NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Brock

Default Off Topic: Rangers vs Jays

Did anyone watch the Rangers vs Blue Jays and see the classless Jay fans throw beer bottles and cans on the field because the umpires made a correct call. In them throwing bottles on the field and into the lower stands, they were hitting women and children with the bottles.

Then Jose Bautista showing how he has ZERO class also watches his homer for like 5 minutes and throws the bat 30 feet away. Texas choked the game with 3 straight errors.

Hopefully blue jays get swept next round because they and their classless fans don't deserve to move on.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Did anyone watch the Rangers vs Blue Jays and see the classless Jay fans throw beer bottles and cans on the field because the umpires made a correct call. In them throwing bottles on the field and into the lower stands, they were hitting women and children with the bottles.

Then Jose Bautista showing how he has ZERO class also watches his homer for like 5 minutes and throws the bat 30 feet away. Texas choked the game with 3 straight errors.

Hopefully blue jays get swept next round because they and their classless fans don't deserve to move on.

"Hopefully blue jays get swept next round"

Hopefully... NOT!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bautista is a douche, simple as that. I too hope Toronto gets swept.

Last edited by oldjudge; 10-14-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Jeff

Must be some closet Elvis Andrus fans here.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

I have never seen a team handle success with such little class.

I'm sick of Bautista, Donaldson and Encarnacion. Can u imagine how they will be if they actually win a championship?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Must be some closet Elvis Andrus fans here.
Has nothing to do with Andrus. Has to deal with how the jays and their fans made a disgrace of the game tonight. The call at the plate was 100% the correct call. And what do the fans do. Throw bottles and cans on the field, which some of them hit kids.

So if you think thats fine, then I don't know what to say.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Sounds like some Yankee fans are bitter they got beat by the Astros.

Pretty much every fan group has bad apples, believe me the Yankees fans are among the worst, and you guys cheer on your steroid cheater so shut yer yap!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bautista is a douche, simple as that. I too hope Toronto gets swept.
I watched the replay. He was pumped up, gave the bat an emphatic flip. Is he supposed to be an emotionless robot?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Mark

I don't believe it's possible for a team with David Price in their rotation to win the World Series.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Jeff

Don't agree with the actions of some fans, that was not cool. But I like the dramatic pauses and bat flips by Encarnacion and Joey Bats on the home runs. There not showing up the pitcher, there doing if for the fans!

Get ready for round II of the Stro-Show!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 Marcus Stroman Bobblehead.jpg (73.2 KB, 363 views)

Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

He consistently does that. I hope if he does that against KC (or the Astros) he gets a fastball in the ear.

Last edited by oldjudge; 10-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

Pretty much every fan group has bad apples, believe me the Yankees fans are among the worst, and you guys cheer on your steroid cheater so shut yer yap!!!
I must agree with Moe on this statement!

Old 10-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default yah did you ever see the movie 61

Didn't a Yankee fan chuck a chair at "his own teams" player.

"A story like thats gotta be true."

Yankee fans and class doesn't really go in the same sentence unless there is "less" behind it.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to the classless players with no respect for the game because the bat flip is being glorified and kids are practicing them now. It's sad that so many players have no respect for their fellow baseball players and no sense of history, but that's the SportsCenter generation for you.

I have no idea why players can't just put the bat down and run the bases. I've seen players do it in the past, so it can be done, scientists just have to figure out what has changed.

If they don't, they are going to keep trying to top the last "epic bat flip" which will probably end up in wars between the players with class and respect vs the jerks, except in this day and age, the good guys look like jerks because they defend the game.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
He consistently does that. I hope if he does that against KC (or the Astros) he gets a fastball in the ear.
It's entertainment. It seemed well within the bounds to me.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to the classless players with no respect for the game because the bat flip is being glorified and kids are practicing them now. It's sad that so many players have no respect for their fellow baseball players and no sense of history, but that's the SportsCenter generation for you.

I have no idea why players can't just put the bat down and run the bases. I've seen players do it in the past, so it can be done, scientists just have to figure out what has changed.

If they don't, they are going to keep trying to top the last "epic bat flip" which will probably end up in wars between the players with class and respect vs the jerks, except in this day and age, the good guys look like jerks because they defend the game.
Different culture, Sportscenter is part of it to be sure, but I don't think it indicates lack of respect for fellow players or the game. And it's not all that new either, look at Fisk's antics on his game-winner in 1975 for example, or Gibson's fist-pumping trip around the bases in 1988.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-14-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Jeff

All that's left to say is fear the Big Blue Wrecking Crew! If the Jays get the Royals watch out, that series will be something nasty!

Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Brock

Quote:

paul,
What team do your root for? I'm sure your team has or had a steroid cheater on it also. And today's game has nothing to do with the Yankees and Astros.

Last edited by yanks12025; 10-14-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'm partial to the '75 Reds

And a quote from Justin Verlander:

"What an incredible series!! That emotion is what #postseason is all about. Love this game!"

Enjoy it Brock - don't worry about a few beer bottles and a bat flip.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Including Encarnacion and/or Bautista??
Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Yankee fans

.....there's a reason they wear pinSTRIPES
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yan.jpg (35.6 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg yank.jpg (76.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg yankeefans.jpg (73.3 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg yankees_fan.jpg (32.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg yankeesfan.jpg (42.5 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg more.jpg (48.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg more2.jpg (16.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg more3.jpg (14.0 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-14-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Joe

I am not a Jays fan, but I couldn’t blame the reaction of the Toronto Fans, because if they had lost the game on such an absurd play, that would have been a travesty. I don’t condone the bottle throwing – as that was very dangerous – but if I was a Jays fan in those stands I would be going crazy too (we all would whether we thought the call was right or not).

As for Bautista, I enjoyed every second of his stare down and flip - pure entertainment, which is what I tune in for. (but if it was my team he did that against I would hate him and despise his actions .) You have to realize the emotion of that moment and the entire game.

As far fans cheering cheaters - every fan for every team does it if the player is on your team. Boston and LA fans cheered Manny Ramirez, SF cheered Bonds, Milwaukee cheers for Braun…and so on…(remember Dodger fans wildly cheering for Ramirez from "Mannywood" in left field even after he was suspended 50 games for PEDs?)

The fact is if they are on your team you cheer pretty much unconditionally (if your team is winning), and if they are on the other team you hate, despise and think of every way to bash them.

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 10-14-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I watched the replay. He was pumped up, gave the bat an emphatic flip. Is he supposed to be an emotionless robot?

Agreed.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
I am not a Jays fan, but I couldn’t blame the reaction of the Toronto Fans, because if they had lost the game on such an absurd play, that would have been a travesty. I don’t condone the bottle throwing – as that was very dangerous – but if I was a Jays fan in those stands I would be going crazy too (we all would whether we thought the call was right or not).

As for Bautista, I enjoyed every second of his stare down and flip - pure entertainment, which is what I tune in for. (but if it was my team he did that against I would hate him and despise his actions .) You have to realize the emotion of that moment and the entire game.

As far fans cheering cheaters - every fan for every team does it if the player is on your team. Boston and LA fans cheered Manny Ramirez, SF cheered Bonds, Milwaukee cheers for Braun…and so on…(remember Dodger fans wildly cheering for Ramirez from "Mannywood" in left field even after he was suspended 50 games for PEDs?)

The fact is if they are on your team you cheer pretty much unconditionally (if your team is winning), and if they are on the other team you hate, despise and think of every way to bash them.
what joe said!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

Bat flips are awesome. Baseball is fun! Let the players show it! Our game needs kids to love playing and watching it. If the old fogies and traditionalists from my generation and older persist in sucking the enthusiasm out of the players, we all lose as baseball fans.

I love Fernando Rodney for shooting the arrow last night. He showed millions of Cubs fans that the team wasn't afraid of St. Louis. (Even though he scared the hell out of us for doing it before the inning was over.)

I love that Joey Bats got jacked up and flipped his bat dramatically. Hell, he smoked that ball to win the series for the Jays after being down 0-2. It was cathartic if nothing else.

I love seeing grown men act like little boys for playing a game.

Our game is beautiful because it blends players from around the world and brings the best players in the planet to our shores. There are several cultural considerations to be made. Not all cultures act as we do! John Baker, a retired catcher, wrote an excellent article on how on-field celebrations are a part of the game that is lionized in other countries.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...o-where-061615
Old 10-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Don

When did MLB start allowing bottles in the stadiums?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default and....

just in case anyone wants it:

BAUTISTA'S HR JERSEY UP FOR AUCTION
MLB's website is auctioning off the jersey Jose Bautista wore during the Blue Jays' Game 5 win over the Rangers. The current bid is $2,000, and bidding will last until Sunday night.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Sean Costello

I don't see a problem with someone flipping a bat. Why does a team get so upset that they throw at a batter? Because he "doesn't respect the game"?

Hockey players celebrate every goal, basketball player mug for the cameras after every dunk, but in baseball you can't celebrate a homer?

As for Bautista, he was probably thinking "this is what you get" after that run scored in the top of the 7th. I know I was thinking it.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default and is it just me or......

do these playoff games seem more emotional then ever....I think I read of the teams remaining someone is going to break a drought of a minimum of 22 years (or more), maybe that's partially why.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post

Couldn't agree more! I'm a Pirates fan and I know when Schwarber hit that monstrous home run in the WC game and stared at it I thought he was a jerk and can't stand him now haha if I was a Cubs fan I would've loved it. Then watching this game as an unbiased fan, it actually got me pumped up when Baitista did that. All about perspective in my opinion!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Brad Francis

Default Jays Fan

I am a Jays fan....So how many cans and bottles on the field compared to how many fans were in the stadium??? No excuse for individuals behavior, but there are idiots in every stadium. Really troubling is how CUB fans treated Bartman exactly 12 years ago today. Death threats, escort from the stadium, pictures of him on the big screen...Bartman deserves a medal for handling with as much class as he could muster...Steve there is room for you in Toronto...

Celebration after goals in hockey, fist pumping, slamming into the glass to interact with fans, "riding the stick", throwing off gloves, piling up at center...it is awesome to behold. The other team just pulls up the bootstraps and works harder. No crying...ow about a body check into the opposing teams bench...nobody complains...just stand up, shake it off and play on...

Since when did baseball become golf? Remember boys, there is "no crying in baseball". Even if Encarnacion was getting the fans pumped up (which he wasn't) so what?? Dyson got "Jacked" by Buatista and was sad that the fans and players were making fun of him?? So he goes over to Encarnacion and says "please stop making fun of me". Soft...

23 years without postseason will get any team and stadium jacked up...

Oh and the play in the top of 7, it was the right call IF...the ump didn't put his hands up and call it dead..pretty straightforward...

Feel free to bring it on. I promise I won't get my feelings hurt...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:07 PM

My personal feelings aside, baseball has a way of policing itself. Bat flips, hopping and other antics have been dealt with accordingly in the past. It will continue to do so. Could you imagine what would have happened to Bautista if he had bat flipped someone like Bob Gibson? Probably would be talking about a stint on the 60-day D.L.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 PM
D0NN1E B

It was the right damn call regardless and Texas just choked and blew the game.
Texas isnt soft, thats just stupid to say.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Texas has had some epic chokes. Nothing in baseball history can really top the 2011 World Series. Just one strike away!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Tony N.

I see nothing wrong with the bat flip by Bautista. Throwing beer cans and bottles by the fans, that is just plain stupid.

PS - Cubs are winning the World Series this year.... Marty McFly said so in Back to the Future 2!!!

Tony
Old 10-14-2015, 08:19 PM
qu@n nguy3n

we have a bunch of brian mccanns around here...show just a little emotion and you get a dressing down from a scrappy, hard-nosed hustling prewar card collector. instead of doing everything to suppress joy from the game, maybe embrace it so we get more fans/kids into the game?

baseball players and its fanbase are some of the most butthurt, insufferable, and self righteous people out there.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I was at both Mets-Dodgers games in NY and the fans were screaming for Chase Utley's head. Yet there were no bottles or trash thrown onto the field. I can't remember the last time I saw fans do what Toronto's did today.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
we have a bunch of brian mccanns around here...show just a little emotion and you get a dressing down from a scrappy, hard-nosed hustling prewar card collector. instead of doing everything to suppress joy from the game, maybe embrace it so we get more fans/kids into the game?

baseball players and its fanbase are some of the most butthurt, insufferable, and self righteous people out there.

Where do you draw the line between the "little emotion", the last line you wrote and sportsmanship?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I was at both Mets-Dodgers games in NY and the fans were screaming for Chase Utley's head. Yet there were no bottles or trash thrown onto the field. I can't remember the last time I saw fans do what Toronto's did today.
Actually Mets fans do throw beer bottles and batteries:

Former Atlanta Braves closer John Rocker was not a New York Mets fan.He was accused of being racist, homophobic and sexist after his infamous January 2000 Sports Illustrated interview, but it is sometimes forgotten that he also expressed his feeling about the Mets and their fans.

"Nowhere else in the country do people spit at you, throw bottles at you, throw quarters at you, throw batteries at you and say, 'Hey, I did your mother last night — she's a whore.' I talked about what degenerates they were and they proved me right."

When Rocker made his first appearance at Shea Stadium on June 29, more than 700 police officers were at the ball park instead of the usual 60.

There were limits on beer purchases and there was a protective cover over the Atlanta Braves bullpen.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-14-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Ouch, that hurts...(oh ya I promised I wouldn't...)

Yes it was the right call but the Ump signaled the Jays to stop playing and let the runner run...he might as well as set a pick...I have to agree that the Jays should have played through the Umps error anyway as the Rangers did. But even without the choking, Bautista still needs to jack it up. Its not like they walked in four...

I just love how a batter seems to "just know" as soon as the ball is off the bat...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 PM
D0NN1E B

Yeah... but Bautista would have never batted.

Regardless of what the ump does there , Odor is going to be safe.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Bradley Holt

Last edited by V117collector; 10-14-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Bradley Holt

Default Go jays!!!

Some of you guys sound so bitter it's funny!

Last edited by V117collector; 10-14-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM

I'm on the fence and would appreciate an answer. Where is the line between emotion and sportsmanship? At what point does bat flips, hand gestures, staring down your opponents, etc. turn to disrespect? Is it charging the mound or something else?

Last edited by Orioles1954; 10-14-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Brad Francis

[QUOTE=Mountaineer1999;1461683]Yeah... but Bautista would have never batted."

Yes you are correct. But we could use the "butterfly effect" all the way back to the beginning..I.E. if the first pitch was a ball instead of strike, or player "a" doesn't spit tobacco...then...then...etc.

If Elvis hadn't dropped the ball....twice...but he did...

Every loss in the history of baseball is a choke by the losing team...Not sure how Texas choking takes away from the win by the Jays. Sorry...three straight wins...

Did anyone see that Hot Dog served at Globe life..three feet long topped with a pound of chili and a pound of onions served in a box with handles...I have been hungry ever since...gotta love ballpark hot dogs...

Back to my hockey references, throwing beer bottles in Toronto is not a Canadian thing...at hockey games we just throw weird stuff like teddy bears, hats and squids...yes squids...and then a fist fight breaks out on the ice...The beautiful goonery that is hockey can still be civil...again bad individual fans in Toronto tonight, but mostly civil...
Old 10-14-2015, 09:06 PM
D0NN1E B

Im not bitter at all. I read through the hockey analogy, a sport where they fight for looking at each other wrong, and had to reply. If the rolls were 100% reversed you Jays fans would be taking the exact opposite side of the argument. You would be hysterical that Fielder flipped his bat and those obnoxious Texas fans throwing bottles on the field!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:11 PM
D0NN1E B

All argumrnts and discussions aside. I would have to say it was the most entertaining, non Pirate, inning of baseball that ive seen maybe ever.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I'm on the fence and would appreciate an answer. Where is the line between emotion and sportsmanship? At what point does bat flips, hand gestures, staring down your opponents, etc. turn to disrespect? Is it charging the mound or something else?
Depends on your cultural background, your age, and a myriad of other variables. If you didn't see the Baker article I linked earlier in the thread, I would encourage you to check it out. He explains it better than I could.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

[quote=marvymelvin;1461695]
Quote:

Back to my hockey references, throwing beer bottles in Toronto is not a Canadian thing...at hockey games we just throw weird stuff like teddy bears, hats and squids...yes squids...and then a fist fight breaks out on the ice...The beautiful goonery that is hockey can still be civil...again bad individual fans in Toronto tonight, but mostly civil...
Correction, Brad, it is Octopus, not squid. And you forgot rubber rats.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Im not bitter at all. I read through the hockey analogy, a sport where they fight for looking at each other wrong, and had to reply. If the rolls were 100% reversed you Jays fans would be taking the exact opposite side of the argument. You would be hysterical that Fielder flipped his bat and those obnoxious Texas fans throwing bottles on the field!
Yes but during and after the fight everyone cheers fans and players alike, two minutes in the box, and then on with the game. As for your Fielder reference, I would be pissed he hit the homerun...I just don't get the problem with a bat flip, and watching your hit leave the the park...or getting your fans into it by waving your arms...

Calling someone's mother bad names is wrong though...

BTW, why don't baseball players shake hands at the end of a series like in Basketball and Hockey? Football I understand because there's like 90 of them, but why not baseball? I think they used to, but when did that get lost?