NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2023, 09:18 AM
George E.

No one wants to chime in on this?

If I can pump this bad boy up to even just a dollar in the next ten years, that's a 100x increase. Get in on the ground floor y'all, this elevator is going to the moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
1988 Big Topps Ken Griffey.
Ken Jr.'s first Topps card (he looks a little pale).
I've been stockpiling them, but I think there may be enough for y'all to get some too, if you act now.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:22 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

What would be most helpful would be to know what sport will gain most in popularity. Maybe 10 years from now, there are 100 million new cricket card collectors in India, or lacrosse has become more popular than ice hockey in the U.S., or there's a surge in interest for Winter Olympic history.

Imagine the ROI you'd have if you had bought up NBA RCs in the mid-1980s. I can think of quite a few of those cards that have increased 1000x since then, but I don't think the same is true of any popular vintage baseball cards. I doubt there are any baseball cards that already cost more than $10 and will increase a thousandfold over the next century, let alone the next decade.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
I agree with every part of Leon's response. As for my opinion, I'm inclined that demand will continue to spike for modern international players like Ohtani. And maybe particularly Ohtani. If Ohtani continues to be mentioned annually for MVP consideration, and should he land on a decent team that enables him to compete for a World Series crown, I think his rookie cards including his autographed inserts will undergo even a more meteoric rise in value.
The Ohtani pick has to be the winner thus far I would imagine. Has much of anything else doubled since this thread was started?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauto5 View Post
Has much of anything else doubled since this thread was started?
Almost everything Honus Wagner has exploded. One simple example is the M116 pastel, which has doubled in less than a year and gone up 4x in two years. I bet you would see similar, if not better, results looking at e90-2, D322, E103, e106 and most e92(ish) variations, etc. I don’t know much about Ohtani. But I doubt the Wagner stuff will go down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1430.jpg (118.2 KB, 692 views)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Almost everything Honus Wagner has exploded. One simple example is the M116 pastel, which has doubled in less than a year and gone up 4x in two years. I bet you would see similar, if not better, results looking at e90-2, D322, E103, e106 and most e92(ish) variations, etc. I don’t know much about Ohtani. But I doubt the Wagner stuff will go down.
Great point Ryan. Wagner has went nuts this last year or so. Absolutely bonkers. I had his finest graded m101 Famous and Barr Psa 6 and his e92 Croft’s in a crease free psa 3 and let them go before all of this but just briefly. Hindsight is 20/20. I can say I’m still very happy with cards in my collection regardless. Happy collecting.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:00 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
As a point of reference on the D322, I picked up my SGC1 in Dec 2020 for $4k. The PSA A currently in REA is now at $20k+BP with 6 days to go.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-07-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Wow, certainly looks like a parabolic rise in Wagner stuff and yes it looks like the percentage rise beats what Ohtani stuff has done over the last year or so. I just read this whole thread, found it searching "Mantle Exhibit" on the forum as I'm currently interested in adding one to my collection. I didn't see anyone mention Wagner (other than the T206) on the thread but I may have missed it!

Old 08-07-2023, 12:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Well, not necessarily broad appeal but increased appeal; something has to make the demand go up.

I doubt it will be something esoteric like rare backs or ink spill variations. Zero chance it is some vintage ATG being re-evaluated by future collectors.

It could be something societal I suppose, akin to the recent rise of the Black pioneers resulting from the recognition of Jackie Robinson's accomplishments and the Negro Leagues as a whole. Maybe with Senga and Yoshida coming into the league, there will be a surge in interest in Japanese players and the 65T Murakami rookie will take off.
I think you could be right. Unlike the Negro Leagues, Japanese baseball has a long tradition of card production/collecting. There is enough of it out there to be able to reach the broader collecting community, and an argument could be made that the JPBL is just as deserving as the Negro League to be integrated into the MLB history books. Oh cards have skyrocketed the last few years, and it’s only matter of time before other JPBL greats follow suit. Throw a stud like Ohtani into the mix for exposure, and it makes a compelling case, IMO.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:41 PM
John

When I saw the title of this thread I wondered what we all would have said to this question in 2013.

My gut reaction is that in 10 years Pele and Messi cards might spike the most as trading cards could go more global, with a push from the US as more American investors look for the next big thing and recognize the global popularity of that sport and go for those guys. I singled out Pele and Messi because they're pretty much the only soccer players I can name, and that counts for something, kind of like how in the past decade Ruth has spiked dramatically as more people got into this hobby, especially during COVID, and then with bets on this being a safer investment than the market (or at least a good way to diversify your holdings).

If we limit this to baseball cards then, like many others have said, I feel all things Jackie Robinson should spike, with lots of room for growth on his Bond Breads, Leafs, Bowmans and his 1952 Topps. I think the latter will go up the most since "1952 Topps" has that association to the famed 1952 Mantle that T206 as a whole has to the T206 Wagner. Jackie's got a historical significance where he's well-known outside of baseball, too.

Then again (returning to my opening sentence) I started collecting vintage around 2010, took a break in 2015 when my first kid was born, relapsed for a bit in 2016, then took a break in 2017 when my second kid was born and came back to the hobby early last year. In 2013 I would have looked at the price of cards for pre-war HOFers and thought they were close to maxed out and it was time for Aaron, Mays, Robinson and Williams to go nuts. Instead it has been the old, top-tier HOFers who spiked the most. Ruth, Young, Johnson, Cobb, Wagner.

So I'll say in the end it's Boston-era Ruth cards, his Baltimore minor league cards (good luck finding or affording one) and stuff from Messi and Pele that was produced before COVID. I could be horribly wrong!
Old 08-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisianJohn View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I wondered what we all would have said to this question in 2013.

My gut reaction is that in 10 years Pele and Messi cards might spike the most as trading cards could go more global, with a push from the US as more American investors look for the next big thing and recognize the global popularity of that sport and go for those guys. I singled out Pele and Messi because they're pretty much the only soccer players I can name, and that counts for something, kind of like how in the past decade Ruth has spiked dramatically as more people got into this hobby, especially during COVID, and then with bets on this being a safer investment than the market (or at least a good way to diversify your holdings).

If we limit this to baseball cards then, like many others have said, I feel all things Jackie Robinson should spike, with lots of room for growth on his Bond Breads, Leafs, Bowmans and his 1952 Topps. I think the latter will go up the most since "1952 Topps" has that association to the famed 1952 Mantle that T206 as a whole has to the T206 Wagner. Jackie's got a historical significance where he's well-known outside of baseball, too.

Then again (returning to my opening sentence) I started collecting vintage around 2010, took a break in 2015 when my first kid was born, relapsed for a bit in 2016, then took a break in 2017 when my second kid was born and came back to the hobby early last year. In 2013 I would have looked at the price of cards for pre-war HOFers and thought they were close to maxed out and it was time for Aaron, Mays, Robinson and Williams to go nuts. Instead it has been the old, top-tier HOFers who spiked the most. Ruth, Young, Johnson, Cobb, Wagner.

So I'll say in the end it's Boston-era Ruth cards, his Baltimore minor league cards (good luck finding or affording one) and stuff from Messi and Pele that was produced before COVID. I could be horribly wrong!
Too late. Goldin sold a Pele card for $486,000 last year.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:56 PM
Ken McMillan

Anything Ruth
Old 08-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Agree, Wagner and variations of his portrait image in particular have rightfully skyrocketed in the past 1-2 years. A Tip Top sold at auction in Q4 '22 for $15K, and is now exceeding $20K+BP in REA. The significantly more scarce (4 graded copies) W-UNC card just sold via Huggins & Scott auction for $23K+ (nearly caught up with 52 Topps Mick Authentic): https://bid.hugginsandscott.com/bids...?itemid=220195
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230804-210850.jpg (53.9 KB, 692 views)

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 08-07-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:28 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Agree, Wagner and variations of his portrait image in particular have rightfully skyrocketed in the past 1-2 years. A Tip Top sold at auction in Q4 '22 for $15K, and is now exceeding $20K+BP in REA. The significantly more scarce (4 graded copies) W-UNC card just sold via Huggins & Scott auction for $23K+ (nearly caught up with 52 Topps Mick Authentic): https://bid.hugginsandscott.com/bids...?itemid=220195
Isn't this Wags from a notebook cover? Disclaimer: I'm pulling that out of the butt of my increasingly unreliable memory...
Old 08-08-2023, 10:29 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Isn't this Wags from a notebook cover? Disclaimer: I'm pulling that out of the butt of my increasingly unreliable memory...
Do you mean these notebook covers? https://bid.hugginsandscott.com/bids...?itemid=219360
Old 08-08-2023, 10:34 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Yes, it is from a notebook cover. Here is a link to the set description an Old Cardboard article that includes an image of an intact notebook.

https://oldcardboard.com/eNews/2017/...8/eNews158.htm
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Yes the W-UNC was from a notebook cover, considered a strip card with grading cos since hand cut from that.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:23 PM

I would think the strip card designation was a guess before the complete notebook was known, and is now maybe just an uncorrected designation. I don't know if there's another example of a card cut from a notebook that is designated as a strip card.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Jonathan Sterling

T206 Wagner will probably grow the most. Remember op did not say % but what card would grow the most. Wagner will be worth a few extra Million $ in 10 years. Wish I could take my own advice.

Last edited by bigfanNY; 08-08-2023 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:12 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Too late. Goldin sold a Pele card for $486,000 last year.
I wouldn't be surprised if $486K looks small in a few years.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Diana Taurasi is accumulating stats like few in any sport ever have. Last week she became the first WNBA player to score more than 10,000 points in a career. The next highest total is under 7500. That is Ruth/Gretzky type numbers. She is also very accessible to fans. It wasn’t long ago that virtually all WNBA players were fan friendly. This has changed over the last season or two, perhaps COVID-related. Stars like Breanna Stewart and Sabrina Ionescu will no longer sign autographs. A’ja Wilson is also a very reluctant signer.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Diana Taurasi is accumulating stats like few in any sport ever have. Last week she became the first WNBA player to score more than 10,000 points in a career. The next highest total is under 7500. That is Ruth/Gretzky type numbers. She is also very accessible to fans. It wasn’t long ago that virtually all WNBA players were fan friendly. This has changed over the last season or two, perhaps COVID-related. Stars like Breanna Stewart and Sabrina Ionescu will no longer sign autographs. A’ja Wilson is also a very reluctant signer.
41 and scoring 18 per game, how great is that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

AF15

Last edited by ChasingPaper; 08-08-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
T206 Wagner will probably grow the most. Remember op did not say % but what card would grow the most. Wagner will be worth a few extra Million $ in 10 years. Wish I could take my own advice.
Not to call you a liar, but I'm just gonna quote the OP you're referencing:
"Which card do you think will have the highest percentage increase in value over the next 10 years?"
Old 08-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree with Paul's now-deleted take on Taurasi: nope. Just because she is the Don Bradman of womens' basketball doesn't mean anyone cares or collects. Heck, I can't even get traction on Jack Dempsey or Joe Louis cards, and I'd bet that boxing is more popular than the WNBA.

Bradman, of course, is the Babe Ruth of cricket, and many of his prewar cards can sell for as much as tens of dollars each.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-08-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Look up what a PSA 9 Taurasi already goes for before you make analogies to cricket. Or Breanna.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-08-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:12 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bradman, of course, is the Babe Ruth of cricket, and many of his prewar cards can sell for as much as tens of dollars each.
Don't I know it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230808_190811.jpg (196.6 KB, 559 views)
Old 08-08-2023, 05:17 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Yes, it is from a notebook cover. Here is a link to the set description an Old Cardboard article that includes an image of an intact notebook.
Thanks, Richard, and others.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:26 PM
James M

I don't collect modern cards at all, but I think its unlikely there is a sport out there that people are not paying any attention to that will one day show massive price jumps. A few years ago, I think Formula 1 had a moment where a bunch of rarer stuff really skyrocketed in price. Tennis cards seem to have a very limited (and capped?) market. Cricket doesn't seem to have much collector appeal. Auto racing beyond F1? No. Lacrosse? no. Pickleball? god I hope not.

The only sport I can see making big gains is Footy, but even the popularity of that sport has only slowly increased in the US over the last 20 years. It seems to be gaining more steam, but the interesting thing about that timing is 2 of the greatest players to ever play the sport are just about at the end of their careers, and its tough to see what the next generation is going to look like.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Anyone man that collects WNBA cards, is either doing their best virtue signaling act or are kidding themselves. Dont get mad at me for saying it either. I just say what others are thinking, but too afraid to put out there.

AF15
Old 08-08-2023, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardandCrackerjacks View Post
Anyone man that collects WNBA cards, is either doing their best virtue signaling act or are kidding themselves. Dont get mad at me for saying it either. I just say what others are thinking, but too afraid to put out there.
LOL. You should watch some games sometime, especially playoffs. The quality of play might surprise you.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:44 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Ill take your word for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL. You should watch some games sometime, especially playoffs. The quality of play might surprise you.

AF15
Old 08-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I don't think I can choose one over a 10 year period, lots of things can happen in the market between now and then. And like others have said its might be a relatively obscure card now that will appreciate the most in that period.

That being said, I sold my 52 Jackie which is one of the most beautiful cards imo, to buy my 14CJ Cobb. Kind of a Sophies Choice but I think the Cobb will exceed Jackie value in years to come.
-
1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb cannot go wrong.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:56 PM
pete ullman

Dietsche fielding cobb
Old 08-08-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
dietsche fielding cobb
+1000
Old 08-08-2023, 09:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall1963 View Post
1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb cannot go wrong.
They don't even come up anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-08-2023, 09:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

PSA 10 COLLEGE card of Taurasi, talk about a card lower than a cricket card and worthy of the junk bins, just sold on ebay at auction for over 1300. Musta been some chicks bidding it up or wimpy men. No self respecting guy could have bought that, could he?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-08-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
I don't collect modern cards at all, but I think its unlikely there is a sport out there that people are not paying any attention to that will one day show massive price jumps. A few years ago, I think Formula 1 had a moment where a bunch of rarer stuff really skyrocketed in price. Tennis cards seem to have a very limited (and capped?) market. Cricket doesn't seem to have much collector appeal. Auto racing beyond F1? No. Lacrosse? no. Pickleball? god I hope not.

The only sport I can see making big gains is Footy, but even the popularity of that sport has only slowly increased in the US over the last 20 years. It seems to be gaining more steam, but the interesting thing about that timing is 2 of the greatest players to ever play the sport are just about at the end of their careers, and its tough to see what the next generation is going to look like.
Haaland. Mbappe. Footy is in good hands with these dudes methinks.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Adam—I don’t think your comparisons are appropriate. Bradman is a cricket player, a sport only slightly less popular than tiddlywinks in this country. Also, Brits have been active card collectors for over a century and there is no short supply of cricket cards, most in very nice condition. As for boxing, I know you love the sport, but it is no longer a popular sport in this country. In contrast, womans sports in general are on a upswing in popularity. How many boxers have you seen on television commercials lately? I don’t even think I have seen George Foreman in a while. It seems like every day I see Candace Parker, Arike Ogunbowale, or Sabrina Ionescu in some commercial or other. In fact, there are probably more woman basketball players in commercials than there are baseball players.
Let’s revisit this in five years and see who was right.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:48 PM
Matthew Glidden

On the prewar front, a scarce variation or "new" SP ferreted out by close examination of population reports and images. Tobacco card scholars seem to pull this rabbit out of a hat every few years.

For mid-20th century, HOF Negro Leaguers should see their significant cards move up as they become better appreciated by collectors expanding beyond modern. I'd buy those guys in nice condition over Jackie, given an opportunity, since you'll always be able to find a Robinson online.

For modern, low-pop RCs of young guys with good-to-great performance over the past few years who peak even higher by 2026. Vlad Jr.? Rafael Devers? Bo Bichette? Gunnar Henderson?

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:40 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Dietsche fielding cobb
I am biased but this is definitely way up there.

I would also throw in the Felix Mendelsohn Ruth. It has the makings of an all-time card; low pop, early years Ruth, and a stunning image.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-09-2023, 09:25 AM

I guess some people might consider this card a novelty. I consider it a great card:

Last edited by packs; 08-09-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:35 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I pick up every Glenn Burke I find in a common pile. I still think someone may make a major movie about him. I also had a friend who used to run with him back in the day.

https://youtu.be/l2MoXND64Zw
Old 08-09-2023, 02:01 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Cobb, Ruth, Mantle, Mays

I think Wagner maybe is a little too niche compared to these guys.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 08-09-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Not to call you a liar, but I'm just gonna quote the OP you're referencing:
"Which card do you think will have the highest percentage increase in value over the next 10 years?"
I am not saying you lied by omission but the Title of the post says "What single card do you think will increase in Value the most in 10 years" I agree he asked 2 seperate questions. I answered the first.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:27 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Percentage increase will likely come from something modern. De La Cruz cards have probably increased more than anything recently.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I am not saying you lied by omission but the Title of the post says "What single card do you think will increase in Value the most in 10 years" I agree he asked 2 seperate questions. I answered the first.
I think most people would interpret the text of the post as clarifying the title rather than asking a second and different question, no? Anyhow, it's all good.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:03 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

According to Merriam-Webster:
Value-a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement
Old 08-10-2023, 05:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Cobb, Ruth, Mantle, Mays

I think Wagner maybe is a little too niche compared to these guys.
Love it I would add Jackie too. This is the Buffet/Bogel Package.... the best of the best, cream of the crop, no S...limited speculation with excellent long term appreciation.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-10-2023 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:36 AM

Default What card

Or, the answer could come from out of the blue in a non-mainstream sport,
or a player whose single card blows the curve for an as-yet-unknown reason.
The aforementioned Cobb/Ruth group sees consistent growth, I am happy to
own some, but it's a bit naive to narrow the field to those 4/5 players, all
in one sport.

Trent King
Old 08-10-2023, 10:20 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It will be a modern player who didn’t have a ton of hype but turned out great, in a sport a large number of people actually care about.