NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Brandon Brown

Default Good News for Many of You!

Just a note to let everyone know that I am officially giving up the vintage card hobby. Ive gotten tired of all the wealthy "inverstor" collectors bitching. Obviously this isnt a "little man's" hobby anymore. People have become so focused on the art of the deal, that they no longer take into consideration that there are more important things out there than expensive pieces of cardboard. When things come up for people in the real world, and they have to choose between helping family, or they have situations come up that are beyond their control, most poeple would put those things in the forefront of their attention.
Yes, I admit, I have gotten myself into situations that were avoidable, and I am sorry that I inconvenienced people in that manner. HOWEVER, when situations have arisen that I explain to individuals are temporary, I still get the same flack. As ot seems like I am repeatedly finding myself in these financial binds, I am no longer going to be a part of the hobby in any capacity. The vast majority of personalities Ive seen lately concern me as to where the future of the hobby may be headed. I just dont have the patience or the "business sense" to handle it anymore.
As I said, MANY of you will be celebrating this decision, and I am happy for you. As for the several decent, well meaning people Ive come to consider friends, good luck, and I hope your collections flourish. As for me, I am just too small of a fish in too big of a pond. I know I wont be missed by many (if any) but I just had to post this before I ride off into the sunset. Please proceed to flame at will.

Brandon Brown
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I wish you the best, but I completely disagree with your point. I don't understand how anyone could let "big-fish" bother them. Just keep collecting and growing your collection and don't worry about everyone else. My collection is nothing compared to certain people, but I just enjoy it. And if someone is trying to pull a fast one on a deal, I'll ignore them.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Rob Miller

I have no clue what you are talking about, but I am a "small fish" too and don't let anyone else bother my collecting.

Last edited by Robextend; 10-14-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Brandon Brown

Hey Guys,
before we go to far here, I am actually commenting more on the fact that I dont have the resources to be reliable enough to make the deals I want, and I am getting frustrated and tired of making enemies in a hobby that has become more about the money and "look at what I can afford" than the enjoyable hobby it should be. Its just not my bag, baby!!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Tom Boblitt

Good luck......it's good you realized that sooner than later! Lots of people have gotten themselves too deep and found it hard to get out and get away.....you can't change the economics of the market. You can change what you collect or choose not to collect....that's within your power.......
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Johnny S

Happy trails! You can always come back never a shortage of cards for sale.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM

I have no idea of the background details that are motivating this, but from an outside observer's perspective on your note, it sounds like you are trying to rationalize and place blame on others or on the nature of the hobby to feel better about your lack of personal responsibility in recent deals. In other words, did you not follow through with commitments you made and now people are calling you out on it so you are pissed? Are you now just rationalizing that they and the hobby are too focussed on money to appease your own guilt? Sounds self-serving. I could be entirely wrong and I apologize if I am. If there is a grain of truth and you want to leave the hobby anyway, why not just graciously exit quietly rather than make generalized digs at the rest of us.

The reality is that the cardboard we collect has monetary value and nobody likes being ripped off whether it is for $2 or $2000.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 10-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I wish you the best, but I completely disagree with your point. I don't understand how anyone could let "big-fish" bother them. Just keep collecting and growing your collection and don't worry about everyone else. My collection is nothing compared to certain people, but I just enjoy it. And if someone is trying to pull a fast one on a deal, I'll ignore them.
+1

I look at the hobby as one of many of my interests and try not to get over saturated. I quite honestly don't care about the big fish in the hobby. Give me a PSA 3 or 4 or SGC vintage card at a good price and I am happy. Heck I like graded cards with qualifiers on them. Take some time off and enjoy life!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

If you are making deals and then paying late or not at all, that sounds like an issue with your own life and has nothing to do with the hobby. Their are big fish in all parts of life and they only affect you if you let them. Collect what you want within your budget and you will enjoy a great hobby.

Sounds like you might need some time off from the hobby in any case.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Jeff

You'll never have the worst collection, you'll never have the best collection, we all fall somewhere in the middle. Trying to achieve a collection above your income level is foolish and will lead to financial ruin and lost friendships over broken deals. Sounds like you need to diversify. Instead of just buying cards, sell some too. I have a few things I like to do when my $ is tight: sell a card to buy a card, keeps me in the "action". I also look for groups of cards to buy, keep one, sell the rest. If I make a little bit of $ on the deal I put the profit towards new cards. Heck, I'll sell cards in my driveway if the weather's nice!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 10-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
You'll never have the worst collection, you'll never have the best collection, we all fall somewhere in the middle. Trying to achieve a collection above your income level is foolish and will lead to financial ruin and lost friendships over broken deals. Sounds like you need to diversify. Instead of just buying cards, sell some too. I have a few things I like to do when my $ is tight: sell a card to buy a card, keeps me in the "action". I also look for groups of cards to buy, keep one, sell the rest. If I make a little bit of $ on the deal I put the profit towards new cards. Heck, I'll sell cards in my driveway if the weather's nice!
Nice comment, you are right on for Brandon
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
Nice comment, you are right on for Brandon
Thanks! It sounds like Brandon would like to continue collecting, but needs a reality check. When reality sinks in, I'm sure he'll have a collection he's happy with. So, diversify! Buy, sell, trade, flip, whatever is fun for you. To only buy, buy, buy, buy doesn't work. Trust me!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default Good news for many

Brandon, I have known you for years, I know what you are talking about,sometime you have to back out of a deal to help your family or a friend who needs help, that can bother some people, what is more important then helping family, if they don't understand the hell with them, I hope you will still consider calling me sometime. You do great work in helping others, you are a very caring youg man. You do more from a wheelchair my friend than many standing. Don't quite you passion for cards, focus on 1 group, or set, and enjoy your ride. Don't let people beat you down.

It is a pleasure to call you a friend.