NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Default OT-Jim Gentile ties Maris for RBI crown...49 years later!

I love baseball history and researchers and a SABR member just confirmed this story...Jim Gentile sounds like a great guy too.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/29/o.../?ncid=webmail

Joshua
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Bruce Babcock

Great story!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Jim D

I agree, i hope the Orioles do something to honor him... gotta love nostalgia.

Now if MLB would only overturn a bad ump decision and give a guy a no hitter, they'd be doing something.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you for posting that. And I hope they do give him a Day and 5 large.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Thanks for posting

Thanks Joshua for posting the story. When I was a kid my second favorite player, behind Mantle, was Gentile. He could really hit the ball.

Best wishes,

Joe
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

Whenever I see that name, I think of how hard it was for me to find his 61 hi number. It was one of the last cards needed to complete the 1961 set. Cool story
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Thanks for sharing the Gentile story

Hooray for Jim Gentile, and the attention it is bringing him. I love Maris, but Jim deserves the RBI honor. I am also glad this was discovered while he was still alive and can enjoy the news, etc. That idea of the Orioles giving Jim the 5K bonus belatedly is a great idea. It would bring the Orioles organization a lot of kudos and admiration for such a gesture, particularly having Lee MacPhail's relative present the check to Jim, while giving him a "day" at an Orioles home game. Lots of extra fans would come to the game just to see them do it.

Though I have no stat book in front of me, Jim Gentile did have one spectacular 1961 season. If you check, I think you will find his runs batted in was accomplished on relatively few hits. Now, in 1961 Jim tied Ernie Banks' then major league record of 5 grand slam home runs. Thus, he created 20 of those runs with only five at-bats. Regardless, every player has potentially the same opportunity, but Jim Gentile drove in 142 runs on just a few more hits. Amazing. Plus, he still hit .302.

As for baseball cards, my first year collecting was 1961. It was a dark rainy late summer night, and I accompanied my Dad to Wahlgreen's in Skokie, Illinois where we lived. I got one pack of Topps cards. Lo and behold, one of the five was Jim Gentile. The main reason I remember is that was the ONLY pack of '61 high numbers I ever got. For whatever reason, I was not able to make it back to the Wahlgreen's, which was not in walking distance for me as a 7-year-old. The Gentile card was, of course, off-center some, but I still have it. A terrific-looking card, if I may say so.

My favorite memory of Jim Gentile baseball cards came the following year. Post Cereal was having its largest baseball card promotion in 1962, and I was an ardent collector of them. There was a Post Cereal TV commercial with Jim Gentile and his two sons. Father and sons were having a little game of baseball, and Jim hit one to his son, who was pitching, and was thrown out at first, where his other son was playing. Dad Gentile was being a good sport about it, then he began talking to us kids at home about these great Post Cereal baseball cards. The camera displayed images of several cards, particularly Gentile. Naturally, after seeing the cool commercial, I made sure to pick out a Post box with Gentile on the back. I knew I probably would not complete that 200-card set, which was true, but you best be sure I was going to get a Gentile Post Cereal card.

It is fascinating how some things you saw on TV as a kid leave such an impression upon you, they come back to mind after 49 years. I guess the story about Jim finally "winning" the 1961 AL RBI crown got me reflecting.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-04-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Default Update!

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/06/j...ore-orioles%2F

Great thing that happened to him today!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 AM

What a terrific story to read early this morning.

Frank
Old 08-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Pup6913

good for him
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 AM

Two great stories -- the one from MLB Fanhouse, and the one describing your childhood memories Brian!

Greg
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/06/j...ore-orioles%2F

Great thing that happened to him today!
Nice update Josh!

I should point out though, that, with compound interest at roughly 5%, they actually owe him closer to $35,000.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-08-2010 at 07:55 AM.