NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-15-2023, 05:16 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Default Ja Morant suspended for 8 games

What do y'all make of the situation and the suspension? He could be back next week.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-16-2023, 01:35 PM
J@mes In.gram

I'm from Memphis, born and raised. I love the Grizzlies. Just when you think they have the guy to build around, this has to happen. It's just Memphis in microcosm. Always a day late, dollar short, or...stupidity.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-16-2023, 01:41 PM

Personally I can't imagine being such an immature person. This guy has millions of dollars, is an elite athlete but all he really wants in life is for people to think he's tough. So bizarre.

Last edited by packs; 03-16-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:57 PM

Great talent on the court, lot's of issues off. I hope he gets the help he needs and doesn't end up like so many others.

For some reason seeing the video reminded me of the tragedy of Aaron Hernandez.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Great talent on the court, lot's of issues off. I hope he gets the help he needs and doesn't end up like so many others.

+1 Agreed

want to see him succeed but he is bringing this on himself
and he will most likely miss out on $39 mill in his next contract as a result.
costly mistake to dance with a gun

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-20-2023, 10:48 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

Recipe for disaster in each and every sport and entertainment career.

Player leaves the bad neighborhood and criminal element. In the spirit of "keeping it real" they stupidly bring it with them. Like bringing bedbugs to your dorm at Oxford on purpose.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:28 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Player leaves the bad neighborhood and criminal element. In the spirit of "keeping it real" they stupidly bring it with them.
Morant had a middle-class upbringing in Dalzell, South Carolina. Far from a "bad neighborhood"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-20-2023, 12:10 PM

I'm believer that everyone is an individual and people make their own choices. For every person identified as being from a bad neighborhood, every other person from that neighborhood manages to not do things that put them in situations like this.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:01 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The reality is he will be back soon and playing games in the playoffs and it will all be forgotten unless he does something stupid in the future.
Great players get extra leeway in all sports especially for their own team’s fans

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-20-2023, 01:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Morant had a middle-class upbringing in Dalzell, South Carolina. Far from a "bad neighborhood"
Take a look at the stats for Crestwood High School in Sumter. 100% economically disadvantaged and the entire school on free lunch programs is not exactly a privileged community.

Median household income in Dalzell is 40,750. In my middle class neighborhood just outside Detroit (not in New York or San Fran) it's 138,000. Not sure where you found a description of 40K as middle class, but things must be mighty cheap in Dalzell to have a family living middle class for that.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-17730

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:00 PM

But where does the connection come from? I don't know criminal statistics for the town, but I'd be willing to bet 9 out of every 10 people from it are not doing things that this guy is. Seems like this is a personal choice more than anything else. I don't think this behavior is inevitable in any way.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:22 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Take a look at the stats for Crestwood High School in Sumter. 100% economically disadvantaged and the entire school on free lunch programs is not exactly a privileged community.

Median household income in Dalzell is 40,750. In my middle class neighborhood just outside Detroit (not in New York or San Fran) it's 138,000. Not sure where you found a description of 40K as middle class, but things must be mighty cheap in Dalzell to have a family living middle class for that.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-17730
I wouldn't call it privileged either, but I read your comment to suggest that he was raised in a poor urban environment. (If I misunderstood, my apologies.)

One of the popular knocks against Morant for his recent shenanigans has been that he is essentially "playing at" being about that tough, street guy life while having been raised in a stable family home in a semi-rural/suburban environment.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:11 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I wouldn't call it privileged either, but I read your comment to suggest that he was raised in a poor urban environment. (If I misunderstood, my apologies.)

One of the popular knocks against Morant for his recent shenanigans has been that he is essentially "playing at" being about that tough, street guy life while having been raised in a stable family home in a semi-rural/suburban environment.
He's choosing to take the low road gangsta life which shows a lack of intelligence, selfishness bordering on narcissism, with very little critical thinking skills. The world needs less people like him, privileged, under privileged, black white, doesn't matter. There are so many more black and white athletes trying to make a difference in society that douchebags like this guy should get no press at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-20-2023, 09:52 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
He's choosing to take the low road gangsta life which shows a lack of intelligence, selfishness bordering on narcissism, with very little critical thinking skills. The world needs less people like him, privileged, under privileged, black white, doesn't matter. There are so many more black and white athletes trying to make a difference in society that douchebags like this guy should get no press at all.
it really not about street life..it about being young with money and being able to be out late at night ....many cultures all races living that life do foolish things....i believe this is going to hurt college football and college hoops as well ...you will see more upsets then ever and wierd teams winning championships...it will be more as to who can 'control' their elite rich stars off the field/court and who can recruit them as having a big program is nice but money and other things now can bring anyone anywhere..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-20-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:07 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
it really not about street life..it about being young with money and being able to be out late at night ....many cultures all races living that life do foolish things....i believe this is going to hurt college football and college hoops as well ...you will see more upsets then ever and wierd teams winning championships...it will be more as to who can 'control' their elite rich stars off the field/court and who can recruit them as having a big program is nice but money and other things now can bring anyone anywhere..
I made similar mistakes when I was young although I didn't have the money, its about personal responsibility and the person you want to be. I don't expect the the people I harmed to ever or give me or give me a pass, neither should he.

-
Old 03-24-2023, 11:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

He should have been suspended longer in my opinion

But he is make and hopefully he learns from it and moves on and does not repeat it.

Although sadly I think this will happen again

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-25-2023, 06:16 AM
Mark Rios

Surprised?!
Old 03-25-2023, 08:16 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Surprised?!
of course not just as always disappointed.

only good news is this might cost him approx $39 mill. IF he does not make the all NBA Team (because of not enough games) then he loses the kicker on the contract that when he sign an extension it is not at the threshold that the $39 mill would have been there

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-14-2023, 09:28 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
He should have been suspended longer in my opinion

But he is make and hopefully he learns from it and moves on and does not repeat it.

Although sadly I think this will happen again
Think you nailed it on the head as this was front page of Instagram and just about everywhere today. Not exactly sure how the league will like him brandishing on a live feed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6F06A614-175D-4785-9A14-587E30DAEC8C.jpeg (92.1 KB, 181 views)

Old 05-14-2023, 10:23 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Think you nailed it on the head as this was front page of Instagram and just about everywhere today. Not exactly sure how the league will like him brandishing on a live feed.
Trying so hard to be something he's not. I guess no one ever explained to him that guns aren't toys. Not a good look for the NBA with the country averaging more than one mass shooting per day. I'm guessing the suspension will be much more significant this time
Old 05-14-2023, 10:35 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Trying so hard to be something he's not. I guess no one ever explained to him that guns aren't toys. Not a good look for the NBA with the country averaging more than one mass shooting per day. I'm guessing the suspension will be much more significant this time
I'm sure Mr Morant has gone through a gun safety training class and has a valid CnC permit, fine upstanding citizen/role model that he is..
One thing for certain is a standing ovation from the idiotic Grizzlies fans after he gets back from his suspension like they did last time.

-
Old 05-14-2023, 10:46 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I'm sure Mr Morant has gone through a gun safety training class and has a valid CnC permit, fine upstanding citizen/role model that he is..
One thing for certain is a standing ovation from the idiotic Grizzlies fans after he gets back from his suspension like they did last time.
Did they really do that?! That's crazy
Old 05-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Did they really do that?! That's crazy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEsIBDoBBg

-
Old 05-14-2023, 11:39 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Classy! Not much else to cheer for that franchise, I guess
Old 05-14-2023, 11:54 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow and sadly it happened sooner than I would have thought.

He was suspended today from team activities. But since it is the off season for him now it means nothing.
The NBA is reviewing. Hopefully they can take some more substantial action but not sure what they can or cannot do based on the CBA.

But until he decides to change his circle of influence this will continue to happen. He already cost himself $39 million from the first one by missing the 25% contractor kick if he made All NBA team.

Bad PR for him (costing him potential endorsements) and bad PR for the league. But since he is a great player his opportunities will keep coming

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-14-2023, 04:05 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Bad decision after bad decision....and the VERY wrong crowd to hang with.

This is going to end very badly for Morant.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:23 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

OK, dude is an idiot, but what is the basis for a lengthy suspension? Previously, he brandished a gun while working for the Grizzlies, so he expressly violated his obligation to the team and the league. Assuming he legally owns the gun and is not at an NBA facility or otherwise engaged in NBA related business, and further assuming he is abiding by the laws of whatever state he is in at the time of the video, what exactly has he done "wrong?"

Again, very stupid. Horrible look for him. But, there are plenty of current and former players that have been photographed holding firearms. HOFer Karl Malone does it all the time.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:52 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
OK, dude is an idiot, but what is the basis for a lengthy suspension? Previously, he brandished a gun while working for the Grizzlies, so he expressly violated his obligation to the team and the league. Assuming he legally owns the gun and is not at an NBA facility or otherwise engaged in NBA related business, and further assuming he is abiding by the laws of whatever state he is in at the time of the video, what exactly has he done "wrong?"

Again, very stupid. Horrible look for him. But, there are plenty of current and former players that have been photographed holding firearms. HOFer Karl Malone does it all the time.
Comparing Karl Malone to this is a completely silly argument. Staged indoor photos or hunting photos is a world away from being in a vehicle waving a gun around on a live video feed to a rap song, especially if that car was on a road (which I can't tell). If you don't see that, then you have an agenda you are attempting to subterfuge in your comment.

In my state I would most likely be charged with brandishing and additional items if it was on a public road. Tennessee does not have a brandishing law, so there may be nothing illegal here. However, you can guarantee that no logical professional franchise in any sport provides multi-million dollar contracts or even base salary contracts without morality clauses.

On or off season every sport has faced league suspensions for issues they have not faced charges for, or had charges dropped. That is up to the player and the union to fight after the suspension is given.

The Grizzlies have a visual problem with the league offices already for having multiple players with visibility issues with both Ja and Dillion Brooks. The latter not having the talent to overlook it, is likely out of the league. Ja has a lead the length of his talent with the team, which has been shown to be pretty darn long. The league does not care a bit when they have a visibility issue about his ticket sales.

This issue is going to be front and center for the commissioner, and he is going to want to look actionable. I would expect another minimum 10 games or a full month suspension to start the season for this being second major strike. I do not think it unreasonable to foresee any third strike being a full season and a request for reinstatement.

The last cost him a supermax bonus as he didn't get voted all-NBA, as well as more in missed endorsements. This will hit his pockets again as his Nike contract that previously had to pull his commercials last time is likely going to be ended based on the strength of the response they took with Kyrie.

I honestly hope he can turn it around, this is a very bad path to be walking for him.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

We will have to let the process play out. But there is talk that the NBA will suspend him it is more a matter or how long. I do not know the CBA and I do not know the rule violation but there is talk of a minimum of 25 games. and listening to Sports talk Radio (Stephen A Smith) he is claiming there are executives inside the NBA office that 1 year but it most likely not be anywhere near that.

Also Nike has suspended their partnership with Ja Morant (not voided/ended) just suspended.

It is up to Ja if he is really going to make the right life choices. Even if he says he is sorry and working thru it (like back in March) less people will believe him.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-15-2023, 10:14 AM

To the poster who asked what he did wrong I would say the NBA might have the position that he’s not a safe person to have in an arena amongst fans therefore the league might see it in their best interests to suspend him and keep him away from both fans, stadium workers, game officials, opponents and even his own teammates.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

and remember this is not the only incident with a gun(2nd time)

and he had 2 issues the prior summer one at a mall and one related to a pickup basketball game he had with a highschool basketball player

the link below has those details

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...phyfujzeympscm

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-15-2023, 12:59 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
and remember this is not the only incident with a gun(2nd time)

and he had 2 issues the prior summer one at a mall and one related to a pickup basketball game he had with a highschool basketball player

the link below has those details

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...phyfujzeympscm
There is also the incident where multiple Pacers personnel claim that Morant's friend (the same guy who filmed the latest gun incident) pointed a laser sighting from a gun at their team bus. The NBA claims not to have found any proof of that, but that incident looks waaay worse in light of this new video. Proof that these guys are playing around with guns irresponsibly.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
There is also the incident where multiple Pacers personnel claim that Morant's friend (the same guy who filmed the latest gun incident) pointed a laser sighting from a gun at their team bus. The NBA claims not to have found any proof of that, but that incident looks waaay worse in light of this new video. Proof that these guys are playing around with guns irresponsibly.
Wow forgot about that one. That means 5 incidents or "alleged" incidents involving Ja and his friends

To many incidents, to much bad PR for him and the league. He needs to be held accountable and perhaps it needs to be longer than shorter.

But he also needs to get his life in order.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-19-2023, 07:42 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

25 Game Suspension

and a follow up video that it was a toy light gun

Cost him $40 million in bonus and now $8 million for the 25 games.

His sponsors are staying with him for

Great on the court but has issues handling himself and his image

NBAPA is against the 25 games and is discussing options

The Saga never ends

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-19-2023, 02:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Morant apparently implied to friends in a video that it was a toy gun by sending a video to people he knew of him using a fake Glock that is actually a lighter.

The setting of the first video, his friends reaction in the second video and trying to turn the camera away immediately, and the long time delay to come up with this excuse makes it seem difficult to believe.

He should have got a full season for this dangerous idiocy, in my personal opinion.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:20 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Morant apparently implied to friends in a video that it was a toy gun by sending a video to people he knew of him using a fake Glock that is actually a lighter.

The setting of the first video, his friends reaction in the second video and trying to turn the camera away immediately, and the long time delay to come up with this excuse makes it seem difficult to believe.

He should have got a full season for this dangerous idiocy, in my personal opinion.
I spent my entire teen years participating in competitive shooting with numerous state wins, both skeet and pistol precision/steel. I have a very extensive collection to this day and practice regularly and belong to 4 associations/clubs.

I would feel comfortable betting it all that that lighter line is complete and utter bs just by watching the video and comparing frame sizes and general builds. The gun he uses clearly reflects the two tone between the steel upper assembly and the polymer lower, the lighter is uniform as it is made of one single material. Anyone buying into this excuse is clueless and this makes it worse in my mind as he still is taking no responsibility.

25 games was a joke.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I spent my entire teen years participating in competitive shooting with numerous state wins, both skeet and pistol precision/steel. I have a very extensive collection to this day and practice regularly and belong to 4 associations/clubs.

I would feel comfortable betting it all that that lighter line is complete and utter bs just by watching the video and comparing frame sizes and general builds. The gun he uses clearly reflects the two tone between the steel upper assembly and the polymer lower, the lighter is uniform as it is made of one single material. Anyone buying into this excuse is clueless and this makes it worse in my mind as he still is taking no responsibility.

25 games was a joke.
Actually I wanted more but when you see the list of other suspended and # of games for their infractions the number seems fair.
However, the fact that the players association is goin to fight it to get it reduced is bad optics for them and the league.
If they fight it it will probably be reduced to 15 to 20 games. But to me bad PR for that

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-20-2023, 01:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

25 games was a joke.
I do not believe this softly given excuse either. The first video, where he is brandishing in the strip club, is obviously a different gun.

While he has a natural born right to an ability to protect himself and a constitutionally given right to carry a firearm, brandishing it in public is dangerous and illegal everywhere. Waving a gun around in a strip club is illegal in the state in which he did it.

If I was a complete moron and went out and waved a gun around a strip club and then around my friends in one of their cars, I would have law enforcement raid my house and seize my property (my state waves due process for firearm seizures), before being arrested and charged. I would probably get some brief prison time. I would lose my job and become pretty much unhirable. Morant is lucky he is so privileged and does not have to follow the rules we poors have to follow or experience any real repercussions for his stupidity and gross negligence.