NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default How you define ORIGINAL photo

I saw a cool Hank Aaron signed 8x10 on eBay and was intrigued by the word Original in the description.

Once I noticed the "STAPLES" watermark on the reverse, I let the seller know the 1953-1954 photo couldn't have been older than about 1990. She said she would check with PSA and then repost accordingly.

Well, the item is back up after a week with no change. I know ORIGINAL can mean different things to different people, so I'll just say...but not to me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301978534836

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Banned

I saw that same photo and messaged the seller too. I asked her why she said it was a original when its clearly not. She said its "original" because she hasnt seen his 54 rookie image signed before. She said she knew it wasnt vintage and her definition of original is different from the majority of people's. I dont even know if the auto is good either. Some people will try anything because theres so many un-knowledgeable people out there who would buy that thinking they had a type 1
Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

If it really were THE original photo, what a find though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

And just connected the dots...Am I right you have an insane collection of Aaron photos?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
And just connected the dots...Am I right you have an insane collection of Aaron photos?

Ya thatd be a hell of a find...i literally would need a diaper...lol....but ya i have a pretty nice collection of hank photos.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Original means what you think it means. Just as I don't have to explain what is an original painting.

If you want a specific, technical definition it's a photograph made directly from the original negative very soon after the image was shot. The exception to the 'directly from the original negative' is with a wholly unique creation, such as some artistically and meaningfully unique artistic collage or composite image-- and whether or not it is truly unique/original is judged and debated instance by instance. The latter can always be debated as it's an aesthetic/philosophical question as much as a technical one.

The below vintage 1890 cabinet card is a rephotographing of cutout photos, but the design is so creative and unique that I would call it original. If someone doesn't want to call it original, but just vintage that is fine. Doesn't effect the value.

Last edited by drcy; 06-10-2016 at 07:52 PM.