NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Forum members be proud

Posted By: Silver King

I just found this forum last week and I am brand new to all this baseball stuff and I think this forum and the members are awesome. You all should be proud of your research and the topics that you share in this forum. I spent the past week reading hundreds of posts that you guys talk about and I am so impressed by the camaraderie you guys have, this is a nice site to sit back with a cup of coffee and read about so many topics that I had no idea I loved. I am addicted and realize that I have so much to learn.

Right now I am fascinated with the pre-1900's cards and anything that is 100+ years old. This all started with a search for several particular N172 cards but it is now blossoming into a search for postcards, photos memorabilia etc. I've seen so many incredible things that forum members have purchased and it's nice to view some of these items in the topics.

I wish I had something better to share as a topic but I have more questions than answers so I will just say that I am going to sit back and read your comments and if I jump in with a retarded question or comment you can feel free to blast me.....

If I were to pick out one topic that I find most interesting that you guys have discussed, I think it's the amount of forgery of cards out there. Who would have thought? Thanks for posting all your advice about fakes, good sellers, bad sellers, eBay scams, non-graded cards, cracked casings on graded cards, photoshop, etc. I am finding out very fast that this is an expensive hobby if done legitimate; however, getting ripped of with a forgery would be a nightmare and I am sure there are lots of stories.

robert shaw

Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

welcome ! Robert, good to have you a part of this forum. i too felt the same way when i 1st stummbled upon this forum. Needless to say i keep learning alot about the hobby and about the sport history in general. I have met some real good people on the board and hope to meet more. The vbc is the best!

happy collecting.

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Robert,

Have you done much reading about the 19th century game and players? There are a few good books out there that really make the hobby that much more enjoyable. Welcome aboard!

edited spelling

Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

"I am so impressed by the camaraderie you guys have"

What forum have you been reading Kidding of course (at least most of the time). Welcome aboard - you're not a lawyer are you?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Robert- welcome aboard, and we want you to know it is our new policy to be polite to everyone, even if they ask stupid questions. Our days of blasting are over, so ask away!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

"Our days of blasting are over"

Nobody bothered to tell me.

Seriously though, this board has been very informative and helpful (thanks again Barry)and even though some threads get a little off track all in all its da best.

Welcome Robert!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

hahaha. I'm not a lawyer. I have several jobs, most important is being a dad to 3 kids ages 5,3 and 2. Live in Sacramento, CA. My oddest hobby is scuba diving for dead bodies for people who have drowned around the area. My great great grandfather was Silver King of the St. Louis Browns and the reason my interest got started. Books I have started reading "Beer & Whiskey League", "Before they were Cardinals", "Ken Burns baseball" and a few other things. Mostly I visit websites searching for things about Silver King but then I find a different path and find myself looking at crazy things from the 1800's, today I found old photos of train wrecks....so you never know where I'll end up.

robert shaw

Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Welcome to our board. I second what the others have said. If I can ever be of help let me know.....Good luck in the hunt

Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

"My oddest hobby is scuba diving for dead bodies for people who have drowned around the area."

I have a feeling you'll fit in just fine here Robert.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Welcome, Robert.

And thank you for your kind words. Glad you share our passion.

Nothing necessarily bad about being a lawyer. Just like everything else, there are good 'uns and bad 'uns...

I'm a state court district judge, going on 14th year. My most important job, being daddy for 2 daughters. The day I lose sight of that, I need a new job. So I loved your post about the kids.

Don't give up on us when we get evil and hateful for a few days. It will blow over. There are some wise, knowledgable collectors on here, that really know their stuff.

With kind regards,

Frank

Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Robert,

Rather than having to retype or copy and paste one of your previous post from a different thread I'll include a link to that post which describes your relationship to Silver King. The Beer and Whiskey League is a really neat book. Might I suggest The Great Encyclopedia of 19th Century Major League Baseball by David Nemec. It's full of stats and stories from that era.

Here' the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1170355370/last-1170570212/Silver+King

Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you could have saved many paragraphs and just said that you work for the mob.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome Robert.
You'll find this to be a wealth of information with good friends/ colleagues in search of
the Vintage Mysteries.
When it gets crazed or cacophonic, keep on keeping on---it's worth the extra effort!!!

all the best,
barry