NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 03-01-2023, 08:45 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default 2004 LeBron James Jambalaya PSA 8

JUST back from PSA. Sure is sharp. Not sure why an 8. Maybe you can see something I'm missing. Gorgeous card.

Selling this for someone. He wants to net 2500

[IMG]0000 by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]00000001 by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by LACardsGuy; 03-01-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:21 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I don't really know what they look at while grading cards, but looking at the card this is what I see: Possible printing flaw on the front at about 7 o'clock. Possible chipping along the upper left from the lower loop of the "J" to about 12 o'clock on the back. Possible printing flaws or scratches around "Jambalaya" on the back. It looks like a long scratch above the letters. It may be the holder or blowing up the image may make it look worse than it is so I am just guessing.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 03-02-2023 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:29 PM

Looks like some missing foil on left side of the gold front "Jambalaya" ellipse in addition to those things, as well as chipping on back bottom. Also what looks like some faint scratches here or there which shouldn't be present on a brand new case so maybe on the card. Don't know how they grade non-rectangular cards but an 8 seems okay to me given the current environment. (I tend to think PSA overgrades in general).

It's hard to accurately assess cards you have a stake or interest in because of the endowment effect and confirmation bias. That's one reason why everyone complains about their submissions being undergraded.

Last edited by hauntedcomputer; 03-02-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What does "Jambalaya" mean in the context of basketball cards?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What does "Jambalaya" mean in the context of basketball cards?
They have issued Jambalaya case hits in baseball and hockey as well. They are not a cheap insert in any sport.

This is one of the more plain releases but still this year looks better in person. They are using jambalaya more in the definition of a mixture of things. They usually have special card stock along with the obvious irregular shape.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So nothing to do with the food?

Or not...
Old 03-07-2023, 11:07 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I think you are playing me now, lol.

No, not in reference to the food.

Although, I guess much like the entomology of the creation of the second meaning of cornucopia becoming much more used to describe a endless supply rather than a wicker horn of plenty. The logical thought would be the common usage in many areas like mine of using jambalaya as a mixture of different items rather than the dish, was created from the recipe being an “everything but the kitchen sink” item.

…So in retrospect, yes it does in a “deep thoughts” way have to do with the food.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

As to the OP,

I am sorry that I helped hijack your thread. I would have never added to it had it been in the BST and not in the general forum posts.

I would suggest adding a post in the BST for better eyes. Also, not being critical at all; you may want to show your friend some more recent sale prices on this card to get a current perspective and more movement.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope, not playing. I've seen these cards but have no frame of reference as to the set. I'm not a big follower of the modern game so I was not sure whether Jambalaya had some inside meaning for the sport or for the selection of players. Usually, a subset theme has some sort of relevance to the sport, slam dunk or scoring kings, etc. When this for sale listing popped up on the basketball chat area I figured someone might know why "Jambalaya". Maybe it is some sort of inside reference to doing designs with all sorts of unrelated graphic elements or lack of a unified theme as to the player selection? Or just another excuse to make more cards of MJ, LeBron and other big names? Regardless, some of them are really interesting looking.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-08-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Yes! It's a redemption card for a can of soup!Obviously not many got redeemed. You should see what the soup sells for
Old 03-14-2023, 01:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Yes! It's a redemption card for a can of soup!Obviously not many got redeemed. You should see what the soup sells for
Make it a dozen eggs and you might have something.

Or not...
Old 03-23-2023, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jambalaya, and a crawfish pie and a file gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

GLWS, very popular insert and it sure looks like a 9 to me but PSA is crushing people.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-23-2023 at 09:32 PM.