NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Default Tips for Judging the Authenticity of 1920s Exhibits?

I tried to search the board for prior threads discussing what to look for when determining the authenticity of Exhibits cards from the 1920s, but came up empty. Are there any telltale signs of fake/reprinted cards, ideally something that should be apparent by looking at a scan of the card?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
I tried to search the board for prior threads discussing what to look for when determining the authenticity of Exhibits cards from the 1920s, but came up empty. Are there any telltale signs of fake/reprinted cards, ideally something that should be apparent by looking at a scan of the card?

Thanks!
Look at the quality of the print. Look at the other things in the "picture" besides the card ie.. Check out the seller, the story etc..... I don't recall seeing a ton of fake exhibits but I am sure they are out there.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

On old 1920-30's exhibits, there are no mainstream reprints you would see all the time. Most of what you will see are homemade ones where the front looks close but generally you can tell the contrast is not right as well as the back color does not look right (also its usually only Ruth, Gehrig rookie, Cobb that you will see). The other thing you will find are some that have good laser prints on the front and have been rebacked, on the hard to tell if fake ones they used real exhibits cards as the backs so those are tough to tell.

My advise is post a picture here, and let the experts judge. I do know a raw Ruth that looks very questionable is on ebay right now that did not pass grading, the back looks like a newer 47-66 exhibit to me.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Great, thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I assume this is an example being discussed. As mentioned, 1920s Exhibits aren't typically counterfeited or reproduced. However, anything for Ruth, you need to be careful with. Some signs: print looks fuzzy rather than clear. cardstock is the wrong color (yellowish rather than white). Some things you really won't know until you have the card in hand such as the thickness and feel of the cardstock and whether it passes the black light test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake_ruth_front.jpg (76.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg fake_ruth_back.jpg (77.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg fake_ruth.jpg (74.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Yeah, that Ruth caught my eye, although I was planning to pass on it given the PSA treatment. I'd been hoping to add a Ruth to my collection for sometime, but with decent looking 33 Goudeys now beyond my price range, I'm switching focus to a lower grade Exhibit instead and want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I assume this is an example being discussed. As mentioned, 1920s Exhibits aren't typically counterfeited or reproduced. However, anything for Ruth, you need to be careful with. Some signs: print looks fuzzy rather than clear. cardstock is the wrong color (yellowish rather than white). Some things you really won't know until you have the card in hand such as the thickness and feel of the cardstock and whether it passes the black light test.
What also looked odd to me on this card was wear on the corners...even though its not the same on all four...the rounded corner wear looks too smooth to me for its age...

Ricky Y
Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Larry

I've always thought that its hard to tell from scans, but if you buy it, after you get it, look at the dot pattern under magnification--I like 16X. A real card, made from the original plate, will show a regular dot pattern.

Best of luck, as I like them too,

Larry