NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-22-2022, 09:23 AM

Default Bryce Harper 2012 Topps Series 2 661(A)

A few questions.

I believe there are reprints/counterfeits. How is possible to distinguish between the reprints/counterfeits and the authentic?

How was the autograph version distributed? I have read three different ways.
As a redemption, in packs, and as part of a promotional program that I do not recall the name of now.

I am chasing these cards if anyone has one available.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:00 AM
John Donovan

It was my understanding that both varieties were pack pulled only, but I’m not an expert.

I actually pulled one of the non-auto versions from a jumbo pack on clearance sale back in 2013. Sold it for about $150, which was a good price at the time. Should have held but oh well! Used the money to buy a Babe Ruth bat card which I still have and enjoy.

As far as counterfeits, yes I have seen many listed. If buying online I think buying a graded one is the safest way….especially for the auto version. I feel like the auto version is the one counterfeited the most.

If you can find a reputable online dealer you might be ok buying raw. Otherwise if you can see one in hand, look at it closely with a loupe, compare the ink and dot patterns with some legit 2012 commons, and use common sense. They are rare but still come up for sale regularly.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
It was my understanding that both varieties were pack pulled only, but I’m not an expert.

I actually pulled one of the non-auto versions from a jumbo pack on clearance sale back in 2013. Sold it for about $150, which was a good price at the time. Should have held but oh well! Used the money to buy a Babe Ruth bat card which I still have and enjoy.

As far as counterfeits, yes I have seen many listed. If buying online I think buying a graded one is the safest way….especially for the auto version. I feel like the auto version is the one counterfeited the most.

If you can find a reputable online dealer you might be ok buying raw. Otherwise if you can see one in hand, look at it closely with a loupe, compare the ink and dot patterns with some legit 2012 commons, and use common sense. They are rare but still come up for sale regularly.
Does PSA recognize the difference between the counterfeits and authentic?
Old 11-27-2022, 09:45 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Does PSA recognize the difference between the counterfeits and authentic?
Well that’s a great question!

In theory, yes. All grading companies make mistakes, but PSA should be able to detect the fakes and not slab them.

When buying a high dollar, commonly faked card online there is a MUCH higher likelihood that a graded card is authentic than a raw one.

You can definitely find real, raw 2012 661 A Harper’s out there. But if you are going to be paying $500 to $1000 for a baseball card, the added protection of buying a graded card is worth it in my opinion. And it will have a better resale value if you decide to sell down the road.

If you decide to buy raw, just make sure it’s from a reputable seller.