NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-08-2023, 06:38 AM

Default Federal League - St. Louis Pup - Cast Iron Dog

Ok, someone here please convince me that I'm wrong.....

Ever since I started collecting Federal League items, I've been attracted to the "St. Louis Pup" - a variant of the "Griswold Pup" cast iron dog series marketed as a souvenir for the St. Louis Terriers. They are cute, and there actually aren't that many souvenirs from the Federal League team, and I envisioned picking up some inexpensively from sellers who didn't know their history. I figured they'd be hidden in the mix of other advertising dogs, either labeled with the foundry that created them, or the advertising location/event where they were given out (such as dogs marked Hines, Griswold Pup, Alco, Bucki Carbons Ribbons, Blue Pup, St. Mark's, Paul's Pup, et.c)

HOWEVER.....once I started researching them, I began to wonder if they were actually even related to the Federal League baseball team. I first found this article online about them:
https://www.antiquetrader.com/antiqu...vertising-pups
And it talks about Griswold having a large production run of these advertising pups in 1937, and then another in 1951. So my main initial question was whether or not these were actually in production far earlier, during the 1914-1915 period of the Federal League.

I went to a Griswold cast iron forum to ask the experts. They told me that the "Fido Pup" design was patented in 1914, based on a comic character, and Hubley made Fido into a paperweight, bank, doorstop, and bookend. These original genuine Fido banks have a "US PAT 1914" marked on them. Hubley then made minor changes to the design to avoid infringement, and then started to produce these pup paperweights. They became quite popular, and various foundries produced them throughout the 20th century.

They felt it was highly unlikely that the "St Louis Pup" was connected to the Federal League team for a number of reasons:
- It seemed unlikely that the Fido dog would be modified (and also popular enough) in the short time frame, as the initial design had only just hit the market
- There are a number of variations (see the photo above) of the "St Louis Pup" design - both with the lettering on his butt, and in the lettering in the raised circle on the back of his head. This would indicate that the "St Louis Pup" was created over a longer period of time, and perhaps by different foundries.

One of these just sold at a Federal League premium price of $450 on ebay.
Other online auction houses have also sold them recently for premium prices (and attributed to the St. Louis Terriers)
https://www.selkirkauctions.com/auct...-fo_9184407809
https://huntauctions.com/live/view_l...st_number=1400
https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...ther-rarities/

So.....has this dog been misattributed for many years? Or am I wrong?
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2023, 06:26 PM
GaryPassamonte

I've had the same questions for many years.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Doug Goodman

Hmmm. Interesting.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:37 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

I've always been very skeptical of any Federal League connection as well. I've never seen any evidence linking the two, aside from prior auction listings stating that they were connected without any support. Not sure where this first arose, but I'm highly dubious!