NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T3 grading

I haven't concentrated on getting a T3, but am now window shopping for just the right one. Has anyone else noticed the leniency on their grading, by all 3 big grading companies? I understand they are larger and have more condition issues than regular cards but I am seeing characteristics of much lower graded cards, from other series, on those T3s which are of a higher grade. I think I might have even seen pinholes on a 3!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Matt Wieder

When I was in the market for a Lajoie, before I picked mine up, I noticed a number of 3s and 4s that had heavy staining and other condition issues not typical of what I'd expect. I chalked it up to imagining what a small stain on a T206 would look like blown up 30 times its size.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have been working on a graded set for just over 5 years and yes I have seen strange things inside holders. As far as Pin holes the highest I have seen is a with SGC in a 20 holder. Beckett slabbed a card with color added. PSA has slabbed T3's with paperloss as a 3 when they are just death on other cards as far a speck of paperloss grading a 1. Also, as far as paper goes, paper loss I havent seen on SGC but would think it would garner at most a 1.5. Paper 'stuck' however I have seen in PSA holders up to a 3.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Leon, my experience is....

As a collector of T3's in SGC only I can tell you that I agree 100% with the previous post. Pinholes will NEVER garner more than a 20 and any back damage (paper loss, glue, scrapes or writing) no more than a 30. I have 40's with light creases (nothing thru both sides, back or front only). Corners or borders can have chips or small missing pieces up to a 40 and rounded corners up to a 60. Stains can get you between 20 and 40. As far a PSA, as usual, horribly overgraded. Any PSA will usually get a 1-2 lower level grade from SGC. My experience is SGC grades VERY tough on T3's, but that's why I like them, they are more accurate than the othe TPGs.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Default my crossovers

"Any PSA will usually get a 1-2 lower level grade from SGC"

I sent 3 SGC graded T3's and they came back evidence of trimming from my from PSA. Not saying they were/are trimmed but that was their opinion. Others might have gone from SGC 1.5 to PSA 1 simply because of the pin holes. Another was SGC 3 and went to a PSA 2.5. I have never had a T3 go up 2 grades from PSA. I am sure there are cases for everything and you scour more SGC T3's than I do, but I wouldn't say "usually". In fact, probably the only statement that could be made is for the opposite: every SGC 1.5 with a pin hole will go down to a PSA 1. I do have three more in for crossover, that I can elaborate on in a few days

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Tony Quinn

"Usually" probably is an overstatement after thinking about it, but I have had it happen. I really don't like PSA and sometimes get a bit overzealous in my bashing of them. My bad.

Last edited by quinnsryche; 10-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Leon

I bought a Downey batting with that gorgeous pic of the pack on the back---
and it had a couple of scuffs on the frame with a flawless pic of Downey.
It's my one T3 type and i love it, alongside the actual pack.
The T3 frame deserves a FR; the Downey himself deserves a 6 at least---
the card received the dreaded 20.

best,
barry