NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Howard Chasser

Default after 30 years of searching - I landed my whale....and then some

Thanks for bearing with a bit of a story - it has been a 30 year search!

My “collecting life” began very early perhaps when I was about 8 or 9 (I’m 53 as I write this) when I started actively collecting comic book back issues and started reading and studying the Overstreet price guide. Baseball cards were purchased for me as early as 5 years old – they however were only for flipping and scaling in school and with friends. While I kept them for a number of years, many ended up traded at a comic book show for comic books. I did start saving “sets” at 10 years old in 1977. As best I remember I was turned onto “collecting” baseball cards when my favorite comic book shop (the original Incredible Pulp in Baldwin Long Island) opened up space in the back of his store to showcase a huge 1950’s card collection he had purchased and was offering for sale. Shortly after he sublet space to a baseball card dealer. I was quite mesmerized. I started picking up a couple of older cards (like a Nolan Ryan rookie for $5). I learned that there was a baseball card show held monthly at the Coliseum Motor Inn in Hempstead Long Island, NY. I believe I was 13 when I attended my first show there. I was blown away and a bit overwhelmed by all the “old cards”. From my comic book store, I was already familiar with CPU (Card Prices Update) price guide. I must have made my way around the room a dozen times taking in as much as I could. There was a dealer with a bunch of 1955 Topps in his display case. To this day I can’t explain why, but the Clemente rookie practically jumped out of the case at me. I saw he had it priced at $68 – I looked it up in the CPU and saw it was “valued” at $86. An important piece of information is that I had never spent more than about $5 on a baseball card before then (I did own comic books that may have been in the $20-$40 range). Further, my great Aunt was the biggest financial supporter of my collecting efforts. My mom who “didn’t get it” had taken me to the card show. What felt like an hour of begging, pleading, crying and manipulation later – my mom shelled out $48 for my Clemente rookie (Yes I still own it!). Soon after, I got a copy of the Sport Americana baseball card price guide and started learning about the collecting world of baseball cards. The food issue and test issue sets stood out as very intriguing and challenging (the idea of a challenge always enticed me) – I imagined myself one day owning them. As finances at the time were limited to the generosity of my relatives there was no way I could realistically start collecting them. In looking through them I noticed Roberto Clemente was represented in many of them – that’s how I would start!! I had the rookie already, so I could collect just the Clemente’s and have examples from all the challenging food, regional and test sets! That plan was put mostly on hold as I entered high school and college. After college I picked up collecting with a vengeance and started dealing part time at shows. I quickly started building my Clemente collection – sometimes by buying complete sets, keeping the Clemente’s and selling the others to other player collectors.

Complete Bazooka boxes with the cards intact became a sub-specialty. For those familiar – quite the challenge! With a handful of exceptions there are only single digit populations of most boxes – often times just 1, 2 or 3. Over the past 30 years I have been privileged to be the steward of complete sets of boxes from 1963, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1971 and 2 sets of 1971 numbered panels. I was able to find every Bazooka box that Clemente appeared on………….except 1960. I asked every dealer at every show I went to over all the years going to shows. I probably spoke to every major dealer in the country on multiple occasions – not only did none of them have a 1960 Clemente box, most were certain they had never seen one. I checked all major (and some minor) auction catalogs. I connected with some of the most advanced collectors in the country – still no word of a 1960 Clemente Bazooka box. A close call – about 10 years ago a dealer told me he had a 1960 Clemente and would have it at the national – I showed up excited beyond belief – ready to pay handsomely for the treasure…. He takes it out and it is a 1962 (ironically one of the easier Clemente’s to find – he DID have a 1960 Aaron box which I quickly snapped up). I noticed over the years that boxes from 1960, 1961 and 1962 (Excepting the 62 Clemente) were virtually non existent. I got a copy of and looked through the catalog for the famed Copeland collection – for those who don’t know, Copeland had one of the most incredible collections I’ve ever seen - with many super rare and one of a kind items from nineteenth century to post war, many the finest condition of their kind. He had an amazing assortment of Bazooka boxes – complete box sets from 1962-1971 (unheard of today) – only a few (6?) boxes form 1960 – no Clemente!! For years I have offered $100 to anyone who could produce a color photo or photocopy of a real 1960 box with Clemente. Still nothing. I acquired a 60 Bazooka proof sheet and 2 1960 boxes with other players – leaving me with proof of hope that a Clemente could exist. Somewhat recently a huge collection with many bazooka boxes was auctioned….. half a 1960 set!! NO CLEMENETE! Along the way I also made mental note that along with Clemente, I had never run across a 1960 complete box with Mantle or Mays either!

Friday July 24th, 2020 – I’m going through a multitude of E commerce emails I get daily with search matches and see one with a 1960 Bazooka box – not Clemente – but any 1960 box is quite unusual (as of my writing there are only 9 total known (6 unique) – likely originating from the Copeland collection- graded by any grading company. I sent off the compulsory “Do you happen to have any other items” email usually responded to with the equally familiar – “sorry – that’s it”. Well, not this time – I get an email back saying “I have a whole set” – Mic drop! For those who have had a big “find” – you know what I felt like – I’m not sure I can find the words to adequately describe it. Before getting too excited, I requested pictures and expressed interest in purchasing. A few minutes later I was looking at pictures of not just a 1960 Clemente Bazooka box, but an entire set of 1960 Bazooka boxes including 6 that had not yet been confirmed to exist!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart was pounding – my mind was racing – my eyes kept going back to look at the pictures in disbelief. Along with the pictures was a note of hesitancy to sell the whole set. Negotiation ensued over what felt like months but was really only a week (One of the longest weeks in my life!).

Friday July 31st - We made a deal for me to purchase the Clemente and Mantle boxes (I have a mini collection of them too) and are currently in talks for me to broker the sale of the rest of the boxes.

Saturday August 1st – I receive tracking information that my package is en route

Monday August 3rd 7:43AM– I get tracking information that the package is waiting for me at the post office!

Monday August 3, 2020 12:54 PM - I get back from the post office with my package – open it up and stare, still in disbelief that I now own a Clemente box which I have been searching for the past 30 years!!! Still on a cloud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960-1.jpg (84.9 KB, 1698 views)
File Type: jpg 1960-2.jpg (84.0 KB, 1680 views)
File Type: jpg 1960-3.jpg (85.4 KB, 1689 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Congratulations! Great story and great box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Al Richter

Congrats Howard. Don't cut it
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Dan Bretta

Congrats Howard. Your tenacity paid off.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:47 PM
Jeff

Fabulous!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Great story!! Congratulations!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Congrats Howard. Don't cut it
Took the words out of my snarky mouth...
Old 08-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Hank Thomas

Great story, what a thrill! What's your new whale?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Those are in great condition. Nice pickups.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Jamie

enjoyed the story thanks for sharing...
Old 08-03-2020, 03:20 PM
MikeHealer

Thanks for sharing a great story. Congratulations.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Those Coliseum Motor Inn shows were great. I loved those as a kid.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I don't know. Someone has written on it. I also see some damage on the right hand flap and a stain on the back of the left flap. I guess you will have to sell it until a better one comes along.......

Congratulations. Perseverance pays off.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Great story, what a thrill! What's your new whale?
I have been wishing for this one for so long, I'm not sure that there is anything I know of that could take its place.......There are 2 items that may/may not exist that could be the new whales - 1962 Jello Clemente complete box or 1962 Post Canadian complete box with Clemente. I have never seen either one (I have seen other players in box form for both issues)

While either of them would be incredible finds, I think this Bazooka box will forever be the Jewel in the crown of my Clemente collection. For those who know my collection - that says a lot!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Joe Drouillard

Congratulations. Loved reading your story!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats on a great pick up. Love stories like this.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:59 PM

Awesome Howard. Congratulations! Very cool pickup and great story. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Amazing story and great pickup! Was there any point in the negotiation you thought you wouldn't get it?

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Derek Granger

Thanks for the story. I'm glad to see there was a happy ending. I was getting nervous when you started posting tracking information from USPS. If that were me, that would be "the one" that USPS would lose in transit.

Congrats on the pick-up! Those examples look fantastic!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Wow congrats...I remember you posting about looking for this box... Awe and Some!

Ricky Y
Old 08-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

This is a great story. Congrats!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Andy

Nice! Congrats!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Very nice to see a collector find that piece that he searched years/decades for. Never give up, things will find you!

Congrats!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 PM
David Buckingham

Great story!! Congratulations on finally getting those.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:30 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

This is why I come to this site....great stuff.
311-407 PSA 6
Old 08-03-2020, 05:46 PM

Congratulations, Howard, I am thrilled for you! First-rate pick-ups all the way! Thanks for sharing your story and feelings. My day was hard at work, but this perked me up big time. Those are sure nice cards of all those players, particularly Mr. Clemente and Mr. Mantle.

As I recall, PSA grades complete Bazooka boxes. That might be something worthwhile to consider. Regardless, enjoy your cardboard cloud 9 high. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-03-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:56 PM

Default Landing the whale...

Congratulations, what a feeling that must have been! And since Roberto is my favorite player, bonus points Great story! Trent King
Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Nice story and incredible boxes.. Two of my favorite players, Clemente and Mantle..
Old 08-03-2020, 06:41 PM

Default Wow!

Those are fantastic! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Howard Chasser

Thank you one and all for sharing the "18 cent find" with me - awesome to have a place where people "get it" and can be excited too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Amazing story and great pickup! Was there any point in the negotiation you thought you wouldn't get it?
The whole week I was waiting for him to get back to me - I had approached it with a couple of options - buying the whole set outright or buying the 2 I was willing to offer really strong on and offering to broker the rest. There wasn't a lot of communication over that week - just a lot of waiting with me unsure of what was going on in the background. Felt pretty secure once I paid for them, then just sweated it out through the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

As I recall, PSA grades complete Bazooka boxes. That might be something worthwhile to consider. Regardless, enjoy your cardboard cloud 9 high. --- Brian Powell
PSA and Bazooka boxes are like oil and water. They do grade them, but are so ridiculous in the way they grade them. I just sent in 5 nrmt uncirculated (never saw a store shelf) boxes from different years - they came back with grades from 3 to 5! It is not the first time and in my experience the rule rather than the exception. I think they must be deducting for the scoring of the cardboard by the flaps or something - just nuts! I expect these would probably come back as 1's -2's (MK because of the 18 cent price written on them) - all of that said, I will probably send them purely so they can be noted somewhere in the collecting history books.

Last edited by hcv123; 08-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Mike Reid

Congrats. Those are awesome boxes!!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:07 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Very Cool

Congrats! Great Story, can you show us the '55 Clemente you bugged mom for in the '70s? I can actually relate to that part of the story well...
GB
Old 08-03-2020, 08:17 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Big time grab. Congrats on an amazing find!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

First of all, congratulations.

Finding complete Bazooka boxes can be extremely difficult. For us hockey guys in Canada, finding ANY complete 1971-72 Bazooka hockey box would be a dream come true. The Bobby Orr complete box alone is probably worth over $20,000 USD now.

The box above was once owned by Canadian collector Larry Kerrigan, but he sold it a few years ago.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

THAT's what it's all about! The search... the journey...
It took so much more than just money to acquire your dream item.
Great story and Congratulations!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Very familiar with Larry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
First of all, congratulations.

Finding complete Bazooka boxes can be extremely difficult. For us hockey guys in Canada, finding ANY complete 1971-72 Bazooka hockey box would be a dream come true. The Bobby Orr complete box alone is probably worth over $20,000 USD now.

The box above was once owned by Canadian collector Larry Kerrigan, but he sold it a few years ago.
and that box. Great RARE box - I believe there are at least 2 known with ORR - but that one is far and away the nicer of the 2.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Albert Bee

Default story

Howard,
incredible story of the " hunt " of a collector !!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 AM
octavio ranzola

Met howard and we did a deal on some cards ,,great person,,will stay in contact with him. My heart was racing reading this .I own boxes myself but wow howard happy for you man enjoy.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Congratulations on a great find!! A little older than you 59, but I have always been drawn to complete boxes of food issues. I can remember coming across 4 1959 Bazooka panels at a flea market across from peddlers village in PA. This was shortly after the Sports collectors bible came out so I knew what they were and knew the $1 each was a good deal. That led me to a lengthy discussion about Bazooka's with John Ramirez at a small show near Silver Spring MD., who suggested that I keep an eye out for 1960 Bazooka's because he felt they were more difficult than the 59's. And in pre internet days I agree they were very difficult to come across slightly more accessible today but the Boxes you landed are Crown Jewels in any Bazooka collection. Again Congratulations.
Jonathan
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM
Bob Davies

Great story on the hunt and the catch. I, like many others, have stories on missed opportunities that are now out of reach. Nice to hear of someone who made their score.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:07 PM

Default wow!!!

Great story!!!

I hope I can post one day hopeful I will complete my whale search of the "Wags"
Old 08-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When are you going to sell it?

Nice story. Congrats!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Scott Russell

Wow Howard, that is SO cool. I know at the last Philly show you talked about the fact that you thought it would never happen. Can't imagine how it feels! Some day when I get my T220 Silver Corbett and Donovan maybe I will, but even those, at least I know they exist.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-04-2020, 07:19 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Very nice story!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 PM
Scott Smith

What a great story!! Congratulations!! Those boxes are beautiful!!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 AM

Default 1960 Clemente Bazooka Box - Congratulations!

Great story, Howard. Congratulations. I can personally relate to this. I am always on the hunt for Brooks things and you've helped me there. I hope to someday find a 1965 Brooks Bazooka Box with Elston Howard and Ron Santo. I have the panel and single card, but not sure if a box exists. Probably not as rare as the 1960 Clemente. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Thanks for bearing with a bit of a story - it has been a 30 year search!

My “collecting life” began very early perhaps when I was about 8 or 9 (I’m 53 as I write this) when I started actively collecting comic book back issues and started reading and studying the Overstreet price guide. Baseball cards were purchased for me as early as 5 years old – they however were only for flipping and scaling in school and with friends. While I kept them for a number of years, many ended up traded at a comic book show for comic books. I did start saving “sets” at 10 years old in 1977. As best I remember I was turned onto “collecting” baseball cards when my favorite comic book shop (the original Incredible Pulp in Baldwin Long Island) opened up space in the back of his store to showcase a huge 1950’s card collection he had purchased and was offering for sale. Shortly after he sublet space to a baseball card dealer. I was quite mesmerized. I started picking up a couple of older cards (like a Nolan Ryan rookie for $5). I learned that there was a baseball card show held monthly at the Coliseum Motor Inn in Hempstead Long Island, NY. I believe I was 13 when I attended my first show there. I was blown away and a bit overwhelmed by all the “old cards”. From my comic book store, I was already familiar with CPU (Card Prices Update) price guide. I must have made my way around the room a dozen times taking in as much as I could. There was a dealer with a bunch of 1955 Topps in his display case. To this day I can’t explain why, but the Clemente rookie practically jumped out of the case at me. I saw he had it priced at $68 – I looked it up in the CPU and saw it was “valued” at $86. An important piece of information is that I had never spent more than about $5 on a baseball card before then (I did own comic books that may have been in the $20-$40 range). Further, my great Aunt was the biggest financial supporter of my collecting efforts. My mom who “didn’t get it” had taken me to the card show. What felt like an hour of begging, pleading, crying and manipulation later – my mom shelled out $48 for my Clemente rookie (Yes I still own it!). Soon after, I got a copy of the Sport Americana baseball card price guide and started learning about the collecting world of baseball cards. The food issue and test issue sets stood out as very intriguing and challenging (the idea of a challenge always enticed me) – I imagined myself one day owning them. As finances at the time were limited to the generosity of my relatives there was no way I could realistically start collecting them. In looking through them I noticed Roberto Clemente was represented in many of them – that’s how I would start!! I had the rookie already, so I could collect just the Clemente’s and have examples from all the challenging food, regional and test sets! That plan was put mostly on hold as I entered high school and college. After college I picked up collecting with a vengeance and started dealing part time at shows. I quickly started building my Clemente collection – sometimes by buying complete sets, keeping the Clemente’s and selling the others to other player collectors.

Complete Bazooka boxes with the cards intact became a sub-specialty. For those familiar – quite the challenge! With a handful of exceptions there are only single digit populations of most boxes – often times just 1, 2 or 3. Over the past 30 years I have been privileged to be the steward of complete sets of boxes from 1963, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1971 and 2 sets of 1971 numbered panels. I was able to find every Bazooka box that Clemente appeared on………….except 1960. I asked every dealer at every show I went to over all the years going to shows. I probably spoke to every major dealer in the country on multiple occasions – not only did none of them have a 1960 Clemente box, most were certain they had never seen one. I checked all major (and some minor) auction catalogs. I connected with some of the most advanced collectors in the country – still no word of a 1960 Clemente Bazooka box. A close call – about 10 years ago a dealer told me he had a 1960 Clemente and would have it at the national – I showed up excited beyond belief – ready to pay handsomely for the treasure…. He takes it out and it is a 1962 (ironically one of the easier Clemente’s to find – he DID have a 1960 Aaron box which I quickly snapped up). I noticed over the years that boxes from 1960, 1961 and 1962 (Excepting the 62 Clemente) were virtually non existent. I got a copy of and looked through the catalog for the famed Copeland collection – for those who don’t know, Copeland had one of the most incredible collections I’ve ever seen - with many super rare and one of a kind items from nineteenth century to post war, many the finest condition of their kind. He had an amazing assortment of Bazooka boxes – complete box sets from 1962-1971 (unheard of today) – only a few (6?) boxes form 1960 – no Clemente!! For years I have offered $100 to anyone who could produce a color photo or photocopy of a real 1960 box with Clemente. Still nothing. I acquired a 60 Bazooka proof sheet and 2 1960 boxes with other players – leaving me with proof of hope that a Clemente could exist. Somewhat recently a huge collection with many bazooka boxes was auctioned….. half a 1960 set!! NO CLEMENETE! Along the way I also made mental note that along with Clemente, I had never run across a 1960 complete box with Mantle or Mays either!

Friday July 24th, 2020 – I’m going through a multitude of E commerce emails I get daily with search matches and see one with a 1960 Bazooka box – not Clemente – but any 1960 box is quite unusual (as of my writing there are only 9 total known (6 unique) – likely originating from the Copeland collection- graded by any grading company. I sent off the compulsory “Do you happen to have any other items” email usually responded to with the equally familiar – “sorry – that’s it”. Well, not this time – I get an email back saying “I have a whole set” – Mic drop! For those who have had a big “find” – you know what I felt like – I’m not sure I can find the words to adequately describe it. Before getting too excited, I requested pictures and expressed interest in purchasing. A few minutes later I was looking at pictures of not just a 1960 Clemente Bazooka box, but an entire set of 1960 Bazooka boxes including 6 that had not yet been confirmed to exist!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart was pounding – my mind was racing – my eyes kept going back to look at the pictures in disbelief. Along with the pictures was a note of hesitancy to sell the whole set. Negotiation ensued over what felt like months but was really only a week (One of the longest weeks in my life!).

Friday July 31st - We made a deal for me to purchase the Clemente and Mantle boxes (I have a mini collection of them too) and are currently in talks for me to broker the sale of the rest of the boxes.

Saturday August 1st – I receive tracking information that my package is en route

Monday August 3rd 7:43AM– I get tracking information that the package is waiting for me at the post office!

Monday August 3, 2020 12:54 PM - I get back from the post office with my package – open it up and stare, still in disbelief that I now own a Clemente box which I have been searching for the past 30 years!!! Still on a cloud.
What a great story! I would call it a Boyer box for obvious reasons. My favorite player from my childhood. Congratulations!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

I so rarely post on here anymore but I am an absolute sucker for stories like this. Congratulations and great story!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Awesome story. Can’t imagine the feeling you had when you first saw and now you own it! Congrats
Old 08-05-2020, 10:29 PM
Kevin

Congratulations Howard! That’s got to be a great feeling to finally land the whale.