NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-27-2021, 06:31 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Hey Carlton, that bowling trophy looks like a Pairpoint Co. trophy. Is that the case?
Keep it coming

Great stuff

And I am learning alot

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-18-2021, 03:53 AM

Default 1908 Speed Boat Advertising Ploy

A CLEVER CASE OF EARLY POWERBOAT RELATED ADVERTISING

Some may know my interest in pre 1920 powerboat racing I’ve taken to over the last few years…tuff to find…especially pre 1910…I was cruising eBay recently and spotted this postcard…great looking early speedboat but I’m not into postcards much…then I looked at the back…postmarked January 8th 1909, 5:30pm Detroit Michigan…signed: “W. E. Scripps”….I vaguely recalled the Scripps name was related to publishing…launched an investigation faster than a Senate Intelligence Committee looking into fake Russian Collusion….Turned out W.E. Scripps was William Edmund Scripps…born May 6, 1882 to James E. Scripps, founder of the “Detroit News” newspaper. The Detroit News started in 1873 and evolved into one of the largest media empires.

So according to the verso, penned in his own hand…it’s a photo of him in the throes of winning the National Long Distance Championship of 1908, which was held in Detroit…the P.S. even provides that the boat was going 29 MPH when the photo was taken…pretty straight forward…But let’s take a more comprehensive look…

QUOTE:
Dear Jack - This is a
hand colored photo of my speed boat “Scripps”
the American long distance champion. Going some eh?
Will see you at the New York show and tell you all about it
Yours, W.E. Scripps

P.S. I have covered a mile
course at the rate of 30.3 miles.
Going over 29 when this was taken –
UNQUOTE

FYI The term “going some” was a slang idiom of the period referencing “a high level of achievement”…

William Edmund Scripps
Birth 6 May 1882 Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan
Death 12 Jun 1952 (aged 70) Lake Orion, Oakland County, Michigan, USA
He worked almost 56 years at the Detroit News which was founded by his father James E. Scripps in 1873. He was head of the Detroit News and president of the Detroit News Publishing Company. He was also president of the Scripps Motor Company, manufacturers of marine gasoline engines. Among his many charities was the gift of his private art collection to the city of Detroit and his home which later became the Saint Mary's Residence for Girls; operated by the Daughters of Divine Charity. Mr. Scripps was an air enthusiast and founder of the Radio station WWJ. In later years he devoted much of his time to his farm Wildwood located in Lake Orion. Courtesy findagrave.com

From the bio above we see that besides being a publishing executive, J.W. Scripps was president of Scripps Motor Company…Scripps Motor Company primarily made marine engines and was in business from 1906 to 1956…Which brings us back to this photo…as you can see…the inscription beneath the boat states:

“SCRIPPS” LONG DISTANCE CHAMPION of AMERICA
SIX CYLINDER 5 ½ X 6 SCRIPPS MOTOR

STARTING TO GET THE PICTURE (PUN INTENDED)
After I learned Scripps owned a marine motors company I started to understand the postcard...that it would have been an advertising vehicle for his company...And winning the long distance title of 1908 would have been very important for his motor company’s status...I speculated the postcard was made for his personal use to promote his company...not available retail…

THE POSTCARD PHENOMENA STARTED 1907
From a little research into postcards I learned that in 1907, Kodak introduced a service called "real photo postcards," which enabled customers to make a postcard from any picture they took. Moreover I learned starting March 1, 1907, the postal service allowed senders, for the first time, to include a message on the backs of postcards…The Long Distance Championship race was held August 22nd 1908, so that would be the day the photo was taken according to the back of the postcard.….and the postcard was postmarked January 8th 1909, less than five months after the photo was taken…So we know the postcard was produced sometime between those two dates…So that means our Scripps postcard was produced at least one year, ten months and seven days after written notes on the backs of postcards became permissible…So it’s pretty early-on in the development of the postcard.

SAME POSTCARD – DIFFERENT ADDRESSEE
What I could not figure out was who was "Wm. B. Wallace the postcard was addressed to in Cheney Kansas....and moreover....who was "Jack" that the note speaks to...I researched William B. Wallace in Cheney Kansas in 1909 but found no reference…..Then I researched to see if Jack was a nick name for William….nope it wasn’t….which certainly seemed odd...And then guess what happened…I found another example of the postcard addressed to an Ellis Atwood in Marion Massachusetts…and guess what…the personalized inscription was identical…

When I got mine I looked it over quickly and all looked fine…The style of the handwriting and verbiage seem so realistic and authentic there was nothing to notice…But after seeing the identical Atwood example obviously the personalized note was machine printed and intended to appear hand written…Nothing nefarious, just a cleaver advertising ploy by Scripps that serves as an example of his business acumen…The invention of the photo postcard being less than two years old Scripps had the foresight to exploit the new phenomena in a very simple grassroots method…Why they are written to “Jack” remains a mystery…

GETS DEEPER
But the rabbit hole still had a way to go…Scripps mentioned “Will see you at the New York show and tell you all about it”….”New York show”…what New York show…Some digging turned up that the New York Boat show was held approximately five weeks after my postcard was postmarked...So the advertising ploy had a shelf life...meaning all these postcards would need to be mailed before the Feb. 1909 New York Boat show...

I dug up newspaper coverage of the show and photos...I figured there was a reasonable chance the Scripps booth might be in one of the photos...bingo...had to look hard but it's way in the back of one of them ...but I found it...see it circled in yellow below....

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-18-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:01 AM

Default Scripps Boat Related Images

Here are some related images to the Scripps Boat post above

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-18-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:50 AM

Default Speed Boat Advertising Ploy

Great story and killer post card C! I love the history on RPPC's. I always wondered when the "craze" started. Thanks for that!!

I am a little disappointed that you couldn't find and image of Scripps and "Jack" together at the Speed Boat show in NY, however! 🤣🤣
Old 09-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedodds View Post
Great story and killer post card C! I love the history on RPPC's. I always wondered when the "craze" started. Thanks for that!!

I am a little disappointed that you couldn't find and image of Scripps and "Jack" together at the Speed Boat show in NY, however! 🤣🤣
Agreed +1

and the stories continue to amaze

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-19-2021, 01:57 PM
Rob

As always, your research blows my mind!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:59 AM

Default Lord Blessed

Couple weeks ago I snagged these twenty-two 1905 issues of Power Boat News off Etsy...$5.00 each!!!!...had twenty two listings....bought um all...still can't believe it...The Lord blessed me...Basically I got the lion’s share of issues from spring thru summer 1905...at the beginning of the sport...The American Power Boat Association was formed on Feb. 1903...and the National Association of Engine and Boat Manufactures was formed in June 1904...so we're talking very early in the evolution...I'm still learning the ropes on early powerboat racing...but I speculate their could not be a more direct source of information on the subject from the period!!!!

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-20-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:16 PM

Default All Alaska Stuff

One of the things I collect is early All Alaska Sweepstakes Dog Sled Race items. The first race was 1908 and ran consecutively until 1917…then was restarted in 1983 and again in 2008...The All Alaska race was the first major sled race….before the Iditarod…It’s a very demanding sport. Although there were check points that followed the telegraph lines…between them the terrain was extreme…The teams are on their own in desolation out in the middle of nowhere basically…against the elements and wolves…Maybe today they have Sat phones but not back then…

One day maybe ten years ago I went to the San Francisco Paper Fair and found a panoramic of a dogsled team from the first All Alaska race…Over the years I’ve gathered a few more things…a program from the 1909 race and marshal’s ribbon…Then recently I spotted a dog sled harness on eBay…There was one for like $700.00…and this one was listed for $256.00 OBO…I figured it would go well with my All Alaska stuff so made a run at it…got it for $180.00…Really I was sort of apprehensive as I had never even seen a dog sled harness…so I was very curious what I was getting into…I did my due diligence and researched it best I could before pulling the trigger…found a guy on-line in Alaska who mushes and asked his opinion…basically he gave the nod…said he had one that had been in a museum…and his attorney had a collection of ten…Plus I learned of other people like me that collect early Alaska…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonhard_Seppala
One of the racers Leonhard Seppala, who won the sweepstakes in 1915, 16 and 17 is especially interesting…see below excerpt from Wikipedia
Role in the "Serum Run" of 1925
A diphtheria outbreak struck Seppala's town of Nome, Alaska in the winter of 1925. Previously unexposed children as well as adults were at risk of dying from the infection. Seppala's only child—an eight-year-old daughter named Sigrid—was also at risk. The only treatment available in 1925 was diphtheria antitoxin serum. However, the town's supply was not only insufficient but also of presumably low efficacy, being past its expiry date. The only practical way to deliver more serum to Nome in the middle of the coldest winter in 20 years was by dog sled. A relay of respected mushers was organized to expedite the delivery, and Seppala (with lead dog Togo) was chosen for the most forbidding part of the trail.[1] The serum was to be taken by train to Nenana, and from there relay teams would set out from Nome and Nenana, meeting in the middle at Nulato. The whole trail was 674 miles from Nenana to Nome, and Seppala was initially selected to cover the more than 400 miles from Nome to Nulato and back. Seppala's section of trail featured a dangerous shortcut across Norton Sound, which could save a full day of travel. It was decided that he was the most qualified of the relay mushers to attempt this shortcut. The ice on Norton Sound was in constant motion due to currents from the sea and the incessant wind. It ranged from rough hills of smashed-together ice to slippery "glare ice" polished by the wind, where it was difficult for the dogs to get a foothold. Small cracks in the ice could suddenly widen, and driver and team could be plunged into the freezing water. If the wind blew from the east, it could reach speeds as high as 70 mph (110 km/h), flipping over sleds, pushing dogs off course, and causing a windchill as low as −100 °F (−73 °C). A sustained east wind could also push the ice out to sea, and a team caught on a drifting floe could find itself stranded on open water. Seppala had taken the shortcut across the Sound several times in his career; a less-experienced musher was likelier to lose not only his life and the lives of his dogs, but also the urgently needed serum. Seppala would cross the sound each way in the race to deliver the serum...

So came the day it arrived…When I pulled it out of the box and spread it out it looked incredible…ancient …way more impressive in person than in the photo…the leather is a bit stiff and cracked but not too bad…and the rivets and attachments look like 1890…but there’s no way to tell…no makers marks…no doubt a professional harness maker made it back in the day…The seller was in Washington state and said he got it at an estate sale…so no telling its origin….it’s possible it could have found its way to Washington from Alaska…Sort of what made me get it was….even though it’s a bit stiff from age and all there’s no missing pieces…it’s all there…

Old 10-11-2021, 04:44 PM
Rob

Most eclectic collection on the planet!!!!
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 AM

Default Coincidence

I went to a western antiques show in Nevada City last Friday...Kind of a small show at the Elks Lodge...A 2 1/2 hour drive is a long way for a small show but as western antiques go....i.e. anything and everything western...mining, gambling, railroad, cowboy, Indian, guns, etc...you couldn't ask for a more target rich area than Nevada City and surrounding area...so just on that I went...didn't find anything I had to have...I seriously considered a c1900 panoramic photo of a bread company in Los Angeles with horse drawn delivery wagons...but passed...then there was this porcelain sign for harness'...kind of a coincidence since I just bought a dog sled harness...That was one of the best porcelain signs I've ever seen...had Wyatt Earp written all over it...$5,000.00 firm...If you're not familiar with porcelain signs it may not mean much but that was over the top rare...

So you collect sports display antiques, why ya going to a western show you ask...turn over every rock...anything can happen...I've found stuff at western shows before....below a theater poster with a track theme....that I found at the Grass Valley Old West show....

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187684
And same show once I found a group of snap shots of Duke Kahanamoku...see link above...

Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Most eclectic collection on the planet!!!!
100% Agree

An amazing and diverse collection

The real question is

IS there anything he does not collect?
Is there any shop or show that he actually did not buy something from?

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 PM

Default Today's snag

Old 10-16-2021, 09:15 PM

Default 04' Big Game

Here would be probably the best piece I ever pulled out of a western show…Four or five years ago I went to the Grass Valley Old West Show…A well-known advertising dealer who I knew a little was set up. He goes to me…I got a Cal Stanford football poster I’d like your opinion on…So he shows me a photo of this poster and asks what do you think it’s worth…And I’m like…dang it…there was no way out…I had to tell him…there would be no sneaking up on it…I told him point blank…it may be the best football poster I’ve ever seen and it’s probably worth $3,000.00 to $5,000.00…and I asked him if he wanted to sell it…said he was going to keep it for now…So….a year goes by and he calls me and offers it to me for $XXXX.XX…said he’d be at the upcoming Grass Valley show in a couple weeks…. I gulped, took a breath, and said I’d take it…I wasn’t taking any chances…he offered…I accepted…no negotiating…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-16-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:33 AM

WOW !!! That's my kind of poster.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rayburn View Post
WOW !!! That's my kind of poster.
+1 that Poster is a WOW WOW WOW

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 10-17-2021, 11:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree.... insanely cool poster, Carlton!

And the condition... can't improve upon the "wows" stated above. Epic pickup!
Old 10-28-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Gold Cup

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the 04" Big Game poster....here's a recent p/u...Occasionally I pick up old school restaurant ware plates if they're interesting...The Detroit Yacht Club is iconic as the center of the Gold Cup races in Detroit...World Powerboat Champion Gar Wood was their most famous member and it was basically his home base during his nine year reign as World Champion in 1917, 18’ 19’ 20, 21’ and 26’, 28’, 29’, and 30’….

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-28-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM
Rob

Good looking eggs, Carlton!
Old 10-29-2021, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Good looking eggs, Carlton!
hey i'm just glad someone's looking at the pictures...

Old 10-29-2021, 05:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
hey i'm just glad someone's looking at the pictures...
I do not know about the eggs.

I think I would have ordered the white fish my self

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 10-29-2021, 01:07 PM

Default hot roast beef...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I do not know about the eggs.

I think I would have ordered the white fish my self
I don't know that hot roast beef sandwich with mushroom gravy for a buck 25 sounds pretty good...

Old 10-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
I don't know that hot roast beef sandwich with mushroom gravy for a buck 25 sounds pretty good...
You are correct but with the white fish I can get a juice for 15 cents I can get a juice. So that is $1.15 +.15 for a total of $1.30 only 5 cents more for the juice compared to you only getting the sandwich.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-20-2021, 10:30 PM

Default Grass Valley Old West Show, et al

I took off work Thursday and Friday Nov 11th and 12th to go to two antiques shows…The Grass Valley Western Show in Grass Valley California on Thursday… and a half hour away, the 49er bottle show held in Auburn California on Friday…plus I went to the Sacramento Antiques Faire on Sunday…so that was three shows in four days….By Sunday night I didn’t want to hear anything about antiques…

Paid $80.00 for an early entry pass to get into the Old West Show on Thursday during set up….First thing I found was this c1905 die cut easel back Carter’s Union Suits sign featuring a little girl shooting a basketball…before I even got into the show…guy was set up in the parking lot selling an array of advertising…and this was setup on a stack of plastic tubs right in the center his booth…c1905 advertising signs depicting basketball are almost nonexistent…so I was all over it…had never seen an example before…When I got home I emailed Pat Vesper to see just how rare it was and Pat had never seen one…Pat has one of the best basketball collections in the world…Turns out Carter’s clothing company is still in business….they started in 1865…

So that was my first strike…I saw a few things I liked but intuition said hold off…then I spotted this fire station sign…from Station one of the El Cajon California Fire Department…built 1950 razed 1983…the seller was retired from there and had worked at the station…said he got the letters when they tore down building and had them in his collection many years…Knowing the sign’s history was invaluable…It was pretty serious money and I don’t like spending too much on non-sport pieces…however…where would I find another…so bingo pulled the trigger…wasn’t exactly sure what I’d do with it…just figured I’d sort it out later…once home I eyeballed a spot where it could go above my cupboards in my kitchen…

Next was this bulldog pillow cover…price was right $200.00…

The next day was the 49er Bottle Show…what a letdown…Before covid it was one of my favorite shows of the year…about half bottles half general antiques…and typically lots of advertising…used to be there were people selling out of their cars in the parking lot before the show opened…They hadn’t had the show I think last two for covid…so I was raring to go on this reopening one…However…Just wasn’t the same by any means…Used to be people drove right into the fairgrounds and parked wherever…no rules…total open range policy…Not this time…I got up at 4am and got there at 8:30am not wanting to miss any of the parking lot action…not to be…I go there and friend was packing up his stuff…said someone from the fairgrounds told everyone they couldn’t sell in the parking lot and to pack up…So that was stunning…what was I supposed to do for three hours till the show opened…Then a friend invited me to go to a guy’s house nearby that had stuff for sale…and I got this 1956 California motorcycle license plate….very cool it’s still on the tail mount and has a 1959 sticker so you know it’s been retired since then….

Well the bottle show was a bust…It was almost all bottles…I think the sellers that brought all the great advertising in years past were at the Old West Show…I was so disappointed afterwards I drove the half hour back to the Old West Show…and ended up getting this bronze statue of a swimmer…I think in thirty five years I’ve only seen maybe two sculptures of swimmers so it’s rare…

I picked up quite a bit more stuff online same weekend...the most important was this 1953 metal Tour de France press sign that were mounted on cars as they trailed the cyclists...The description said it was 1950...but I figured out the 50e meant "50th"...so since the TDF started in 1903 it would be from 1953, the 50th anniversary...

Like I said...by Sunday night I didn't want to see anymore antiques...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-21-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:49 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

amazing Carlton

Great stuff.

This is my most enjoyed thread seeing your discoveries

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Rob

All great stuff but I’m most impressed with the 1926 bronzes catalog. Do you own that or did you just find it in your research?
Old 11-21-2021, 12:22 PM
Matt

Hi Carlton. I love viewing your posts along with your research. In my experience, some anticipated shows or auctions can be disappointing, but if you don't go, you'll never know. That's my philosophy. Never give up the hunt!
Old 11-21-2021, 06:40 PM

Default C's World

You should open your own museum... I'd go... Heck yeah!! Amazing collection!! You must have unlimited space??
Old 11-22-2021, 05:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedodds View Post
You should open your own museum... I'd go... Heck yeah!! Amazing collection!! You must have unlimited space??
+1 agreed

Or at least have a net54 forum day at your home and invite us over

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-22-2021, 10:57 PM
Jim H

Carlton, did you find anything at the Sacramento Faire? I live in Lincoln and usually go but bowed out this month.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:19 AM
Joe Hunter

Carlton: That Stanford/Cal poster is just insane. Don't know how I missed it in your earlier post. I love the eclectic nature of your pickups.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:34 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Carlton: That Stanford/Cal poster is just insane. Don't know how I missed it in your earlier post. I love the eclectic nature of your pickups.
+1 Agreed.

You should do a show something or YouTube special along the Lines of American Pickers

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 PM

Default thanks

Thanks all for the kind words…

Rob/ooo-ribay...Yes that Argentor catalog is from my library…you have a very good eye…it’s insanely rare…never seen or heard of another…got it out of Istanbul…I speculate many jewelery stores in Vienna and other occupied regions during WWII that had them were plundered and shuttered by the Nazi’s and few of these catalogs survive…I have four or five sports statues that are in it…Speed Ice Skater…Motorcycle rider…that swimmer…a wrestling group…and I think another I forget…

Matt/Kzoo…Agree…turn over every rock is my policy…

Jim H / jimtigers65...Last Sacramento fair was weak you didn’t miss much…I did a pre-arranged trade for this large color tinted 1925 yachting photo…I’m sure it was taken on San Francisco bay…but exactly where I won’t know till I can get time to research it…The Golden Gate Bridge was opened in 1937 and east of it the Bay Bridge opened in 1936…so this photo of the bay would pre-date both…I’m thinking that might be Alcatraz on the left and Mt. Diablo on the right in the far distance…to be confirmed though…the only other thing I got was a ski trail sign…crazy I know but may fit in good with my Alpine antiques…

Joe Hunter…thanks glad you like the 04’ Big Game poster…

Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 PM

Default Pickups

As you all know one of the most exciting things in collecting is finding something you’ve never seen before…I stumbled onto this c1940 souvenir napkin dispenser on eBay recently and bought it. I had never seen one before so knew it was rare…So how do you date something like this?. You start by looking for an expert long time Indy collector…I learned there is a collector group called The National Indianapolis 500 Collectors Club. I located a former president of the club president John Darlington…part of the conversation below….

Question from Carlton:
Have you seen other examples? I’ve been collecting 35 years…never seen one…Can you tell me the year it was made and sold. Anything else you can tell me would be great to know.

Answer from John:
I too got one of these off of eBay about 15-20 years ago for less than $50 but, it was missing the holder in the back and the condition is a bit worse (see photo). Including yours and mine I've seen one or two others. Based on the style of car depicted this is ca. 1940 and as to what it cost then, a program was 25 cents and tickets were $1 and up so maybe in that ballpark - 50 cents? $1? Guess if you could afford a ticket you could afford 50 cents or $1 for a souvenir.

The fact John had only seen three including his own confirmed my intuition how rare it is…The only marking is a transfer ware label partly worn away. Fortunately you can make out “Souvenir of Indianapolis “ “ “” I would speculate there was a “500” after Indianapolis…as it’s the only thing I can think of that would fit the space left….

Below are other Indy 500 things from my collection

Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Carlton,

If you were a mother living in the suburbs west of Boston you knew about the Carter's store in Needham. It was about the size of a Kohls if I remember correctly. My mother took us there many times in the late 60's and early 70's. The original family was bought out in the 1990's. Here is a link from the Needham Historical Society about them:

https://needhamhistory.org/walk/carter-company/

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-08-2021, 04:53 AM

Carlton you never cease to amaze -- that Indy napkin dispenser is off the charts!

Greg
Old 12-08-2021, 05:25 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Must be nice to have the space for all this.

The size of many of your collectibles are amazing

Keeping sharing your pictures

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-08-2021, 05:42 AM
Matt

Carlton.......I'm a huge racing fan and that 1911 panoramic is incredible. What's the backstory on it? Where did you find it? I love the 3 distant cars coming down the front stretch with a cloud of dust being kicked up behind them....and of course, the whole track surface back then consisted of bricks, hence the 'Brickyard' nickname. Great stuff!
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Mike Kendall

As a nearly lifelong resident of Indiana, I must say that the Indianapolis 500 souvenirs, are absolutely amazing. I love seeing history preserved.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 12-08-2021, 04:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Carlton,

If you were a mother living in the suburbs west of Boston you knew about the Carter's store in Needham. It was about the size of a Kohls if I remember correctly. My mother took us there many times in the late 60's and early 70's. The original family was bought out in the 1990's. Here is a link from the Needham Historical Society about them:

How does that place tie in with Carlton’s collection?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
How does that place tie in with Carlton’s collection?
See post #73. Highlandville, MA was a section of Needham. Now known as Needham Highlands.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 12-08-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
See post #73. Highlandville, MA was a section of Needham. Now known as Needham Highlands.
Gotcha.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:07 AM

Default Back-Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Carlton.......I'm a huge racing fan and that 1911 panoramic is incredible. What's the backstory on it? Where did you find it? I love the 3 distant cars coming down the front stretch with a cloud of dust being kicked up behind them....and of course, the whole track surface back then consisted of bricks, hence the 'Brickyard' nickname. Great stuff!
Hi Matt...thanks for your interest in the1911 Indy 500 pano...Below I copy and paste a facebook post I did shortly after receiving it...

COPIED FROM A 2019 FACEBOOK POST:
http://www.sportsantiques.com/golf_stuff.htm
The Lord blessed me with some really great pieces recently….A few years ago a guy from Atlanta emailed me asking if I wanted to sell a rare Bobby Jones golf poster that I got back in 1994…I think he’s a neurosurgeon…I wasn’t interested and declined…about a month ago he emailed again wanting to buy it…again I essentially said thanks but no thanks…and that was it...just a courteous exchange…

I guess I had a lot on my plate and wasn’t thinking…because I remember about a week later it dawned on me I didn’t ask him if he had anything for sale…which you always want to do when you meet a fellow collector…it’s called shaking the bushes…So I emailed him back the following:

Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 4:02 PM
Subject: Bobby Jones exhibition poster
Hello again sir…By the way…tell me about your collection…would like to see some photos…do you just collect Golf?...attached a recent pickup…
-carlton

So he writes back that he just collects golf but had some pieces in storage…One was this NASCAR sign…said he got it out of Leland’s about 10 years ago....said he saw it while looking for golf stuff in the back of the catalog...and as much that he knew it was important and got it…plus he told me about two other racing pieces he had…two large panoramic photos of the Indianapolis 500 race…one for the very first race in 1911….the other for the second race in 1912…I got the 1911 pano and the NASCAR sign….

The guy told me the frame was later…but when I got it I could see it was about same period as the photo c1911…and the glass is wavy…which is a big deal with me…and on the NASCAR…wow…I sort of have a piece of the old south….as NASCAR was sort of born out of good’ol boys running moonshine…has very southern roots…This sign must have traveled with the NASCAR emergency crew from track to track…NASCAR started in the late 1940’s and I think this sign is from the early 1950’s…extremely rare….I doubt there is another one…

https://lelands.com/bids/the-first-i...otograph--1911

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-09-2021 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Rob

As others have said, a tour of Carlton’s museum would be awesome. So much to see!
Old 12-10-2021, 04:49 PM
Matt

Quote:
As others have said, a tour of Carlton’s museum would be awesome. So much to see!
Carlton, when are the admission tickets going on sale?
Old 12-12-2021, 12:42 AM

Default Thank you...

Quote:
Carlton,

Michael B….thank you so much for that information…I knew a little about the Carter Company but that really supplies a lot…even that William Carter’s son, William Henry, was a cricket player there in Needham Massachusetts…Here’s another example of Carter’s employing basketball as an advertising vehicle...a magazine print ad…that renown basketball collector Rob Lahammer was kind enough to send me…Interesting that basketball was invented in Springfield Massachusetts about 85 miles away from Needham Massachusetts where Carter’s was headquartered…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-12-2021 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:29 AM

Default 1893 Yale Calander

Here would likely be my last significant pickup of 2021…although you never know…in 35 years collecting I don’t recall ever seeing one of these…That’s not surprising though….considering how fragile it is…how many could survive at 17 7/8” x 13 ¾”, on cardstock. It even retains its original hang string…Subjectively it’s probably the best sports calendar I’ve ever seen…The way it’s laid out has me…with the angled team photos perched on all four corners…and iconic athletic structures…that’s Yale Field top left…the Yale boat house top right…At bottom center is the Old Yale Gymnasium that had just opened in 1893…which preceded the current Paine Whitney Gymnasium…Then there’s Yale’s bulldog mascot Handsome Dan bottom right…and a football player resembling Amos Alonzo Stag leaning on the iconic Yale Fence…presumably pictured for nostalgia’s sake since the beloved Yale Fence was removed in 1888…And as a special bonus I think that's the great Frank Hinkey second row down on the far right of the football team photo...looking meaner than everyone else...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-23-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:58 AM

Great piece as usual Carlton.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:38 AM
Rob

Yet another incredible find!
Old 12-23-2021, 06:54 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Yet another incredible find!
+1 Agree

Looks like you have a lot of fun with this also

Happy For you

Keep sharing

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 02-17-2022, 09:57 PM

Default Auburn & Wright Indian Motorcycle Spark Plug Crate

I just received these two piece and unpacked them the other day…The wooden crate is from about 1913 era…The Auburn & Wright company was subsidiary of the New York Mica & Manufacturing Company…as indicated on the viewers left side of the crate (see N. Y. M & M Co.)…Mica was a mineral used in making spark plugs similar to porcelains use in that it acted as an insulator…

I got this out of an auction with a ton of great motorcycle memorabilia….pennants, jerseys, posters, about a dozen helmets, and all sorts of great stuff…there was a lot of things I’d have liked to have gotten but I had to decide what had priority…after studying everything carefully I decided this crate was the end all and I had to have it…Auburn & Wright appear to have been around from about 1913 to 1917….that was right when motorcycle racing was just taking off…So I knew this crate was an incredible piece of history and to just let the other stuff go…It’ll go perfect with my motorcycle stuff…

I bid on four items in the auction...the crate, and this Cromwell racing helmet…Of all the helmets…and there were some great ones…This one stood out for me because of the number and name on it and the blue color was unique…I lost a footboard to an Excelsior…and a v cool flat track hot shoe with worn red paint…