NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 07-25-2024, 01:31 PM

Default Grade a whole 1957 Topps Basketball Set?

I have a 1957 Topps Basketball Set (with Russell RC) that I am planning to sell with cards mostly in the VG-EX to EX range, with one or two less, and some more. SGC currently has a $12 per card grading special.
1st question: Is it worth it to get the whole set graded? The value of some lower-grade commons may not be much more than the cost of grading.
2nd question: is this set in much demand, or are only the star cards being purchased? Your opinions and any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:42 PM
St@n Go.len

I almost never see them so I would think you would get a good price

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2024, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sBaseball View Post
I have a 1957 Topps Basketball Set (with Russell RC) that I am planning to sell with cards mostly in the VG-EX to EX range, with one or two less, and some more. SGC currently has a $12 per card grading special.
1st question: Is it worth it to get the whole set graded? The value of some lower-grade commons may not be much more than the cost of grading.
2nd question: is this set in much demand, or are only the star cards being purchased? Your opinions and any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
Assuming equivalent grades, PSA would be a much better choice for the keys, and if you grade commons, it only makes sense to use PSA because of the set registry.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:21 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Assuming equivalent grades, PSA would be a much better choice for the keys, and if you grade commons, it only makes sense to use PSA because of the set registry.
100% agree with this.
311-407 PSA 6
Old 07-27-2024, 12:18 AM

Yes - Get every card graded with PSA, regardless of condition. You will do really well selling it.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:34 AM

Thank you to those of you who replied with some great advice. I purposely mentioned the SGC basketball special to see if I would get any reaction, and your pro-PSA responses are certainly notable. While the cost of grading is pretty much predictable, what one can get for a graded set, especially if most of the grades are a bit lower (4-6), is unpredictable. So, I followup with a few questions:
1. Is this 1957 Topps Basketball set with the Russell RC popular enough to grade the whole set?
2. Are there that many set buyers who would buy at the 4-6 level?
Thank you again in advance.
Old 07-27-2024, 06:56 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sBaseball View Post
Thank you to those of you who replied with some great advice. I purposely mentioned the SGC basketball special to see if I would get any reaction, and your pro-PSA responses are certainly notable. While the cost of grading is pretty much predictable, what one can get for a graded set, especially if most of the grades are a bit lower (4-6), is unpredictable. So, I followup with a few questions:

1. Is this 1957 Topps Basketball set with the Russell RC popular enough to grade the whole set?

2. Are there that many set buyers who would buy at the 4-6 level?

Thank you again in advance.
Yes and yes.

Old 08-02-2024, 11:49 AM
Adam

Definitely a worthwhile set. Have to weigh initial cost for PSA vs SGC. Both will do quite well. I put together the set in PSA 5+ myself.
Old 08-03-2024, 01:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This all day.

There is no reason at all to sgc grade any set until they fix the registry as buyers do not care about the commons.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-03-2024, 01:43 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This all day.

There is no reason at all to sgc grade any set until they fix the registry as buyers do not care about the commons.
Seems a bit extreme to me, I can't speak for everyone but I did the 61 Fleer set in SGC because I liked the look of that set in their slabs. Wanted them all graded for uniformity and can't imagine I am the only person. The registry is cool but for it to be the only reason someone would do the set seems off to me.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post
Seems a bit extreme to me, I can't speak for everyone but I did the 61 Fleer set in SGC because I liked the look of that set in their slabs. Wanted them all graded for uniformity and can't imagine I am the only person. The registry is cool but for it to be the only reason someone would do the set seems off to me.
Count me as another Cincinnatian working on the 61 set in SGC slabs.... Looks way better than PSA imo. Pretty much true for all vintage, which used to be the consensus on net54.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:00 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It's a money losing proposition to have them graded at SGC. Anyone who wants an SGC card, and yes there are an elite few, will buy the psa counterpart and have it graded at sgc. However, most likely the discount sgc cards provide and likely would just wait for an SGC copy at their price point. If you want o maximize profit. Grade the whole thing at PSA. Just be warned, they are brutal on centering and that set is hard to find centered.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-14-2024, 04:56 PM
St@n Go.len

Side note, a guy in one of the FB groups finished an 86 Fleer set, ALL BGS 9.5 with ALL subgrades at least 9.5! Bananas.