NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default I got to see Honus!

Posted By: Rob

I live in New England, and went down to Dallas this past weekend for the Pats-Cowboys game. I hate the patriots more than any other sports team, but they won

Anyway, while down there I also went to the Texas state fair, and they had the "baseball as america" exhibit set up. I had no idea that it was at the fair, or what it was, or what was inside, but for a buck I figured i'd see what they had. Great bunch of memorabilia! The highlight was seeing the t206 honus wagner. Pretty nice eye appeal even with the pinhole above his head. I tried to see what kind of back it had, but it was tough to see cuz it was angled up from the back of the display case. I think it was a Sweet Caporal though cuz I could see a little of the border. Was certainly worth the $1!!

Rob

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070926&content_id=5128&vkey=hof_news>

edited to add my name!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

It was at the National back in 95(?-St. Louis). SportCardsPlus had one on display. I had purchased some cards from them via the mail (way before internet) and the guy I was talking to said he recognized me by name. Told him that was the first time I had ever seen a real t206 Wagner. Said he could do one better, got a key, unlocked the case and handed it to me! I was caught a little off guard... the price of the card was equal to what my wife and I had borrowed to buy a house about six years earlier. Held it for about half a minute, thanked him then went and had one of those moments where you just kind of shake all over, thinking about what you just saw/held. It was actually more creepy than fun. Guess I was just thinking of all the things that could have gone wrong while I was holding it.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Gogol

I saw the exhibit two summer's ago when it was at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit (Dearborn, MI). It is a sweet caporal back and does have nice eye appeal. An even better experience was at the Cleveland National, the one a few years back, when one of the big auction houses (Mastro?), had what they billed as the "Wagner reunion." A bunch, about 10 including the Gretzky PSA8, were at the show in one show case. The PSA 8 was in a separate case with an armed guard. But I too got to hold a real nice one, and was overjoyed with the experience.

Great stories, and thanks for sharing!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

that's funny, I was also there Sat. around 2:00. I was trying to figure out a way to break the glass case and steal the card.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

How can this exhibit tout the Doubleday baseball when there is no such thing as a Doubleday baseball? I wonder what their explanation is if someone asks.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I saw the Gretzky PSA 8 Wagner a few years back at the Cleveland National also.

It seems like I also saw a Wagner in Cooperstown.. top floor, card collection.  Am i imagining this one? It has been too long since I visited Cooperstown..

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Barry Halper donated a Wagner to the Hall of Fame.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Barry history has proven its not technically the Doubleday baseball but thats the actual name of the ball and i dont think you would change that for history sake due to confusion. I think the story to go along with it proves that its not actually attributed to him. We could just name it a wierd symbol and call it the ball formally known as the Doubleday baseball i guess

Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Again, I apologize if my memory is suspect but when I visited the Hall some 10 plus years ago and saw the Doubleday baseball. I remember reading a caption under the ball that said, "This ball was found in the trunk of an old car that Abner Doubleday once owned." Perhaps I am remembering the caption wrong or prehaps the tale of the ball is as fabricated as the tale of Abner Doubleday and baseball..

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I dont think it said a "car" he owned. It mightve said trunk in a barn or attic of a house.That sounds more like the story ive heard and read at the hall of fame