll my eyes when people on Net54 in effect say "I know this eBay seller is selling items he knows are fake and that he may have made himself, but other items look good and I'm going to bid on those." I think "With all the good sellers out there, why they Hell are you choosing to buy from a seller who you know is trying to scam buyers? . . . And are you then going to come back to this board and complain that the item you bought from him was fake, altered or his his shipping rates were too high or that he may have shilled you or the description turned out not to be entirely accurate? Are you going to say 'I knew he was forger, but how was I supposed to know he'd lie about the provenance and use deceptive pictures?'"
Great post.\edit

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
I think "With all the good sellers out there, why they Hell are you choosing to buy from a seller who you know is trying to scam buyers? . . ."
Because when it comes down to it, if a bad or dishonest seller has something a person wants to add to their collection, they will push honesty, integrity, and ethics to the side, because they want it. Not sure if anyone could stop that from happening.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I think Mr Thomas knows what he is talking about.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

rea dude retires.
sgc moves company.
cu all but pulls the plug on it's message board. goldfish in the toilet bowl.

"there is no coincidence. there is only the illusion of coincidence."
Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Because when it comes down to it, if a bad or dishonest seller has something a person wants to add to their collection, they will push honesty, integrity, and ethics to the side, because they want it. Not sure if anyone could stop that from happening.
Why not, you can't simply refuse to bid?
This is not food and water we are talking about here, it's pictures of dead men on cardboard for the most part. At some point, if you keep getting in line to get peed on you shouldn't complain about getting wet.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
I use a different logic and say a good method to help avoid purchasing forgeries is to not buy from forgers.

Last edited by drcy; 02-06-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Glyn Parson

Default cu message board

just checked working fine for me and people have posted today, not sure what Bob is referring to as plug pulled?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I agree with those who would commend Leon for allowing this and other controversial threads to run their course.

The most remarkable aspect of the court filing, in my view, is the sheer pervasiveness of shill bidding during the period covered. One can only assume that Mastro engaged in similar conduct through much if not all of its existence. Jeff L should be commended for calling out Mastro officials long ago.

Query whether similar conduct was engaged in by other auction houses as I assume some of the same consignors and shillers did not limit their business to Mastro auctions?

In any event, going forward, it seems to me that the auction houses would be prudent to engage in some form of self-regulation. Assuming they don't, I think there is still a pretty good chance that the Mastro prosecutions will put the fear of God in all but the most brazen fraudsters.
if the fear is selling for years and make millions of dollars and only few out of a hundred people actually going to jail..then yeah they scared..
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
just checked working fine for me and people have posted today, not sure what Bob is referring to as plug pulled?
reread. all but pulled the plug. but "works" is a relative term.

impeccable timing to boot a ton of folks that use their voice, deletes thread that indicate internal stinky fish, initiate a so called upgrade that alienates half the board and still isn't working properly. blame the probs on some one else. get called out on it. and then have the audacity to reply w/ "you're just not that important right now".

so, technically it is a "working" ghost town...and timing is pretty convenient for them.

folks are simply fed up w/ the gag order presence and the way it's been run...

which getting back to my original post today is a complete nod to leon and this place.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Bob

That is nothing new that is par for the course over there. Has been for over a decade. Why would they allow people to use a forum on their website to possibly hurt their investors investment? I never quite understood why it shocks people that they don't allow themselves to be harshly criticized on their own website. I dont post over there very often. i post here occasionaly though. I agree this is a better forum.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
That is nothing new that is par for the course over there. Has been for over a decade. Why would they allow people to use a forum on their website to possibly hurt their investors investment? I never quite understood why it shocks people that they don't allow themselves to be harshly criticized on their own website. I dont post over there very often. i post here occasionaly though. I agree this is a better forum.
decades of deleting self-damning threads?

100%.

the rest, all fairly recent.

and has since become a ghost town.

considering the timing and their reply...

pretty clear they don't mind one bit.

"never get cheated...unless one of our board of experts can assist"

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-06-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
That is good for you if you want to stay up all night. You ignore the people who go to bed with the high bid, but get sniped by someone who stays up all night. The consignor ends up losing money because one of his bidders is asleep and can't respond to the higher bid. Those auction houses that want all lots open to 4am are losing my business. I am more than happy to give my business to those like Heritage who close lots with no bids for 30 minutes or by live auction. It is not worth my time to sit around waiting to see if I get out bid.
Wrong answer. If the auction closing time is the issue, set a firm closing time, say midnight, but close all lots at the same time so anyone who is topped on a lot during OT can reroute to the next lot on his list. I reiterate: any time you close lots individually you cost the consignor money if there is someone who would have bid on a lot once he was beaten on a more desirable lot but was shut out because some lots closed earlier than others. I have been that someone more than once.

And as others have pointed out, the rules at Heritage allow for bidding practices that may result in a price being run up:

"The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots."
"If a lot bearing estimates fails to open for 40–60% of the low estimate, the Auctioneer may pass the item or may place a protective bid on behalf of the consignor."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Administrator

Some additional upgrades have just been made to the forum! Here are 2 big improvements we've made...

1) The Collector to Collector and Items Wanted section will now require member log in. As I'm sure many of you have experienced, there are a lot of lurkers on the forum. Personally I've always been caught off guard and cautious, when I'm approached about an item by a non-member. Buying and selling should feel safe. We firmly believe that only members should benefit from this unique, free venue to buy, sell and trade.

2) You will now be able to edit your own posts. You can edit your posts for about 10 minutes after you've submitted them. I know this has long been a heartburn for members. This will allow you time to correct errors or add additional information.

As always, we'll keep looking for ways to improve your experience. Thank you to all the members that have suggested these two important updates.

Doug Reiser

If I showed up on a shit list I would think I would have better things to do than have my pet monkeys pulling chains

This from a henchman who never once posted memorabilia or probably collects anything except $$$$$$$

"Lurkers" LMFAAAAAOOOOO

Ron Kosiewicz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1384826879001-jimjones295079.jpg (59.9 KB, 890 views)

Last edited by WindyCityGameUsed; 02-07-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Wrong answer. If the auction closing time is the issue, set a firm closing time, say midnight, but close all lots at the same time so anyone who is topped on a lot during OT can reroute to the next lot on his list. I reiterate: any time you close lots individually you cost the consignor money if there is someone who would have bid on a lot once he was beaten on a more desirable lot but was shut out because some lots closed earlier than others. I have been that someone more than once.

And as others have pointed out, the rules at Heritage allow for bidding practices that may result in a price being run up:

"The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots."
"If a lot bearing estimates fails to open for 40–60% of the low estimate, the Auctioneer may pass the item or may place a protective bid on behalf of the consignor."
There's no perfect format and I think each closing method can result in a bidder getting hosed:

1. Close lots individually - may result in money allocated for auction not being spent due to some auctions of interest closing and then not winning later lots. May miss lots if you don't realize the auction is a lot by lot closing and log in later.

2. Allow auctions to go late until bidding slows - may result in unscrupulous AHs bumping up bids to your Max bids if they know what those are. Also doesn't allow bidders to change their mind on their "max" after they are outbid and asleep. Also hard for those on the east coast with jobs outside the hobby.

3. Close at a set time - lots and lots of snipes at the last minute that doesn't allow someone to change their max and bid more later. Also may surprise bidders who don't realize there is a set close time.

My personal preference from a bidders perspective is:
Approach 3, 1, 2.

I've never seen any research or studies that say one of these approaches is better/worse for consigners than the others. The general perception is that letting the auction run all the way to its inevitable end is best for consigners but, again, never seen any research that says this is true.

jeff
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Tony Baldwin

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 02-10-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Why not, you can't simply refuse to bid?
This is not food and water we are talking about here, it's pictures of dead men on cardboard for the most part. At some point, if you keep getting in line to get peed on you shouldn't complain about getting wet.
+1
...whatever I want
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

interesting side note post:

so, shilling is actually allowable and a legal, protected practice under texas law.

interesting and good to know.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-07-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Alan Zimmerman

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=66976

Relax everyone. We can all sleep easy. Ken's on top of things.

-Alan Zimmerman
Old 02-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake.up.the.echoes View Post
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=66976

Relax everyone. We can all sleep easy. Ken's on top of things.

-Alan Zimmerman
Well that didn't last long
Old 02-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
My understanding is there are potentially damaging legal issues with the thread which was deleted. I would have taken the same action on this board. As for anything else I am not commenting at this time. But that deletion, I don't think, will eventually be classified as censoring. This issue has nothing to do with Ken or Goldin Auctions.

Last edited by Leon; 02-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Thanks for that info Leon.
And if I was wearing a cap, I'd tip it to you for allowing this discussion on your forum.

Thank you Sir.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

I don't want to be at post 666.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

Default Redacted thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
I'm at a loss here. Can someone explain to me what thread was deleted and what the content was? It doesn't need to be super specific and generalization is ok. I tried the Link provided by Alan but it's a dead end. Just curious if it was finally a retort by Mr.Goldin in response to the current controversy at hand. Lastly this is the 3rd picture or reference of GUU/Goldin to apes or monkeys am I missing something here or is this a inside joke?Thanks all

Last edited by dhernandez; 02-07-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Cory

So with this new information I hope two things will happen:

1.) The sports collectible auction "industry" will consolidate to the most trust worthy, best auction houses with great customer service. I am sure many of have our favorites as well as ones we are not fond of. We have already seen great expansion of the auction houses over the past ~10 years, and already started to see some contraction. If that contraction continues it will be good for the hobby (I'm not saying it boils down to 2 or 3 houses, but there a ton today) as sellers and bidders will have confidence in the process.

2.) More dealers and collectors will "sell" their cards and not just list in auction houses. I can remember 10+ years ago, when one would go to a large card show, there were so many great cards available for sale. Now it is challenging to purchase very good and great cards at a show. You can likely view them in an upcoming auction, but can not buy them. Often when I go to the National, I'll move on to a table and ask about a card (since virtually no cards are priced) and then find out it isn't for sale.

I know this news that comes out has meaningful negative implications. I'm simply looking for what, if any good may arise as I hope our industry cleans up and moves on.

Cory Weiser
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Kevin Keating's response to his inclusion on the list

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217793
Old 02-08-2016, 06:30 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Default low reserve

i believe some shillers shill because they don't wanna lose they're pants off. AH's set reserves at crazy low reserves. This is indeed not in favor of the consignor. AHs only care if item sells b/c bottom line is they still come out with a consignment fee and the only loser is the consignor.Perhaps a solution to this may be letting the consignor set his/her own reserve. At least that would eliminate those shillers who shill to avoid a loss. Its better for the consignor to buy they're own items back than take a loss and letting consignors set the reserve might solve that.

Last edited by mickeymao34; 02-08-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
i believe some shillers shill because they don't wanna lose they're pants off. AH's set reserves at crazy low reserves. This is indeed not in favor of the consignor. AHs only care if item sells b/c bottom line is they still come out with a consignment fee and the only loser is the consignor.Perhaps a solution to this may be letting the consignor set his/her own reserve. At least that would eliminate those shillers who shill to avoid a loss. Its better for the consignor to buy they're own items back than take a loss and letting consignors set the reserve might solve that.
I certainly understand the impulse: I lost a lot of money on some items that I sold in 2014 because IMO the AH set far too low an opening bid. The next time I consigned items for sale I required that the AH either set a reserve or guarantee me a minimum. There are enough alternatives out there for a seller to find an AH that won't put all of the risk on them. Or just sell your crap on eBay and set your own parameters. Regardless, not cheating other collectors isn't an option, it is a basic ethical value. Allen and crew lacked it and now they have to spend years in the pokey as a result. Good. I hope it hurts.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Shilling can be a viable strategy for consignors, but shouldn't be allowed by the AH's in fairness to the other bidders. If you're a consignor, get a decent reserve or minimum bid or find some other way to sell your items.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm not trying to excuse anyone's crappy wrongdoing, but is there really anyone here who didn't know shill bidding goes on in auctions? Really? I've known people asking friends to bid on their ebay auctions for 25 years. I'm not excusing anything, and the fact that the principles of auction houses were doing this is despicable, but the level of professed shock is really kind of stunning.

PS. Restaurant us lousy fish and put it in the stew; cops write a lot of tickets to meet quotas at the end of the month; doctors prescribe crap to get a commission; teachers play with the grades when their pay is dependent on it; bartenders give lousy vodka and lousy pours when you are not looking; and the guy in the sneaker store is going to try to talk you into the most expensive ones he sells.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'm not trying to excuse anyone's crappy wrongdoing, but is there really anyone here who didn't know shill bidding goes on in auctions? Really? I've known people asking friends to bid on their ebay auctions for 25 years. I'm not excusing anything, and the fact that the principles of auction houses were doing this is despicable, but the level of professed shock is really kind of stunning.

PS. Restaurant us lousy fish and put it in the stew; cops write a lot of tickets to meet quotas at the end of the month; doctors prescribe crap to get a commission; teachers play with the grades when their pay is dependent on it; bartenders give lousy vodka and lousy pours when you are not looking; and the guy in the sneaker store is going to try to talk you into the most expensive ones he sells.
Dear Son:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Love,

Mom.

Or not...
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I find your "teachers play with the grades when their pay is dependent on it" statement really damn offensive.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM

Double-crossing the FBI and DOJ on his cooperation agreement was about the dumbest thing Allen could have done, short of the underlying crimes. The Justice Dep't takes obstruction very seriously and Allen, accordingly, got what he deserved.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Jeff

Default On the victim's list

Had some time tonight to catch up on the latest hobby happenings and saw the list of Mastro shill bids and their victims. Oddly enough, I saw my name on this list:
45 Oct‐07 1713 Mastro Auctions, Inc. Edward (Josh) Petrie Jeff Schwarz Jeff Schwarz $630.00 $390.00 $ 390.00

Wow!! I apparently overpaid by $390 because of the shill bids. I know it does not make it right, but I have no record of what the item was, and I apparently had no trouble paying the higher dollar amount because I must have wanted the item badly enough. Many victims were taken for far more, and it was a shame that guys who I called my "hobby friends" (we are all Chicago area guys and Mastro actually invited me to his house once to see his collection - AMAZING!) would do that type of activity.

Guys just getting too greedy. They were the leaders in the field and wanted more. Sad.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Tim Newcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I find your "teachers play with the grades when their pay is dependent on it" statement really damn offensive.
Indeed. I have taught college since I was 23 (33 years) and not only have I never "played with a grade" to make or save money, I have even never heard of such a thing happening.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I taught for 8 years

and never gave or changed a grade for any reason nor was I ever asked to. Of course I taught mainly kinder and first grade :-0 - but did teach up to the 8th. I would have to agree it's bit insulting to disparage the profession - one in which legislators and supervisory staff are paid well in excess of a teacher's salary coupled with too large class sizes (especially in the poorest areas) and inadequate funding for books and a full well rounded curriculum. There are always individuals looking to get something for nothing but I would suggest that happens far less often within the teaching community than many other avocations in which an opinion carries some weight relative to the subject.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I apologize for my comment. I was not trying to insult anyone but made a dumb comment. My brother is a lifelong teacher and I believe it is the most important job in the world. And terribly underpaid and under appreciated.
On the east coast we have had numerous scandals in the last few years where principals and teachers have cooked grades where raises and promotions were tied to scores on standardized testing. Examples where principles have erased grades and changed them where they felt their job was on the line. This obviously reflects the efforts of a minimal amount of people.
I am truly sorry that I made such a dumb comment.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

easy guys, i knew what he was talking about.

and i can understand why any teachers would get offended about it, because ya should!

it's happening in the middle / high school public systems here. basically, the teachers are under a quota for a certain percentage to pass a standardized test or they lose their job. several caught red handed and even found guilty of racketeering. yes, racketeering!

you teachers should be appalled, as well as any parents. it's disgusting, but i don't think his comment was directed at all teachers and certainly not college professors.

it is happening though.

edit: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...401-story.html

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-09-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: to add link.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I am appalled, trust me. I'm also appalled at the constant legislation that states we have to meet nearly-random set scores or, in the end, the entire school gets shut down.

IMHO, I also disagree with the shoe sales comparison, too. I think it's a salesperson's JOB to try to get you to buy stuff, the more the better.

But enough of this, let's get back to the main point.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 AM
Jeff

Same thing was a huge deal in Atlanta city schools in the last 10 years, reaching to highest levels of administrators as well. A very few bad apples just like any other profession.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:18 AM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperguy View Post
Had some time tonight to catch up on the latest hobby happenings and saw the list of Mastro shill bids and their victims. Oddly enough, I saw my name on this list:
45 Oct‐07 1713 Mastro Auctions, Inc. Edward (Josh) Petrie Jeff Schwarz Jeff Schwarz $630.00 $390.00 $ 390.00

Wow!! I apparently overpaid by $390 because of the shill bids. I know it does not make it right, but I have no record of what the item was, and I apparently had no trouble paying the higher dollar amount because I must have wanted the item badly enough. Many victims were taken for far more, and it was a shame that guys who I called my "hobby friends" (we are all Chicago area guys and Mastro actually invited me to his house once to see his collection - AMAZING!) would do that type of activity.

Guys just getting too greedy. They were the leaders in the field and wanted more. Sad.

Jeff.........that appears to be a Topps Battle wrapper..........

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=76298
Closed Thread