NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old Today, 03:35 PM
Steven Finley

Default Dammit Hoot Evers...

So one night last week I was doing my normal routine of have a drink (or 3) and scrolling eBay while a game played in the background. I was searching "team photo" randomly and something caught my eye. This was listed fairly cheaply as "1950's Army Basketball Team Photo" and although I don't collect much basketball for some odd reason I clicked on the listing. Immediately my eye was drawn to the player on the bottom left.

Now Ed White is surely a popular name, but I was fairly certain WAA referenced Waco Army Airfield and a quick search uncovered that Astronaut Ed White, who perished in the Apollo 1 fire, did his jet fighter training at the base after graduating West Point in 1952. I did some more digging and I found Ed's high school portrait and comparing them I felt that they looked similar, although I'm terrible at that.

At this point, on scotch number four, it was worth the $30 to go ahead an hit the BIN as the photo was a fairly newer listing and had almost a dozen followers already. At best I had a had a rare signature that fit both my sports collection and my historical autographs collection, and at worst I had an another cool photo for the man cave. Today the photo arrived and as the listing photo wasn't the best (Ed White was one of the few signatures I could make out) I was excited to get the photo in hand and research the other people in the photo to see if any connections to astronaut Ed White could be made. I read the signatures off and got to one in particular. Out loud to no one I said "Oh... Hoot Evers... that's really cool!" Then it hit me and I immediately corrected myself to "Dammit... Hoot Evers..."

While some some research uncovered that baseball player Hoot Evers spent WW2 at Waco Army Airfield to confirm my guess, he also famously replaced Ted Williams while the Hall of Famer served in Korea. Being as astronaut Ed White wouldn't have been at the Air Field until after graduating West Point in 1952 (and didn't graduate high school until after WW2 and Evers had returned to MLB) I am now certain the player in the bottom left is just Ed White and not Apollo Astronaut Ed White. Anywho, it's a cool piece that still has some baseball history and I'm happy to own.

Happy Collecting All.

Last edited by sbfinley; Today at 03:48 PM.
Old Today, 03:42 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Congrats; looks like a great pickup!
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.