NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-22-2020, 11:30 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Default Reggie Jackson Auto....what's the chance this is legit? My hopes are not high

Hey everyone.

I sent this to Reggie Jackson in what was probably around 1979 or so and received this autograph back. I have seen several Reggie's and even got him at the 1984 National League playoffs at Wrigley when he was announcing for NBC (A real turd by the way) but I feel this may be a secretarial. Any chance this is legit?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reggie.jpg (72.3 KB, 270 views)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

unfortunately no good
Old 08-23-2020, 08:06 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Thanks Bill. I assumed as much but just needed confirmation.

Last edited by whitehse; 08-23-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:49 AM
J Stone

No good. Generally when you see an inscription from Reggie it will have come from a paid signing or someone he knows personally. At paid signings he will almost always give a gorgeous careful signature.

An aside...with the A's Reggie was always elusive, but every now and then he would give in and sign a few.

Reggie is one of those people that exudes "star power" and he knows it. Not defending him but he's always been very defensive about his space and puts up a really gruff exterior to the public to keep people at a distance.

On on one or in a small group he can be really engaging and funny, and he's one of the smartest athletes I've ever met.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:10 PM
Casey

Love him. But he was a jerk to me and my kid. At a paid signing I had my kid try to get his attention and take the ball and say thank you. Reggie never looked at us, set the ball on the table, and kept talking to the person next to him.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:43 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I have heard there is a good Reggie and a bad Reggie. Some friends got to meet him in a setting that was very informal with just a few people and they said he was quite engaging but my experience was that he was a bit of a turd.

I was working for the Chicago Cubs during much of the '80's both in security and eventually in the front office and on the first playoff game in 1984 I was asked to hang out in the VIP parking lot to help facilitate getting people where they needed to go. I looked up and saw a limo headed towards me and when it stopped out stepped Reggie Jackson, larger than life. He stepped out of the limo, looked at the flags at the top of the old ballpark pointing directly out to center field and then looked me straight in the eye and said "the wind is blowing out and your Cubs are going to get their asses beat today".

I was wearing my Cubs front office jacket and had a walkie in my hand so there was no doubt I was with the team and always thought that was just so rude of him to say that. But the Cubs got the better of him that day as the wind was indeed blowing out and the Cubs beat the Padres asses that day 13-0. I saw Reggie the next day and made a point to let him know how wrong he was with his prediction. Needless to say he wasn't happy with my assessment of his baseball acumen.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Dave Foster

Default Once a turd, always a . . .

Back in the '90's, my sister-in-law was a United stew. He was on her flight once and she got him to sign a cocktail napkin, personalized to me. No issues. Maybe showing some leg and a short skirt helped? My sig isn't close to yours, particularly comparing the "R" and "J." So, I think your sig is bad. My own "Reggie moment" took place maybe 30 years ago at the SF Labor Day show at the Moscone. He was accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs running interference for him down the aisles. The obvious message was, "get the f*** out of the way." Any collector foolish enough to enter his bubble would get knocked down like a ten pin. My lasting impression of him is, when it is so easy to be nice to people, why be a turd? From the above posts, sadly, some things never change.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Mikeknapp

"accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs" Thier skin color and musculature were observable but how could you tell they were thugs?

I have never met Reggie Jackson. I paid for him to sign a game used bat at the national last year. He acknowledged me, asked me where I got it, stood and swung it, then signed it and handed it back I reminded him about the Mr. October inscription I paid for. He apologized and confirmed I paid for it. Then added the inscription. The bat looked better than I hoped. He was highly professional and It was a business transaction nothing more and nothing less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190803_173014.jpg (68.2 KB, 126 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I've met Reggie at shows on numerous occasions. The first time he was kinda a jerk, but he has been better and better each time. The last time in 2008 at the Hall of Fame he was down right friendly.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Back in the '90's, my sister-in-law was a United stew. He was on her flight once and she got him to sign a cocktail napkin, personalized to me. No issues. Maybe showing some leg and a short skirt helped? My sig isn't close to yours, particularly comparing the "R" and "J." So, I think your sig is bad. My own "Reggie moment" took place maybe 30 years ago at the SF Labor Day show at the Moscone. He was accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs running interference for him down the aisles. The obvious message was, "get the f*** out of the way." Any collector foolish enough to enter his bubble would get knocked down like a ten pin. My lasting impression of him is, when it is so easy to be nice to people, why be a turd? From the above posts, sadly, some things never change.
I'm really stumped as to why you are calling him a turd? He signed a napkin for your sister-in-law, and then you saw him with security guards. I'm missing the part where your experience was bad.

He was in town at the local minor league park for a playoff game a couple of years ago (just as an honorary attendee, not a signing), and a collector friend of mine asked him to sign THREE balls, and do you know what Reggie said? "Sure." My buddy said he was very cordial, and he gave me one of the signed balls.

Last edited by scmavl; 09-04-2020 at 09:39 AM.