NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2023, 04:10 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Default Vintage "base ball" lingo

Forgive me, Leon, if this isn't appropriate here since it's not about collecting, per se, but it does involve old-time ball -- and I think we're all aficionados of that!

Much of the language used in the early days of the sport (let's say late 19th century and early 20th century) differs from that of today -- especially words used in contemporary newspaper reporting. For instance, it was always "base ball," as in two words. (Does anyone know when that changed universally?)

My question: What words used then, and not used now, strike you as most interesting, curious, amusing or even would like to see used again today? My favorites are:

-- Cranks (the word generally used for fans)
-- Magnates (the word usually used for team owners)

As an aside, I'm really glad Perfectos didn't stick as the nickname for the St. Louis NL club!

Mike
Old 06-19-2023, 06:52 PM
John

"Soaking" the runner always was an interesting term around in the very early days of the game. Hey if you can't tag the runner, why not throw at his body. Imagine if that happened today.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:04 PM
Eric Perry

• Twirler
  • Striker
  • Keystone Sack

There are others, such as "fair/foul hitting" that wouldn't fit today's game.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-19-2023, 08:52 PM
Michael G0nz@lez

“First division” and “second division” recall a time when there were only 8 teams per league and the top 4 teams in each league got a share of the World Series gate receipts. For most players, a Series winner’s or loser’s share could be a substantial part of their overall earnings, and even for 2/3/4 place, it would be a nice bonus. One team might run away with the pennant, but there was still some money at stake for the others. After divisional play started in 1969, the terms mostly faded into irrelevance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_division_(baseball)

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

The goat wasn't the greatest of all time but rather the guy who messed up and cost his team the game. Especially if the mistake was really bad and the game was important.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:27 PM
Chris Porter

Not so much lingo as just part of the game were nicknames associated with players based on their upbringing, heritage or ethnicity. "Chief", "Heinie" and "Rube" come to mind immediately, none of which have really survived into the modern era !
Old 06-21-2023, 06:10 AM
Bruce Esser

Yannigan for a scrub trying out for a team
Wagon tongue for a bat
bender for a curve ball
Jupiter pluvias for rain. "Jupiter pluvias prevented the cranks from going to the diamond today"

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/

Last edited by tachyonbb; 06-27-2023 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:27 AM
Eric

"EE-YAH"- expression of excitement

-Hughie Jennings
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 06-21-2023, 08:18 AM

My favorite is salary wing, for the arm a pitcher threw with. That was popular for a time

A close second that was extremely popular back in the day was bingle. I always thought it was the original form of the word single, but the more I read, the more I saw it used for just the word hit in general, didn't have to be a single. A guy could have four bingles and hit for the cycle
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-21-2023, 08:53 AM

Default my favorite old time expresssion is

the use of the word "Malarial" as a nickname to describe a player having a "hot streak." For example, I have a cabinet card of Sam Thompson identified only by the name "Thompson" written on the front and "Malarial Thompson" written on the back. I bought it from Terry Knouse some years ago who found it in a collection of Player's League cabinets. It is a unique pose and Terry asked me if my great uncle ever had a nickname. At the time neither of us could decipher the name, as it was written in nearly illegible cursive script. In fact, I did not think it was Sam Thompson at all, since he is posed in a fancy suit unlike any of the family cabinets I have, and I was suspicious of the Philadelphia Photo Studio.

I did some research and came to the conclusion that the card almost certainly was commissioned by the Philadelphia Player's League entry and was identified for their files only as "Malarial Thompson" Sounds strange for sure, but what other explanation is there? Digging deeper, I have found several contemporary newspaper articles (both Chicago and Detroit) wherein Thompson is accused of having "malaria," and I can cite other players as well.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:39 AM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default lingo

Ping Bodie would use newspaper cliches in interviews. He would say things like,
I rammny-caked the old spheroid."

The press also referred to the owners as the "moguls."

lumberjack
Old 06-21-2023, 11:25 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The goat wasn't the greatest of all time but rather the guy who messed up and cost his team the game. Especially if the mistake was really bad and the game was important.
Another option here: boner.

I suppose if you want to get technical, a boner is an action.

Most famously used to refer to my man Merkle. But for his boner, the Cubs would likely not have won in 1908, which would have further elongated their streak.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 06-21-2023, 01:40 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Scrappy, like Willie Keeler.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:31 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Maybe not vintage lingo but how about current lingo that started with “base ball” era rules?

“The batter hit that one right back through the box…”

Not many people understand where that expression comes from (though many here probably do!)

Before the pitcher had to pitch from the rubber, they actually had a 1 square foot box that they had to release the ball from…. Hence, a ball hit sharply past the pitcher on the mound, goes “through the box”

Here is a bonus to that - ever wonder why the mound if 60 feet six inches from the plate? The original pitchers box was 60 feet to the front and 61 feet to the back of the box - when the box was changed to a rubber, they simply split the difference and placed it in the middle of where the box was… 60 feet, 6 inches.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:42 PM

Not necessarily lingo, but there are so many players named (or, typically, nicknamed) Rube during pre-War baseball. Not many, if any, after.

1968 Topps All PSA 8 Set 108/598

Successful transactions with over 35 Net54 members.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:43 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Maybe not vintage lingo but how about current lingo that started with “base ball” era rules?

“The batter hit that one right back through the box…”

Not many people understand where that expression comes from (though many here probably do!)

Before the pitcher had to pitch from the rubber, they actually had a 1 square foot box that they had to release the ball from…. Hence, a ball hit sharply past the pitcher on the mound, goes “through the box”

Here is a bonus to that - ever wonder why the mound if 60 feet six inches from the plate? The original pitchers box was 60 feet to the front and 61 feet to the back of the box - when the box was changed to a rubber, they simply split the difference and placed it in the middle of where the box was… 60 feet, 6 inches.
And another bonus, Amos Rusie is credited with causing them to move the mound back.
From Wiki
"In 1897, one of his fastballs struck future Hall of Fame shortstop Hughie Jennings in the head, rendering him comatose for four days before recovery. Rusie's wildness had been a catalyst for officials to change the distance from the pitching rubber (the back line of the pitching box at the time) to home plate from 55 feet 6 inches (16.92 m) to the current 60 feet 6 inches (18.44 m). This ruling was made effective for the 1893 season, at the peak of Amos Rusie's pitching prowess. The distance change did not reduce Rusie's effectiveness, as he led the league in strikeouts for three straight seasons afterward, while also winning what later would be known as the pitching triple crown in 1894. For his accomplishments, he was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1977 by the Veterans Committee. "

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-22-2023, 12:45 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I know for myself, the first few times I saw an mid 1800's scorecard (with these used) I was dumbfounded by HL's and HO's.

For those that have not seen this, Hands down, Hands out, and Hands lost were used for outs in an inning. You would see it abbreviated to HL or HO on scorecards, not sure if I have seen one with HD yet that I remember. I had to use the old search engine to figure those out once.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:35 PM

Default The coach of my high school baseball team

was also the Superintendent of the School who dressed in a suit, tie and hat for every game. In his youth he had been a pitcher for the Kansas City Blues, and occasionally in a local game when the opposing team was up, he would yell from our bench exhorting our pitcher to

"stick one in his ear"
Old 06-23-2023, 06:55 AM
Scott

1) Merkle’s Boner

2) Snodgrass’ Muff

3) “No Pepper Games Allowed”
Old 06-25-2023, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispycards View Post
Not so much lingo as just part of the game were nicknames associated with players based on their upbringing, heritage or ethnicity. "Chief", "Heinie" and "Rube" come to mind immediately, none of which have really survived into the modern era !
Not in today's world though they were innocent enough names in their times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benderpc2.jpg (194.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-25-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:14 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I once did some research on Charlie Bennett and used old newspapers from the end of the 19th century. There were so many funny phrases I ended up writing them down. Here's my list:

salary flipper = pitching arm
the Jungaleers = the Tigers
the garden = the outfield or
the outer garden vs. the inner garden (outfield vs. infield)
the second defense = the outfield
moundsmen
bush leagues
rooters = fans
the battery line = pitcher and catcher
battery work
the circuit = the league
dented the home plate = scored
sacks = bases
round = inning
home guard = home team
society of swat
stick = bat
two-ply killings = double play
no reverses = no defeats
two big tent aggregations = two teams
flail and horsehide = bat and ball
middle cushion = second base
safety = base hit
two cleans = two hits
the pill = the ball
twirler = pitcher
the great peanut race = pennant race
As the seasonal pleasantries draw to a close....
Old 06-26-2023, 12:23 PM
Ke.n K0hen

If you look at dead ball era schedules and publications, away games are termed "games abroad".
Old 06-26-2023, 12:37 PM
David McDonald

You can add "starboard garden" aka right field to your list, Scott. Over the years I have perused numerous old articles in the NY Times archives and elsewhere and have encountered many examples of wordsmithing that tickle the eyes. Unfortunately I didn't have the prescience to keep track of them. The old-time sportswriters had it all over the bland crap we read today. Didn't bring my '57 Topps cards to Yankee games to be autographed either back in the day but that's another story. The agony of twenty-twenty hindsight! As an aside the instructional league in the northwest and British Columbia has a new team, the Kamloops Northpaws. I thought that was sorta cool.
Attached Images
File Type: png logo.png (30.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-26-2023, 07:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
You can add "starboard garden" aka right field to your list, Scott. Over the years I have perused numerous old articles in the NY Times archives and elsewhere and have encountered many examples of wordsmithing that tickle the eyes. Unfortunately I didn't have the prescience to keep track of them. The old-time sportswriters had it all over the bland crap we read today. Didn't bring my '57 Topps cards to Yankee games to be autographed either back in the day but that's another story. The agony of twenty-twenty hindsight! As an aside the instructional league in the northwest and British Columbia has a new team, the Kamloops Northpaws. I thought that was sorta cool.
Wow! I visited Kamloops in the 80's while on the hunt for a Trophy King Salmon, never thought I'd see that name pop up in relation to baseball. Go Northpaws!

-
Old 06-26-2023, 08:23 PM
Eric Perry

"Daisy cutter" is the term old-timers used for what I called a "worm burner" as a youth.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2023, 08:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
"Daisy cutter" is the term old-timers used for what I called a "worm burner" as a youth.
"Daisy Cutter" as a term was first referenced in 1918 by Jack Wilkinson describing an attack on RAF at Bertangles. "A bomb that seemed to explode before it buried itself in the ground so that bits and pieces flew horizontally in all directions".

-
Old 06-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
"Daisy Cutter" as a term was first referenced in 1918 by Jack Wilkinson describing an attack on RAF at Bertangles. "A bomb that seemed to explode before it buried itself in the ground so that bits and pieces flew horizontally in all directions".
My understanding is that the term was 19th Century Base Ball lingo for a hard hit ground ball that skimmed along the ground.

It's not terribly surprising to learn the term was also used to describe other things, though.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2023, 09:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A "can of corn" was an easy out via pop-up.

A "worm pounder" was a sharply hit grounder.

And a "bingle" was a base hit or a single, as evidenced by this early piece...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTTXnYviDT8&t=29s

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 06-26-2023, 09:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
My understanding is that the term was 19th Century Base Ball lingo for a hard hit ground ball that skimmed along the ground.

It's not terribly surprising to learn the term was also used to describe other things, though.
Its very plausible that the term originated on the ball field and was adopted by the military .

-
Old 06-28-2023, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 nice list....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I once did some research on Charlie Bennett and used old newspapers from the end of the 19th century. There were so many funny phrases I ended up writing them down. Here's my list:

salary flipper = pitching arm
the Jungaleers = the Tigers
the garden = the outfield or
the outer garden vs. the inner garden (outfield vs. infield)
the second defense = the outfield
moundsmen
bush leagues
rooters = fans
the battery line = pitcher and catcher
battery work
the circuit = the league
dented the home plate = scored
sacks = bases
round = inning
home guard = home team
society of swat
stick = bat
two-ply killings = double play
no reverses = no defeats
two big tent aggregations = two teams
flail and horsehide = bat and ball
middle cushion = second base
safety = base hit
two cleans = two hits
the pill = the ball
twirler = pitcher
the great peanut race = pennant race
As the seasonal pleasantries draw to a close....