NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Default Found cards at Target

Dropped in to my Target yesterday and hey had Topps chrome, Heritage high numbers, Topps 70 and a few others. I was shocked to see so much baseball product. Normally I find nothing.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:25 PM
J@RR0D

I was passing a Target today so I decided to stop after seeing this post. They had five boxes of Heritage Hi #s and this sign:

Old 02-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Jeff H

The Target store by me also has purchase limits on sports cards.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:25 PM

Wow, “peak card” moment.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:44 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Have seen these signs for a couple months at Target.. Some even ask to ask an associate for help since they hide them behind the counter now.. They said theft is higher opening packs and taking the "hot cards"..
Old 02-22-2021, 05:04 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

My Target did have a sign for limit one of each item. I was able to pick up a Heritage High numbers box, 2021 Topps box, Topps 2021 Hanger Box and some loose Topps Chrome Packs. I was just excited to see something there after a long drought. Entire thread of empty Target shelves over on the Blowout Forum. I guess I was just there at the right time.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:13 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
My Target did have a sign for limit one of each item. I was able to pick up a Heritage High numbers box, 2021 Topps box, Topps 2021 Hanger Box and some loose Topps Chrome Packs. I was just excited to see something there after a long drought. Entire thread of empty Target shelves over on the Blowout Forum. I guess I was just there at the right time.

Yeah, I lurk on Blowout and found that thread. Honestly, if I didn't see that thread, I would have no idea what's occurring at retails stores.

I think I saw cards at Target maybe twice last year...and even then it was only a few packs. If not for that thread, I just would have assumed that retail stores just aren't ordering many cards these days.

Turns out that couldn't be further from the truth. Sounds like people are camping out, hoarding, buying entire shelves worth as soon as they are stocked. Crazy.

I don't collect modern cards really, but I typically like to open a few packs every year just to see what the cards look like.

I happened to be in Target over my lunch break last Friday and saw the guy stocking the card aisle...he wasn't done and the aisle was roped off. He asked if he could get me anything, so I asked if he could give me a Series 1 blaster. He was surprised I only wanted one. I could see the shelf was FULL of baseball cards, but he said it wouldn't last long.

I was happy to have a few packs to open. I wonder how long they lasted on the shelf?
Old 02-25-2021, 07:55 AM

you're not exaggerating about folks "camping out"

I stopped off at my local Target last week after dropping my daughter at school...so early morning. The "card aisle" was literally a sea of humanity...no fewer than 20 folks, sitting on the floor with snacks and backpacks waiting for the cards to arrive. The only thing I have seen similar is the opening morning queue at Wimbledon...well, maybe THAT is an exaggeration
Old 02-26-2021, 06:44 PM
Dan Bretta

The card flippers in my town follow the Target guy from store to store. We have 3 Targets. If I am at a Target I will look to see if they have cards, but I don't go there for cards because the shelves are always empty except for maybe some hockey cards.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 AM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
you're not exaggerating about folks "camping out"

I stopped off at my local Target last week after dropping my daughter at school...so early morning. The "card aisle" was literally a sea of humanity...no fewer than 20 folks, sitting on the floor with snacks and backpacks waiting for the cards to arrive. The only thing I have seen similar is the opening morning queue at Wimbledon...well, maybe THAT is an exaggeration

That is simply repulsive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 06:39 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I’ve never even looked for cards at target , I don’t collect modern .... but I am going there tomorrow and maybe I’ll buy some stuff . What should I be looking for in baseball or other sports ?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

In my area we don't have any trouble getting baseball. The flippers are all after the shiny basketball and football. All of the Panini Prizim, Optic, Hoops etc. are gone the minute the distributors put it on the shelves. Usually the guys are standing there waiting and the distributor asks who wants what, and then hands it out evenly to anyone standing there. The flippers all know what days particular stores get stocked, so they show up and camp out. The local Targets have gotten to the point where they sometimes run them out of the store. Local Walmarts are literally having managers being paid off to go into the back before the distributors get there to grab the cases of product, which are then given to the guys making the payoffs. It's insane. I'm happy that I don't care about the football and basketball, because I can usually grab any baseball I'm interested in without much trouble. Sometimes when the baseball first comes out the flippers grab it out of habit, but pretty soon they stop. Last year I was able to get all of the Series 1, Series 2, Update and Chrome that I wanted. We've still got Chrome update on shelves, and some stores still have regular 2020 Update packs and boxes.
kevin
Old 03-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Happened to go to Target for other stuff and not only did they have the sign limiting the number of packs, they had a locked cabinet for the cards. It was empty. But locking up cards? That's a new one on me.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:09 AM

At one of my local Walgreens, they had one blister pack of 2021 topps

It was hanging, encased in its own individual plastic box with a locking mechanism. The same kind of cubes you see at Best Buy when buying electronics. The lady who checked me out said they had to do this to stop the rampant theft. It was a $9 pack...

It seems I have stumbled into some sort of strange alternate reality...
Old 03-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Happened to go to Target for other stuff and not only did they have the sign limiting the number of packs, they had a locked cabinet for the cards. It was empty. But locking up cards? That's a new one on me.
Stores should actually do that and make you pay right away. I've come across situations where people opened the packs in the store and took the good cards.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Stores should actually do that and make you pay right away. I've come across situations where people opened the packs in the store and took the good cards.
Fantastic. And the score remains Asshattery 1, Decency nil