NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Question PSA Case Damaged?

Hi, I just got back into card collecting after a couple decade break and bought my first PSA card of my childhood favorite player. My concern is now that I have a couple of other PSA cases and took a second look at the card, it appears to have been possibly messed with. I don't think the card was switched, it's just not worth enough (~$40), but it does seem to have the frosting issues noted in this article. But since I might want to resell in the future I want to make sure that I am upfront about it as it doesn't appear to be worth it to try to get it reholdered by PSA. Or is it worth returning to the eBay seller 1+ month later?

I've attached photos. You can see the clouding/frosting on both sides on the lower quarter of the card. It's pretty much hard to see with a white background (the seller had it pictured on a light marble table).

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20190919_115108(1).jpg (76.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190919_115119(1).jpg (75.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190919_115146(1).jpg (77.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190919_141622(1).jpg (73.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Robert Williams

The case looks OK to me, but personally, I would crack it out, as that stain is one of the easiest in the world to remove.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 PM

Interesting, how would one remove the stain? I wasn't sure if it was tape residue or gum stain. I thought that was considered "alteration" and was looked down upon? I personally have no problem with it and would consider it "restoration", although I know that that is the minority view.

I actually didn't realize that that is what the (ST) meant when I bought it and was pretty disappointed once I realized it. I would have been happier with a PSA 7 at probably the same price.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 07:01 PM

So what do you think caused that clouding if you think it looks fine? Thanks.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sometimes it just happens naturally as part of the case sealing process. The gum/wax residue on the front is usually wiped off with a nylon by people who choose to do that. If it's just dust on the card, it's not considered alteration as long as it doesn't remove surface gloss.

Tape stain removal would be different; most would call that alteration, because it would require a non-water solvent to remove.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

You can remove the stain in which case you may get regraded at a straight 7. But it may be an 8 or 9 oc. Probably not worth the cost of regrading.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Funny people care more a PSA case being damaged then PSA's reputation
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Matt Ferroni

Not to be too off topic here but in response to the PSA reputation comment, I get it there is a scandal going on that no one really knows yet how deep it goes. But honestly, I live in a small town in Wisconsin. There are no old school card shops within 100 miles of me and the likelihood of me getting to a show anytime soon is low. My only option for buying cards is online and yes although the system is far from perfect, at least graded cards give some sense of a baseline for the condition you are buying in the get what to pay for sense.

I have tried buying raw vintage from carefully studied pics alone and 90% of the time am disappointed once I have the card in hand. There is also no guarantee that raw are unaltered in the first place. Yea I enjoy collecting cards as a hobby but also with a sense of some type of small side investment for my children. Not to put them through college but give them a handed down heirloom collection that may be valuable. To me, graded cards still represent some small sense of I know what I’m getting. Don’t mean to rant and by no means am I a PSA apologist I just think there is a ton of baby-with-the-bathwater reaction now before the dust settles.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Funny people care more a PSA case being damaged then PSA's reputation
To be clear, I was asking because I was a little disappointed with the stain and I might want to resell in the future and I don't want to be accused of selling a tampered with card/case. From the article I linked to here it would seen that this case has issues, but people here seem to think it's totally fine. As I said and showed in the pictures it's really only noticable with a darker background so it looks totally fine otherwise.

Tags
alterations, psa