NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Clemens, in his last four seasons in Boston when he should have been in his absolute prime (age 30-33), went 40-39 with a god awful ERA. This wasn't just a guy who had an off year. He had completely lost his dominance. I don't think you will find many Red Sox fans who believe his remarkable turnaround from that point is due to anything except PEDs.
I think the argument would be that he had 3 Cy Youngs, a 2nd and 3rd and a MVP Award before he started doping in Toronto. Even though he only had 192 wins, he had an ERA+ of 144 and a WAR of 81. That is much better than Bonds who only had 2 MVPs, 176 HRs and a WAR of 50 prior to doping in SF.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I think the argument would be that he had 3 Cy Youngs, a 2nd and 3rd and a MVP Award before he started doping in Toronto. Even though he only had 192 wins, he had an ERA+ of 144 and a WAR of 81. That is much better than Bonds who only had 2 MVPs, 176 HRs and a WAR of 50 prior to doping in SF.
What year are you assuming Bonds started?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Jeff

That's precisely the thing Peter, we don't.
They forfeited all favorable conjecture IMO as well.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That's precisely the thing Peter, we don't.
They forfeited all favorable conjecture IMO as well.
+1
The argument that they'd be HOFers regardless is based purely on speculation, since nobody knows when they began using. Seems steroids became rampant in the 80s with McGwire but everyone seems to assume Bonds and Clemens began in mid- to-late 90s?

And as to the comment about these players never admitting they used, that's exactly what McGwire did when he began coaching. So since he was mentioned in the OP, no, I don't think he should ever get in. Without power he was below average in almost every facet of the game, and his power stats are tarnished.

To the original question about the impact the new committee will have though, I unfortunately believe the new system was developed specifically to admit players from the PED era. It's no coincidence the dividing line for the modern players starts at 1988, nor that Big Mac was included on the first ballot under the new system.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Bonds' girlfriend who ratted him out says he started using in response to the McGwire/Sosa season which was 1998. And I agree, up to that point the only player who might have had an argument that he was better was Griffey, and I think Bonds wins that argument. But, according to the GF, he was jealous of all the media attention on the home runs, and figured with the same PEDs he could do the same or better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-26-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
And it should have been 4 Cy Youngs. 1990 he was 21-6 1.93, and they give it to Bob Welch whose ERA was as I recall a full run higher.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Ok, I saw a show with Willie McCovey on it & he doesn"t back B.BONDS like W.MAYS does, say ,"he has never seen a drug/pill make a Baseball player?" I don"t care if your Superman or the Hulk,if you cant play or even hit the ball,how good can you be?Here is the fact in this sport, your a real good player if you fail 70% of the time?So if so easy to do?WHY are you or me not playing MLB baseball & you can put those great {NOT} HOFer voters on this LONGGGG list, also in the HOF?It"s a sport,these guys give up there bodys to play these sports?HOW many steroids & drugs are in our food ,right now? Do you think a turkey can reach 25 to 30 pounds in just under a years time?PLEASE,Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 12-31-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Ok, I saw a show with Willie McCovey on it & he doesn"t back B.BONDS like W.MAYS does, say ,"he has never seen a drug/pill make a Baseball player?" I don"t care if your Superman or the Hulk,if you cant play or even hit the ball,how good can you be?Here is the fact in this sport, your a real good player if you fail 70% of the time?So if so easy to do?WHY are you or me not playing MLB baseball & you can put those great {NOT} HOFer voters on this LONGGGG list, also in the HOF?It"s a sport,these guys give up there bodys to play these sports?HOW many steroids & drugs are in our food ,right now? Do you think a turkey can reach 25 to 30 pounds in just under a years time?PLEASE,Robert.
Your turkey info is way off. We have a turkey facility here and it is 75 days give or take 2 or 3 from hatch to a 15 lb turkey in the bag ready to cook. That # blew my mind.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
just because you and Mr Mays are bad at science doesn't mean the rest of us are. It is a scientific fact that PED's improve performance due to their ability to increase recovery rates.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:19 PM
John Hanssen

I'm on Bonds side - go ahead and say what you want!!!!!!!
I watched him as a rookie and early years in Pittsburgh and I could always see him as a great player. On the personal side he's a GOOD father nothing to do with baseball but means something to me. I enjoyed many, many games he played and saw greatness. Ego and Following Willy Mays example never did a thing for him or with the press. But the press can keep their words and stories some where up their *#%s (I'm tied of them thinking we should agree with that dribbling.) He played the game at profound levels just when we the people needed it. (((( and we sucked it up)))) we all watched every minute.
He needs and has a place in the hall!

Go ahead and rip me but I'd vote for him...
My names John Hannsen and I willing to say what is Un - politically correct.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Ok,Nick, so your science is better than ours,so you MUST know WHO used & WHEN they use & when is YOUR book coming out on these facts, so I can buy it? Don"t need dume HOF voters,we have you?When did you play in the MLB & when are you going into the HOF,if your science says it"s so easy?Yes the PEDS sure did help his eye sight,when he is walking 200+ times a year & 1 time with the bases loaded,now that"s something you don"t see every year!The Turkey thing I may have been off on,but you guys get my point! But, Bill I did said 25 to 30 pounds,but maybe I should have said 20 to 25 pounds?15 pounds ,would be a good turkey in the wild & yes I do know your talking about farms?Like I said the HOF voting is a joke?Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 12-31-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Ok,Nick, so your science is better than ours,so you MUST know WHO used & WHEN they use & when is YOUR book coming out on these facts, so I can buy it? Don"t need dume HOF voters,we have you?When did you play in the MLB & when are you going into the HOF,if your science says it"s so easy?Yes the PEDS sure did help his eye sight,when he is walking 200+ times a year & 1 time with the bases loaded,now that"s something you don"t see every year!The Turkey thing I may have been off on,but you guys get my point! But, Bill I did said 25 to 30 pounds,but maybe I should have said 20 to 25 pounds?15 pounds ,would be a good turkey in the wild & yes I do know your talking about farms?Like I said the HOF voting is a joke?Robert.
appeal to ignorance logical fallacy....

and yes, of the HOF eligible types I can say pretty confidently who did or didn't use long term (no way to tell if someone dabbled) nobody has a better or equal peak in their career after age 32 as they did between ages 24-38, never in the history of baseball had that occurred...... until the mid 90's. so either you think that 20+ people magically all broke statistical precedent at exactly the same time, or the is causation in the correlation.