NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2021, 04:27 PM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 261
Default With the stakes rising, how worried should we be about high quality counterfeit cards

We've all been watching and marveling at the exponential increase in card prices (modern and vintage) recently.

I know most people on this board and vintage collectors in general are honest folks. However, money tends to attract lots of different types of people...including scam artists and crooks.

We've always believed it is hard to counterfeit old, vintage cards. And I believe that to a degree. I think it would be hard if not impossible for most people to produce a believable counterfeit with easily accessible equipment.

However, over the last 12 months there are MANY cards that have crossed over the 50K range. Making it reasonable for a bad actor to invest a lot of money in to specialized equipment to produce fake cards in small batches and still be able to make a reasonable return.

And I have to be honest...the thread on this board a few months back regarding the Dover Reprint Cracker Jack card getting in to a PSA slab really spooked me. I mean, that card literally had the perforations showing and was still graded as an authentic card. That was a TERRIBLE fake. So my faith in PSA to be able to discern between an original and a professionally done counterfeit is low.

Unfortunately, I'm NOT in the group of people that has enough disposable income to be spending 50K on a card any time soon, but for those people that will be...is that something that should cross their mind? Do you think PSA and SGC are being extra diligent to be on the lookout for a fresh breed of crooks to enter the market along with all these high dollar buyers?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,978
Default

Great question - you have to figure that with stakes getting this high the TPGs better be on their toes. The next question - can we trust the TPGs? Pretty soon it will just be too expensive to have a high dollar card graded.

I thought the TPGs fees are based on the value of the card. Is that not correct? If so, how much is it going to cost to have a TPG encapsulate the following:
  • T206 Green Cobb (VG-EX)
  • 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth (any of them) (EX)
  • Rookie Trout Chrome that recently sold for just stupid money
__________________
doh, doh, doh, doh....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2021, 05:49 PM
Wimberleycardcollector Wimberleycardcollector is offline
D@vid H@W@RD
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 92
Default

From my 30 plus years in graphic design, advertising and printing the technology and ability is there to create a perfect counterfeit vintage card. Vintage stocks can also be found. It's an expensive and time consuming project to faithfully recreate it but someone might try now that the stakes are getting higher. Cost has generally been the prohibitive factor in the past to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
I agree it's getting pretty scary with all the doctoring out there and fakes getting by grading companies. Makes me feel better that most of my nice vintage cards came from family collections or friends and were collected mostly before 1980. I'm extremely careful when buying vintage now especially since I collect raw cards.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
From my 30 plus years in graphic design, advertising and printing the technology and ability is there to create a perfect counterfeit vintage card. Vintage stocks can also be found. It's an expensive and time consuming project to faithfully recreate it but someone might try now that the stakes are getting higher. Cost has generally been the prohibitive factor in the past to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
Yeah, this was the answer I was afraid of...and it sounds like you have some expertise in the printing process.

With the payoff apparently being exponentially larger recently, it may make it worth while for criminals to invest the time/money.

And if someone perfects an undetectable counterfeit method...then what?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:11 PM
chadeast chadeast is offline
Chad E.
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
And I have to be honest...the thread on this board a few months back regarding the Dover Reprint Cracker Jack card getting in to a PSA slab really spooked me. I mean, that card literally had the perforations showing and was still graded as an authentic card. That was a TERRIBLE fake. So my faith in PSA to be able to discern between an original and a professionally done counterfeit is low.
You're not alone. I recently returned to the hobby after a 9 year hiatus, and was dismayed (and also very impressed) to read about all of the work done over at Blowout in pulling back the curtain on the bad actor(s) in the PWCC situation. But it didn't really shock me, I've stuck with non-high grade vintage for a long time, partly because I never really trusted that the TPGs (or perhaps anyone) could detect expertly done trimming and/or doctoring.

But seeing that Connie Mack CJ reprint in a PSA slab really rocked me to my core. After I saw it, I just couldn't unsee it, if you know what I mean. It shattered my confidence in PSA.
__________________
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, Hankphenom, thecapeleague, Leon & others

currently working on a '33 Goudey set
want list:
T213-2's - whatever you've got
1933G Ruth #144 (yeah, I know, join the crowd)
1921 Exhbiits Walter Johnson (& anything Big Train!)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 971
Default

One of the reasons I like my cards a little dirty.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img380.jpg (77.1 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg img382.jpg (80.5 KB, 626 views)
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 108/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 AM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
One of the reasons I like my cards a little dirty.
-
Yes, I enjoy cards in that condition as well. In my opinion, the "natural state" of a pre war card is a 2 or 3 grade. Postwar 1950's cards it is probably a 4 or 5.

In my head cards that are better than that either were originally opened by a kid overly obsessed with keeping his "toys" nice, or I suspect something fishy might have occurred.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:53 AM
benjulmag benjulmag is offline
CoreyRS.hanus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
From my 30 plus years in graphic design, advertising and printing the technology and ability is there to create a perfect counterfeit vintage card. Vintage stocks can also be found. It's an expensive and time consuming project to faithfully recreate it but someone might try now that the stakes are getting higher. Cost has generally been the prohibitive factor in the past to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
I agree it's getting pretty scary with all the doctoring out there and fakes getting by grading companies. Makes me feel better that most of my nice vintage cards came from family collections or friends and were collected mostly before 1980. I'm extremely careful when buying vintage now especially since I collect raw cards.
I agree that the technology exists to make a counterfeit that could not be visually detected. Whether it can be made to also elude all measures of forensic detection is another question, as to accomplish that more is needed than just old paper stock. But given the financial incentive to do so, I wouldn't bet against it. The bottom line to me is that if an unknown copy of a highly desirable card (e.g., Baltimore News Ruth) was to suddenly turn up, without provenance to establish its existence to a period when the financial incentive to manufacture a counterfeit did not exist, I would not have the comfort level to consider acquiring it. And by provenance I am talking about more than just the story of the current owner attesting that it has been in the family for many years.

I will add that the existence of provenance IMO will begin to matter more and more in regard to condition rarity cards (e.g., 52 Topps Mantle). In that instance, the issue, besides whether the card is counterfeit, also is whether the card has been worked on. How many 1952 Topps Mantles 8 and higher do you think have not had work done on them? With that card, I think in time those that can be documented to come from the Rosen find will begin to sell for significant premiums. Being uncirculated cards not only are they much more likely to be unaltered, but also they posses a sheen and border whiteness that IMO give them noticeably greater eye appeal than non Rosen-find copies.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Popcorn Popcorn is offline
Christopher
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 71
Default

I’m more worried about usps “losing” packages, even registered mail ones.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Kevin Kevin is online now
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Long Island
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Yes, I enjoy cards in that condition as well. In my opinion, the "natural state" of a pre war card is a 2 or 3 grade. Postwar 1950's cards it is probably a 4 or 5.

In my head cards that are better than that either were originally opened by a kid overly obsessed with keeping his "toys" nice, or I suspect something fishy might have occurred.
Years ago, I bought a Davy Jones T206. It was in pristine condition. I had suspected I was ripped off and handled it so much, I think I dinged it. Looking back, no reason to fake a Davy Jones, but now...with the technology and stakes...I’m not so sure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
From my 30 plus years in graphic design, advertising and printing the technology and ability is there to create a perfect counterfeit vintage card. Vintage stocks can also be found. It's an expensive and time consuming project to faithfully recreate it but someone might try now that the stakes are getting higher. Cost has generally been the prohibitive factor in the past to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
I agree it's getting pretty scary with all the doctoring out there and fakes getting by grading companies. Makes me feel better that most of my nice vintage cards came from family collections or friends and were collected mostly before 1980. I'm extremely careful when buying vintage now especially since I collect raw cards.
I agree, I've been saying that a nearly undetectable fake is possible since about 1981. The only thing that prevented credible fakes of modern cards in the 80's was that most of the fakers did sloppy work.

Today there's so much more access to materials that I believe it's even more likely.

Even the ink formulations can probably be duplicated. The machine to figure out the exact composition costs less than many cards now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 AM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 808
Default

I recall a year or two ago there it was proven that a large percentage of vintage autographed cards that were authenticated/graded had fake autographs. I had always thought that some day I would splurge big bucks on an autographed T206. Of course one graded/authenticated so I know its real. I no longer plan on making that splurge.

What happens if we reach a point that fakes get so good that people lose confidence in the grading companies to detect. Will people spend $100,000 on a card that might be a reprint?
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...tag=bdonaldson
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:11 AM
ASF123 ASF123 is offline
Andrew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 242
Default

This one looks pretty darn good to me - none of the obvious telltale signs, and the print pattern looks like it *could* be legit if you were able to zoom in more closely/clearly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Topps-...EAAOSwGm1gNO8Y

Am I missing any dead giveaways about the card itself?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:22 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
This one looks pretty darn good to me - none of the obvious telltale signs, and the print pattern looks like it *could* be legit if you were able to zoom in more closely/clearly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Topps-...EAAOSwGm1gNO8Y

Am I missing any dead giveaways about the card itself?
Only some that are only semi-obvious.

They're more obvious if you've handled a bunch of 58s, which is one of the reasons I usually recommend that anyone getting started buy a good sized lot of commons and spend some time with them before buying the expensive ones.
Even then, it helps to have the sort of brain that lets you see the details, and not everyone does. I can do it with cards, but usually not with autographs.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Yeah, this was the answer I was afraid of...and it sounds like you have some expertise in the printing process.

With the payoff apparently being exponentially larger recently, it may make it worth while for criminals to invest the time/money.

And if someone perfects an undetectable counterfeit method...then what?
More cards for PSA!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:36 AM
mq711 mq711 is offline
Mel Quatt.lebaum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I agree, I've been saying that a nearly undetectable fake is possible since about 1981. The only thing that prevented credible fakes of modern cards in the 80's was that most of the fakers did sloppy work.

Today there's so much more access to materials that I believe it's even more likely.

Even the ink formulations can probably be duplicated. The machine to figure out the exact composition costs less than many cards now.
I agree, a lot of counterfeit and altered cards are already graded and encapsulated never to be exposed to fresh air and further review again. And why would the owner subject their card to a review and loose a high grade or rare card. Even the talented folks on BO seem to determine alterations due to printing irregularities and not by detecting the actual adjustment.

The general hobby doesn’t seem to be concerned with the past scandals and the perpetrators seem to have dodged prosecution and continue to make hugh amounts of money. The only chance I see of anything changing is when an insurance company balks at paying a multimillion dollar claim and determines the cards in question were fake the whole time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:36 AM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Years ago, I bought a Davy Jones T206. It was in pristine condition. I had suspected I was ripped off and handled it so much, I think I dinged it. Looking back, no reason to fake a Davy Jones, but now...with the technology and stakes...I’m not so sure.
He was my favorite Monkey.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-23-2021, 12:01 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
I agree, a lot of counterfeit and altered cards are already graded and encapsulated never to be exposed to fresh air and further review again. And why would the owner subject their card to a review and loose a high grade or rare card. Even the talented folks on BO seem to determine alterations due to printing irregularities and not by detecting the actual adjustment.

The general hobby doesn’t seem to be concerned with the past scandals and the perpetrators seem to have dodged prosecution and continue to make hugh amounts of money. The only chance I see of anything changing is when an insurance company balks at paying a multimillion dollar claim and determines the cards in question were fake the whole time.
Extremely sad, but unfortunately very true.

Still holding out hope that the FBI is just being thorough and methodical in their investigation, rather than washing their hands of all this. The level of fraud and corruption is bigger than Mastro, Operation Bullpen, and the counterfeit signed T206 fiasco combined.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-23-2021, 05:25 PM
Lila2222 Lila2222 is offline
Renay
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: VT
Posts: 22
Default

I've wondered and asked this very same thing. I'm surprised with the high dollars cards are selling for, someone hasn't taken the time to meticulously reproduce every detail in a fake so as to make it undetectable; instead it seems they make consistent visible mistakes when even an average graphic designer could edit an image/font to make it the exact measurements of the original. It would be a significant undertaking to exactly mimic the paper content, ink content, etc but it does seem doable? It almost seems an eventuality especially with technology and increasing market values.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-23-2021, 07:51 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,978
Default

Just curious, most are wondering about reprinting vintage cards. Wouldn't it be easier to reprint Jordan rookies that are newer and with less worries about finding a card stock to match.
__________________
doh, doh, doh, doh....

Last edited by Fred; 02-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-23-2021, 08:03 PM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just curious, most are wondering about reprinting vintage cards. Wouldn't it be easier to reprint Jordan rookies that are newer and with less worries about finding a card stock to match.
I don’t know if it would be easier, but it would likely get more scrutiny than a good fake Goudey Ruth printed on 1930’s cardboard if the stock was right.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18

Last edited by conor912; 02-23-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2021, 04:17 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,035
Default

I believe that alternations are the concern, not undetectable counterfeits. There are always methods to identity reprints, even of modern cards, and undetectable reprints of Pre-War cards I don't believe is possible. Of course, errors and misidentifications will be made, but I think companies such as SGC and PSA will always be reliable as far as authentication goes.

And of course that's not to say there won't be detectable counterfeits that will be bought and sold. Bad counterfeits are bought today and have been for decades. That's not a matter of technological innovations.

The one area where a troublesome forgery of a Pre-War card(s) or similar memorabilia will happen is a brand new creation of something that didn't exist before (a fantast card). There a forger can use the Pre-War printing technology. As we all know, overprints or something like that can also be an issue, because someone's just adding a stamp or whatever to an authentic card.

Last edited by drcy; 02-24-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,590
Default

This is the first fake I ever bought, at the first show I went to in 1978. It was a whole $2....
besides the falsely aged stock, the tip off was that that back didn't come on that card. (Pointed out to me by the dealer I hung out at)



I got a lot better at picking that stuff up, partly because they made themselves a few fantasy cards, which were always sort of obvious.

in 82 or 83 they showed me a 51 Mantle that was being sent around to dealers in hopes they'd buy it.
Without telling me anything, they just handed it to me one day and asked me what I thought. It was incredibly nice looking. Today it would probably be a 9 or 10.
"Beautiful card, but it's fake. And it bugs me that I can't explain why"
I tried finding an explanation for maybe a half hour.

Apparently that was their opinion, and that of at least 3-4 other dealers who had seen it.
It still sort of bugs me, and I'm almost positive that today I could explain why.
I also wonder where that card is now, and if it's in a very highly graded slab.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2021, 11:57 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just curious, most are wondering about reprinting vintage cards. Wouldn't it be easier to reprint Jordan rookies that are newer and with less worries about finding a card stock to match.
It would depend on the set. In some ways, a modern card is harder. Separating the four colors on the picture and getting the exact halftone would be difficult.

Any of the single color sets would be fairly easy if someone was skilled. Same for the two color sets like E100 or T210

Strip cards...Like W516 Which are often wildly inconsistent would probably be the easiest.
48Leaf
R302

"Good enough" to pass current grading wouldn't be hard.

"Good enough" to be totally undetectable? would be hard.

As others have said, a totally "new" fantasy set... easy.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Wimberleycardcollector Wimberleycardcollector is offline
D@vid H@W@RD
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 92
Default

I'll guarantee you I can build artwork that will look exactly like the original. Down to the dot pattern, dot size and off registrations. All one needs from that is vintage card stock that can easily be found and on offset printer still using the old pre press techniques. A few paper companies are also making some vintage style stocks these days due to the demand for more and more vintage looking materials. As for pre-war cards those unique printing processes are also still practiced by smaller companies and individuals albeit not a ton of them. Like I said earlier cost has always been the biggest factor but with prices getting crazy someone might be dumb enough to try it. If money can be counterfeited cards can be. Look at the lengths the government has had to go to prevent that.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2021, 03:24 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,035
Default

It depends on which cards. Allen & Ginters and T206s, for example, simply cannot be exactly duplicated. For some modern card, it may be different.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2021, 03:32 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 6,701
Default

Here is a link that gives some insight on counterfeiting. https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289753
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2021, 04:01 PM
tkd's Avatar
tkd tkd is offline
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 106
Default

The numbered cards of today aren't such a bad thing for modern. It would be strange to see multiple # 2/5 of the same Jordan on ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-26-2021, 02:21 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd View Post
The numbered cards of today aren't such a bad thing for modern. It would be strange to see multiple # 2/5 of the same Jordan on ebay.
There is a 1/1 where two copies are known.

Fleer kept a file copy that got into the hobby when Fleers files were sold.

I believe both are slabbed, and yes, the confusion was "interesting"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-26-2021, 08:28 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,035
Default

One's probably the equivalent of a proof or prototype.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 8,942
Default

IMO the bigger threat is someone knocking off the PSA holders and then encapsulating genuine cards, especially modern where the PSA grade blessing means thousands of dollars over minute or imperceptible differences. You can buy a beautiful raw 1996 Fleer Metal Kobe RC for $50-$100. A PSA 10 is a $3,000 card. A raw Ultra LeBron RC is also a $50-$100 raw card; PSA 10 $8,000. I would expect that the counterfeiters, who are likely going to be from China with access to the factories that make the card holders and components are located, will make what they know first. Run a third shift at the plastics factory making PSA holders, spend the $$ duplicating the flip in a high end print shop, get some raw cards and mint money. There are over 4,000 Kobe RCs in the PSA database, including over 900 nines; just take your pick of cert #s and go to work.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-27-2021, 09:44 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 29,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
We've all been watching and marveling at the exponential increase in card prices (modern and vintage) recently.

I know most people on this board and vintage collectors in general are honest folks. However, money tends to attract lots of different types of people...including scam artists and crooks.

We've always believed it is hard to counterfeit old, vintage cards. And I believe that to a degree. I think it would be hard if not impossible for most people to produce a believable counterfeit with easily accessible equipment.

However, over the last 12 months there are MANY cards that have crossed over the 50K range. Making it reasonable for a bad actor to invest a lot of money in to specialized equipment to produce fake cards in small batches and still be able to make a reasonable return.

And I have to be honest...the thread on this board a few months back regarding the Dover Reprint Cracker Jack card getting in to a PSA slab really spooked me. I mean, that card literally had the perforations showing and was still graded as an authentic card. That was a TERRIBLE fake. So my faith in PSA to be able to discern between an original and a professionally done counterfeit is low.

Unfortunately, I'm NOT in the group of people that has enough disposable income to be spending 50K on a card any time soon, but for those people that will be...is that something that should cross their mind? Do you think PSA and SGC are being extra diligent to be on the lookout for a fresh breed of crooks to enter the market along with all these high dollar buyers?

People that can spend 50k on a card (not me) have to consider fakes and be aware. If they don't they will eventually be out of some money, just as soon as the music stops.

Reminds me of the time, several years back, I bought a PRO graded Ruth ...To that point I had only seen really bad grading in their holders. After that I unfortunately found out they also graded fakes as originals. Regarding TPGs, I am happy another one is ramping up. If I am correct, they are the only one of the regular TPGs (and I think they will be regular) that offer a guaranty on their graded cards, and not just for the incorrectly done grading fees.





.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 02-27-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,035
Default

Provenance, provenance, provenance.

It doesn't matter if a card is counterfeited in 2021 if you have proof your card existed in 2018
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:58 AM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
IMO the bigger threat is someone knocking off the PSA holders and then encapsulating genuine cards, especially modern where the PSA grade blessing means thousands of dollars over minute or imperceptible differences. You can buy a beautiful raw 1996 Fleer Metal Kobe RC for $50-$100. A PSA 10 is a $3,000 card. A raw Ultra LeBron RC is also a $50-$100 raw card; PSA 10 $8,000. I would expect that the counterfeiters, who are likely going to be from China with access to the factories that make the card holders and components are located, will make what they know first. Run a third shift at the plastics factory making PSA holders, spend the $$ duplicating the flip in a high end print shop, get some raw cards and mint money. There are over 4,000 Kobe RCs in the PSA database, including over 900 nines; just take your pick of cert #s and go to work.
This.

Given the large percentage of investors who seem more interested in the holder than the card, this is where I would spend my time if I were a scum bag counterfeiter**

I would think the holders would be easier to counterfeit than a 100 year old card

** I am not
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...tag=bdonaldson
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM
benjulmag benjulmag is offline
CoreyRS.hanus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
This.

Given the large percentage of investors who seem more interested in the holder than the card, this is where I would spend my time if I were a scum bag counterfeiter**

I would think the holders would be easier to counterfeit than a 100 year old card

** I am not
Wouldn't the problem to doing that be that unless you counterfeited a legitimate certification number on the flip, one could easily determine that the card is a counterfeit? And if you did use a legitimate certification number, you run the real risk of the owner of the legitimate flip coming forward and calling you out for fraud.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Wouldn't the problem to doing that be that unless you counterfeited a legitimate certification number on the flip, one could easily determine that the card is a counterfeit? And if you did use a legitimate certification number, you run the real risk of the owner of the legitimate flip coming forward and calling you out for fraud.
Yeah, which is why you do it with abundant modern cards like the Kobe RC I used as an example. How many of those could you pump out before it caused a problem? There are under 300 Kobe Bryant PSA Registry sets. That leaves over 600 PSA 9 cert #s to steal. A crook with a modicum of organizational skills could clear a small fortune before anyone took steps to stop it.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:59 PM
jcmtiger's Avatar
jcmtiger jcmtiger is offline
Joe M.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Great question - you have to figure that with stakes getting this high the TPGs better be on their toes. The next question - can we trust the TPGs? Pretty soon it will just be too expensive to have a high dollar card graded.

I thought the TPGs fees are based on the value of the card. Is that not correct? If so, how much is it going to cost to have a TPG encapsulate the following:
  • T206 Green Cobb (VG-EX)
  • 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth (any of them) (EX)
  • Rookie Trout Chrome that recently sold for just stupid money
On the Cobb if you had it 10 yrs ago should have graded it then, probably$10,000 card then, now probably high $ 20,000 , not sure how they charge, had mine graded 20 years ago. Joe
__________________
"Ty Cobb, Spikes Flying"

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
Tomlinson Cabinets.
Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-02-2021, 08:12 AM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
People that can spend 50k on a card (not me) have to consider fakes and be aware. If they don't they will eventually be out of some money, just as soon as the music stops.

Reminds me of the time, several years back, I bought a PRO graded Ruth ...To that point I had only seen really bad grading in their holders. After that I unfortunately found out they also graded fakes as originals. Regarding TPGs, I am happy another one is ramping up. If I am correct, they are the only one of the regular TPGs (and I think they will be regular) that offer a guaranty on their graded cards, and not just for the incorrectly done grading fees.







.
Hi Leon,

As for the Fro-Joy Ruth, isn't it still technically possible that the one you pictured is real? I know that SGC (and PSA I believe) stopped grading that issue. Presumably because they couldn't discern between the real ones and the numerous fake ones?

I looked in to purchasing one of those a few years back but gave up...because if SGC and PSA admitted they can't tell the difference, then I wouldn't have a chance. It's not like I could just buy a few authentic commons to analyze the look, feel, smell, etc. (which is my usual practice before I buy something expensive)...because every card in the set is a Ruth
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 29,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Hi Leon,

As for the Fro-Joy Ruth, isn't it still technically possible that the one you pictured is real? I know that SGC (and PSA I believe) stopped grading that issue. Presumably because they couldn't discern between the real ones and the numerous fake ones?

I looked in to purchasing one of those a few years back but gave up...because if SGC and PSA admitted they can't tell the difference, then I wouldn't have a chance. It's not like I could just buy a few authentic commons to analyze the look, feel, smell, etc. (which is my usual practice before I buy something expensive)...because every card in the set is a Ruth
It is 100% real. SGC is incompetent to be able to grade them.

.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM
TedWill1939's Avatar
TedWill1939 TedWill1939 is offline
Jeff
member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a link that gives some insight on counterfeiting. https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289753
If old masters paintings can fool experts in the art world so can anything else. Create a good fake get it passed a TPG and you probably have a large segment that just relie on the TPG, equals money in hand
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High stakes fantasy baseball league with opening for 1 new owner JWBlue Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 1 02-14-2017 09:37 PM
Fantasy baseball: High stakes league with opening for 1 owner JWBlue Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 0 03-15-2016 02:07 PM
High stakes fantasy league expanding -3 franchises available JWBlue Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 4 03-26-2015 09:43 AM
1965 lou brock, worried if counterfeit anthonyNaz Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 10 03-20-2013 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.


ebay GSB