NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default Best way to take picture of slabbed card?

Posted By: Joe_G.

This has been discussed before, but the discussion usually shifts to scans as opposed to straight up digital pictures. I'm trying to take some good pictures of my SGC graded cards but have the following issues:

1) My light source, camera, or both reflect off the slab. I've seen nice pics of slabbed cards that don't even show the light reflections around the outside edges. I can position the camera to the side to eliminate the camera reflection but then the card and holder are skewed.

2) My T206 white borders look more like T206 tan borders. My pictures lose the clean white look some of my cards possess.

I firmly believe my issues stem from the user (me) and not the camera as it's a fairly new high end piece. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 09-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Your best bet would be to get a scanner and place a dark piece of paper behind the card. I like to use poster board. It is thicker stock and you can pick the color.

You can buy a good scanner for $100-$150.

Cy

Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

When using a digital camera I had my best quality having all the lighting I needed coming in from the left and right sides and don't use your flash. For best results, shoot during the day using sun light. Again, no flash. Yes, it limits your shooting time but it works.

Scanners: A better option but try to test the scanner first. Not all scanners scan cards in the holders well. I bought a nice scanner (read: kinda expensive) about 2 years ago that scans photos great but cards in holders come out pretty blurry.

Believe it or not I use my 8 year old Agfa Arcus II scanner which is huge, loud, and kinda slow but scans cards in holders perfectly. Go figure.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

So scanners are preferred over a digital camera?

Usually the scanner will give you a giant picture if you scan high resolution. Do you then just simply resize with a photo editor?

Thanks,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I have a friend who uses a digital camera and gets AMAZING results but he is a proferssional photographer and his camera set him back $18K. So for the rest of us I do suggest a scanner over digital cameras but there are some good low(er) cost cameras that should work with a little practice.

When I scan my cards, I scan at 300dpi at 100%. I then use photo software to resample and/or resize the image for use.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My old Umax scanner with a SCSI conenction scanned slabs great. My new, expensive scanner sucks scanning slabs. I set the scanner at 150dpi. That is more than adequate for posting on the net and no need to resize.

Jay

I saw wierd stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

What you are attempting is known as a copy shot. The standard lighting for this is 1 light on each side, at 45 degrees to the subject. As the slab is very reflective take the zoom to the longest focal length (more telephoto, getting you physically further from the slab) you can. If you are still getting a reflection of the camera (don't use an on camera flash) use a black matte board and cut the smallest possible hole the lens will fit thru, and shoot it.
If you don't have external lights (these can be as simple as two desklamps, assuming they give enough light that you don't need a long shutter speed that would cause camera shake) put the slab in indirect light, the shady side of a building.
The tan borders are a result of lack of contrast. If you have photoshop kick the contrast up a bit, or do the same in whatever photoediting program you have. Try not to over do it as you'll get that phony screaming white border look that a few auction houses have embraced.
I get much better results shooting copy shots of cards than I do scanning, but like Pete's friend it's what I do 12 hours a day. Even with minimal equipment you should be able to get similar results to an inexpensive scanner, with a much higher rate of production.
E me off list if this is too techno geeky, or you want more detailed info.