NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Introduction and Question

Posted By: Anonymous

Hello,
This is my first post to this forum. I found it a couple days ago and have already learned quite a bit just by reading some of the past posts. Of course I still have a lot more to learn about vintage collecting since I've been away from the hobby for about 9 years. My question is this: How can you tell the difference between a card that has been trimmed and a card that is just badly off-center? I've been looking at some cards on e-bay, but I can't really tell the difference.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Not to start off rudely, but posting your name and an email addy is good form. Anon posters tend to ignored and/or shut down until we know who you are.

You question is innocent enough so as not to ignore you. Welcome to the board, but please let us know who you are.

The absolute best way to learn how to tell if a card on eBay is trimmed is to go to shows, carry a book that lists sizes for cards, and then get a mental feel for what a full size card should like. 90% or more of all trim jobs cna be idenified this way.

The best way to start out buying on eBay is to make small purchases first until you become more familiar with the cards you want. Also learn who the reputable dealer/sellers are. It may cost a bit more to go thru them, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Jay

Old 11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: halleygator

Get the seller to tell you in writing the exact measurements of the card, and compare that to the listed measurements in guide books.

If the card comes and does NOT measure up -- and you have the seller telling you something in writing about the measurements that was NOT true -- then surely you will get a refund from the seller OR report him to EBAY for fraud and negative feedback.

Or ... you can just buy a card that has been graded by PRO Grading and KNOW for a FACT that it has been trimmed.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You can send your great vintage card to PSA and have the snotty nosed kid send it back as "miscut"....hopefully without Cheeto's residue on it ( although I like cheeto's)..........but in all seriousness here are a few tips...

1. measure the card and check it versus the guides measurements.

2. compare it to other cards of the same series....a lot of vintage cards have varied sizes.

3. look for a "wavy" cut on the sides or top or bottom

4. if any of the first 3 look suspicious look for 2 corners to be more "pointed" than the other 2....

5. on albumen (photo) type cards feel the edges....if any are smooth there could be a problem as most should have some "rough" feel to them.......

6. handle as many cards as possible...

hope these hints will help....seems like no one ever wants to tell exactly what to do......but these methods are a dang good start......

regards,
leon

These are all signs of trimming

Old 11-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

also look at the edges of the card. if the card edge is dirty or discolred you can notice that trimming has occured by the lighter color of a cut edge.

caig

Old 11-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Myron Black

Thanks for info. I'll be sure to include my name and e-mail the next time I post.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally bought a clear ruler and marked the standard measurement for the T206s on the ruler. Makes it easier for a dumby like me that has a hard time figuring out fractions. Every T206 I get receives a measurement change. I didd not do this early in my collecting and now possess a few trimmed cards.

Good Luck with the collecting

Lee Behrens

bowlingshoegiverouterguy

Old 11-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

anyone who's ever sent scans of numerous Old Judges around knows that the height changes with almost every card...

Old 11-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Is this Myron from Georgia?

Old 11-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Nah, I'm from South Carolina.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762697433&category=31718&rd=1

Old 11-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Administrator

No, that's not me.