NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How I feel about these modern Helmar creations-
I like them. 121 58.17%
I don't like them. 52 25.00%
I don't care. 35 16.83%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Helmar Boston Garter Cobb and others...

I see this Cobb and think how great looking these cards are. I really like them for exactly what they are. I know some others don't care for them. However I would like to see the boards approval or disapproval as I am curious. When voting just keep in mind what they are intended to be, I believe, which is fine, modern creations of some great players and cards. They certainly aren't meant to deceive. Anything that adds value, in a legitimate way, to our hobby is a good thing (to me).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H813-4-Bosto...item1c2d4909f7

Last edited by Leon; 11-20-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM

What's the history with these? I've seen a few in the past, but don't know the back story. Please elaborate- who produces Helmar, what year, how many produced, etc

Last edited by MVSNYC; 11-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Jason Wells

I like them.I haven't purchased any but I placed a bid or two on some nice Virginia League ones.I would rather buy a Prewar card but some of these have really cool images.

Last edited by Jason; 11-20-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Scott S

I really wish they weren't listed as "Pre-WWII (Pre-1942)" era, since they are being made right now. I wouldn't totally say that "they certainly aren't meant to deceive" when they are listed in this manner.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I like them but have no desire to collect them. Hence, I had to vote "I don't care".
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I like them but have no desire to collect them. Hence, I had to vote "I don't care".
Yeah, no matter how the question was phrased I knew confusion would exist so I tried to take the Keep-it-Simple method. The question doesn't pertain to if you want to collect them only if you like them. Otherwise it would have said "do you want to, or do you, collect them" ......thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I can't believe I am saying this, but I almost wish they were more mass-produced. I could see myself collecting them if they were priced closer to modern cards. I suppose the fact that they aren't mass-produced is what has created the niche market.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM

History/info, please....
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
History/info, please....
Michael- Everything is posted in the link at the bottom of the auction.....and the creator has been on the board before too. Best regards
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Tom Boblitt

I think they're great. I agree that they expand the vintage market to a certain degree. They are clearly marked as well. I have picked up a couple of the L1 like leathers that they have made. Just looking at them on the internet, you don't really get the full effect of the craftsmanship of them. They are well made items.............
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I really wish they weren't listed as "Pre-WWII (Pre-1942)" era, since they are being made right now. I wouldn't totally say that "they certainly aren't meant to deceive" when they are listed in this manner.
I voted that I like them, but that is for what they are.

I hate that when I am searching PreWWII I have to put "-helmar" in my search otherwise it gets saturated by these things. Ebay has a policy against this in their "Seach and Browse manipulation policy". Yet we know they don't enforce their own policies. If they did then any one that has "SGC 4 (Not PSA)" would also be breaking the rules yet the site is saturated with these listings.

Ebay really needs to enforce their own policies if they want to make it a better site.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, as someone who has created his own card sets, yes, I like them - they are wonderfully done, capture 'vintage', and what's not to like?

But while I like the actual physical cards, I don't get the prices. I commend the creators for getting the most $$$ possible from their idea, but I selfishly would like to see an undistressed affordable 'set' of their fantasy Boston Garters or '33 Goudeys. If the price were right, I would buy some.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H813-4-Bosto...ht_1142wt_1184

thanks guys, i've been brought up to speed now...they're stunning. love this Rube Foster!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
History/info, please....
Here's a previous thread with some good info, as well as a few posts from a Helmar representative, Charles.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM
pete ullman

I agree with some of the sentiments already stated:

I think they are very cool
I would never buy them due to the crazy prices
I have less of an issue with them being in the pre War category than topps/modern mass produced issues/pokemon crap
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Mark

This is the one I purchased. I like them to a point, I wanted something a little different and looks vintage. Some I'm not impressed. I have no plans to collect more than a 3-4 tops, maybe a wagner, matty young etc...but as a modern card I won't pay very much, I think I paid $40 for this one, adds a little to my collection.

Pre-WWII does deceive a little and when the dealer throws in the past "sold" price, it bothered me a tiny bit. But I got my card. I do think they should list it in a modern era.

Last edited by lug-nut; 11-04-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Rob

Default Helmar, sporting life etc

I'm kind of surprised at how well these cards are received. I would much rather have a 1975 Topps Jose Cruz in PSA 2 MC or a Paul Pierce 2nd year refractor in SGC 82. I'd rather that ebay list them with other modern cards.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I thought these things were going to be trashed on the board, but am pleasantly surprised at how many folks like them.

I voted that I like them. I think a lot of them look really nice and would be a great compliment to a prewar collection, especially displayed on a shelf alongside authentic prewar cards.

The prices keep me from buying any of them. Like others have said, I would rather spend the money on an actual vintage card. If I could pick up a nice Matty or Cobb Boston Garter Helmar for $10.00 I might do it, but the bigger stars always seem to go much higher.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Dave H@rford

Strictly looking at the card as artwork, these have appeal to me. I have attempted to pick up the Matty version, but the three sold have sold for significantly more than I would be willing to pay for them ($205, $255, $350). While I would never collect many of these art cards, select ones do appeal to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Mike

I have seen more than a couple that I found quite well done. If I stumbled on one in a lot purchase or some such, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. However, I agree 100% that they shouldn't be listed in the Pre-War listings on eBay. I don't filter them out but sometimes they are a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 11-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM

I like them but they don't belong in the Pre-WW2 section of eBay. I understand why they're there (to appeal to us). But I think they shouldn't be.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM

I have to agree - I like them for the looks and style, but I would never pay more than $5 or $10 for one. Just because they will only make a max of 4 per year doesn't mean that they are rare.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I have to agree - I like them for the looks and style, but I would never pay more than $5 or $10 for one. Just because they will only make a max of 4 per year doesn't mean that they are rare.
Thats actually pretty rare...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Joe M.

I like them, but don't like the price.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I sure do like them after seeing a lot of them this evening, on the bay. I don't think I like them enough to pay the amount they go for but.... they sure are purty...(sic) Maybe they will mass produce some in the future and the prices will come down a little.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM

I think these things are great, love looking at them, just won't pay the price. I tried to get the Pirates version of the "die-cut" as they're referred to. It's basically six t206 photos on a nice background. I think I gave up around $25 though, my highest price I'd pay for that one.

I have a feeling the Jim Thorpe Boston Garter just listed will fetch a small fortune. I also have no problem with them being in vintage because they are interesting items.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I voted that I like them. I don't own any and haven't bid on any only because I feel that owning one or a few modern remakes is not worth it to me. Same reason that I would not buy a T206 reprint card. I would however purchase a complete set of T206 reprints or a Helmar set if one was ever made. I know that the single cards are limited but hopefully when no more new ones are produced, that a special limited edition set of all cards would be made with a slight difference on the back such as a serial number to tell the limited first prints from the limits sets. I would then purchase a set.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I think they are great, just too pricey.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
This one might involve just a tad of 'deception', but if I were collecting the '33 Goudey set, it would make a good filler:

1933 Goudey Lajoie

Last edited by Runscott; 11-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think they're nice looking items and as long as no one purchasing them thinks they are rare or old or an investment, there is no harm. To me, they occupy the same niche as the 1950-56 Callahan, 1960-61 Fleer, 1961 Golden Press, and 1974 Laughlin Old Time Black Stars cards. That said, I cannot see buying one since there are so many actual vintage cards I want to buy given the prices of the ones I would be interested in owning. For example I saw a Clemente went for over $100--I could buy a genuine vintage Clemente in similar condition for less than that. I might consider a purchase of one of a living player if I was interested in getting it signed. I also like the Negro Leaguers issued as vintage cards of those players are basically so rare and so pricey that it is not realistic for most collectors to collect anything except a tribute type card anyway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The thing I don't quite get is why most unlicensed collector-issues are pretty much completely ignored, while these are treated like gold. I get the artwork, limited runs, vintage players, artificially aged thing. But still, we're talking about cards that in terms of the standard catalog, (I assume)by rule, wouldn't be included. Or if listed, should technically be listed as having "no value", just like every other collector issue or modern fantasy piece..
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Jeff

I think the answer lies in design, quality, player selection and a direct tie to classic sets of the past. Also the fact that the seller knows what he is doing in terms of selecting key Negro League figures with no cardboard (or limited) history. These are more than a reprint like issue, to me they are a quasi-card/artwork/etc.

To me there are a lot of things in the hobby that boggle, it just depends on what you like. Print freaks, scrap, backs as opposed to fronts, it's a big tent. I don't find the prices being paid hard to believe at all.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

At that extent(aside from print runs), what "really" separates them from the Klector/Miller Press/Monarch Corona or the modern Zeenut things? Or even those crayon drawings that have been discussed in the forums?

Last edited by novakjr; 11-21-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
At that extent(aside from print runs), what "really" separates them from the Klector/Miller Press/Monarch Corona or the modern Zeenut things?
I have never held one of those issues in my hand bf so this is a guess but I would say quality. Also they have now developed an "inertia" based on past sales.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I have never held one of those issues in my hand bf so this is a guess but I would say quality. Also they have now developed an "inertia" based on past sales.
that's a good point.. I guess the track record as far as demand speaks volumes about how they should be viewed..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

If the Helmar guys had simply created a set of Boston Garter cards, no distressing them, and sold that way, they might perform sale-wise, similarly to other vintage-wanabe issues. However, as Adam pointed out, they do fill in some missing niches. Could be that the Helmar guys read our board about fantasy cards we'd like to see, and gave them to us.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If the Helmar guys had simply created a set of Boston Garter cards, no distressing them, and sold that way, they might perform sale-wise, similarly to other vintage-wanabe issues. However, as Adam pointed out, they do fill in some missing niches. Could be that the Helmar guys read our board about fantasy cards we'd like to see, and gave them to us.
I sure would love to get an Old Judge Hugh "One Arm" Daily card in case anyone is listening. Maybe an Ed Beecher OJ, so I have all the 1887 Pittsburgh Alleghenys players in the same set. I have his Buchner card but I know it gets shunned when I'm not around
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Eric Perry

I voted, "like," with the following caveat:

If I were at a show, saw one that appealed to me, and the price was an amount I was willing to part with...I would buy it.

For reasons already mentioned in this thread, I am not entirely comfortable with the manner in which they have been listed for sale. Please pardon my pet peeve on this; however, I do appreciate accuracy throughout the entire listing.

As an aside...I occasionally think back to a similar situation from many years ago. I was at a show and a dealer had something in his case that I had only ever seen in a movie. It was the fantasy card of Roy Hobbs which was depicted in the movie, "The Natural."

Unless I am much mistaken, that card has little or no value; however, I do wish I had picked it up....just for its appeal to me.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
As an aside...I occasionally think back to a similar situation from many years ago. I was at a show and a dealer had something in his case that I had only ever seen in a movie. It was the fantasy card of Roy Hobbs which was depicted in the movie, "The Natural."

Unless I am much mistaken, that card has little or no value; however, I do wish I had picked it up....just for its appeal to me.

Best Regards,

Eric
Buy a whole sheet (not mine)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-car...item2577bba0fe
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I sincerely appreciate the link; however, at that price, I would rather pick up vintage material. Now, if I saw one of the Roy Hobbs single cards at a show for $5-$10, I would grab it.

So, to further answer the Helmar question...and sorry to stray from that topic in the first place...yes, I like them; however, would not pay very much for them.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Eric Perry

Sorry to reply to my own post; however, this particular Helmar piqued my interest quite a bit. It is priced just a bit too high for me to seriously consider purchasing...all things considered...although it is a nice contrast to the modern offerings being sold under the same name.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-L4-Leat...item51a41cf679

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Chris Counts

I love the images, but I don't like the way they are marketed and sold. And really, who knows how many of each card gets printed? The wording is vague. It's really a shame that more people can't enjoy these fantastic images. I would definitely collect these if they were printed in larger quantities and sold at a reasonable price. Until then, I'll pass and stick to vintage cards ...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Charles Mandel

Default Some interesting opinions here...

Thank you for all the input and thanks, Leon, for starting the thread. A few of the things I've read have really astonished me!

As I'm prone to tell anyone that talks to me for more than five minutes, I think that I have the best job in the world. Every day feels like I am eleven years old again, waking up on a late June morning, grabbing my mitt and badgering the first kid walking by my door to play a little catch. I'm pretty sure that even if 0% of the people liked the cards I make, I would still make them. It is very addictive and satisfying to be building a body of modest work. I've made many great friends through this experience and hope, over time, to make more.

I would find it hard to believe that what I do detracts from the hobby in any way. If anything, I believe that it brings a little vibrancy, a little fresh air to our collecting. Just because I make an art card of Eddie Grant, for example, the value or importance of other collections are not threatened or degraded. This is not a zero sum game; when I make a new card it does not mean that other cards are somehow less desirable. That is my opinion, at least.

A question has occurred to me a few times over the past couple of years: if there was some fellow, like me, who had been making cards like this back in the 1940's, for example, what would modern collectors think of them? I tend to think that they would be valued, perhaps quite highly. Well, the only difference between me and that hypothetical 1940's creator is a few decades. While I may be able to artificially age my creations, I can't make them genuinely old. Nature, however, will eventually take care of even that.

At the beginning of this post I mentioned that I was genuinely astonished at some of the comments. What surprised me was the idea that some of my cards should be more mass produced! My impression for the last twenty-five years is that they make too much of everything! Indeed, my idea of making just four cards a year and very publicly auctioning them (while spacing them out, at that) was my attempt at finding a reliable antidote to the problem that people could count on. In any event, I can't imagine doing much in the way of increased production. Certainly, in fact, for any series that I've made thus far. I think that it would disappoint the winning bidders of the "originals".

Thanks again for all your considered opinions, Charles from Helmar Brewing
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Clayton

I voted that I like them, because I do like the artwork. I like them in the same way that I like some of the TCMA stuff from the 70's (of the 60's ),,,but I have to agree with the others about how much they go for. I wouldn't pay that much for any modern card (but to each their own, and more power to the seller).

The artwork is beautiful, and if these cards attract modern card collectors to the pre war side, that is a definite plus !!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 AM
David McDonald

I like 'em a lot. Have five or six. Best modern tribute cards going in my opinionated opinion. Too expensive? Charles starts the cards out at a few bucks. The marketplace determines the price. It's an expensive hobby in the first place. Manufactured scarcity? Perhaps, but the guy is entitled to make a living by selling limited editions, and at least he's not peddling some hotshot's hyped-up 1 of 1 junk refractor. Some of the artwork resonates with me the same way as old tobacco cards or Goudeys. Shouldn't be in the vintage category? Lots of stuff shouldn't be in vintage - those weird "Zeenuts" and silly wheat penny whatevers, not to mention the absurd BIN's and the regular inventory dumps of cards you've seen a million times. Must Charles "voluntarily deport" himself from vintage, or should eBay just put their house in order? Collect what you like? Okie-dokie.
I hope Charles keeps right on doing what he's doing which is helping the hobby stay vital. Those ersatz Boston Garters are pretty darn nice and about as close to a BG as most of us will ever get. Besides, how can you not love cards like these?

ETA: John Q. Public is my nom du internet. My real name is David McDonald.

Last edited by Kawika; 11-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM

i like them alot but i think they sell for way to much money in opinion
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A couple more thoughts-

Charles- I certainly understand about not being able to mass produce at this point because you have committed them to being limited. Your first customers would be messed up price-wise if that were to happen. I totally agree. (love the artistic work my friend) Thanks for coming on the board and giving some more details and thoughts. Not everyone would come into the line of fire the way you have. That is commendable.

David McDonald- Well said. I love those cards. They look fabulous.

Most folks will never own the real things but since we are here.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ph813bostongarter1912rucker1.jpg (75.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg ph813bostongarter1913masterb.jpg (77.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Personally, I like the way the cards are artificially aged. This is not done to deceive, but rather to shift the focus away from getting that "gem mint" card with razor sharp corners. It's puts the focus back on the artwork -- the colors, the poses, the players, the colorful backgrounds -- and presents a card that appears "well loved", so to speak.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

I found it curious that no one had any concerns over the '33 Goudey Lajoie. It looks, well, kind of a whole lot like the real card, except for the back.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirraffles View Post
Thank you for all the input and thanks, Leon, for starting the thread. A few of the things I've read have really astonished me!

As I'm prone to tell anyone that talks to me for more than five minutes, I think that I have the best job in the world. Every day feels like I am eleven years old again, waking up on a late June morning, grabbing my mitt and badgering the first kid walking by my door to play a little catch. I'm pretty sure that even if 0% of the people liked the cards I make, I would still make them. It is very addictive and satisfying to be building a body of modest work. I've made many great friends through this experience and hope, over time, to make more.

I would find it hard to believe that what I do detracts from the hobby in any way. If anything, I believe that it brings a little vibrancy, a little fresh air to our collecting. Just because I make an art card of Eddie Grant, for example, the value or importance of other collections are not threatened or degraded. This is not a zero sum game; when I make a new card it does not mean that other cards are somehow less desirable. That is my opinion, at least.

A question has occurred to me a few times over the past couple of years: if there was some fellow, like me, who had been making cards like this back in the 1940's, for example, what would modern collectors think of them? I tend to think that they would be valued, perhaps quite highly. Well, the only difference between me and that hypothetical 1940's creator is a few decades. While I may be able to artificially age my creations, I can't make them genuinely old. Nature, however, will eventually take care of even that.

At the beginning of this post I mentioned that I was genuinely astonished at some of the comments. What surprised me was the idea that some of my cards should be more mass produced! My impression for the last twenty-five years is that they make too much of everything! Indeed, my idea of making just four cards a year and very publicly auctioning them (while spacing them out, at that) was my attempt at finding a reliable antidote to the problem that people could count on. In any event, I can't imagine doing much in the way of increased production. Certainly, in fact, for any series that I've made thus far. I think that it would disappoint the winning bidders of the "originals".

Thanks again for all your considered opinions, Charles from Helmar Brewing
Charles, it's the nature of the internet to bash everything that you don't personally collect. If you read some of the other threads, you'll find that E97 collectors bash T206 collectors, pre-war memorabilia collectors bash modern game-used collectors, everyone bashes the Cowboys and the Yankees, old established members bash newbies, etc., etc..

Thanks for the explanation - makes perfect sense to keep putting them out slowly, and the baseball artwork is probably the best I've seen anywhere. Still, not paying those prices.