NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Pre-black Tuesday photos

The old PRE-WWII examples on the card side are great. Let's show what original baseball photography has to offer in the PRE-GREAT DEPRESSION era. Let's set the date on black Tuesday or prior(Oct 29,1929). Why this date? Well, it just sounded "good". Plus, it was before wire photos really took off
(images were sent/received instantly). The baseball photography world was not a "well oiled machine" yet and I find there are far few great/important images(than in 30s-70s). IMO
Anyway...anyone have any personal examples to share?

I will start with my most recent pickup(1915 Red Sox pitching staff/Ruth) underwood and underwood photo as well as an original 1915 photo of ruth and teammates in the underwood and underwood archives looking through photos(looking at mine of themselves??-prob not but cool to think about it!!).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915RUTHFRONTwater.jpg (67.3 KB, 333 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:44 PM
T0NY @

Fabulous idea for a thread Ben. Here's an original 8x10 photo I can share of the Red Sox & Tigers battling it out somewhere between 1901 and 1911 at the old Huntington Avenue Grounds ballpark in Boston. Now tell me! Can you think of a better way to watch a game than this?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

How about a little pre-game entertainment? Here's Nick Altrock and Al Schacht performing on the field prior to Game 3 of the 1924 World Series:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Altrock & Schacht - Game 3 of 1924 World Series_1.jpg (75.4 KB, 333 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Cool

Tony, that photo is so neat. The crowd!! Wowsers... they were definitely not worried about a screaming foul ball that is for sure. It is very telling of the times. I love these old stadium shots. Thanks to Lance for providing the entertainment . I focus on portraits or close ups of single players(mostly). But maybe I'll need to add a couple great stadium shots.

Here are a some more Original Type 1s from my collection from the era:

1)1908 HONUS WAGNER by G.G. BAIN(batting lefty-RARE)-some say its wags and soem say it is not. You be the judge. Below it is a Honus Wagner by Paul Thompson
2) 1916 WALTER JOHNSON by G.G. BAIN
3) 1917 TY COBB by G.G. BAIN
4) 1913 CHRISTY MATHEWSON (10X13 OVERSIZED PORTRAIT)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagnerthompson3water.jpg (32.2 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg bainy1.jpg (52.6 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg cobb_bainy.jpg (76.5 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg matty2.jpg (69.3 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Ciaran

Have many pre-Black Tuesday photos and, although I've shown this one before and it's not necessarily one of the more valuable, it remains one of my favourites. Gehrig + Ruth @ Westpoint, 1927:

Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
Have many pre-Black Tuesday photos and, although I've shown this one before and it's not necessarily one of the more valuable, it remains one of my favourites. Gehrig + Ruth @ Westpoint, 1927:

It is beautiful! I bid on this one but can't remember where... was that in HYEE AUCTIONS or Legendary? It is an awesome photo and wish I would have added to my collection. Now that I think through this.. it must have been HYEE right? I guess this because I must have had to be choosey or spent too much on ones ending first so I could not go after strong. Thanks for posting.. it is absolutely incredible. Doesn't get much better than Babe and Lou together in 1927. LOL @ that goofball behind Ruth.

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
It is beautiful! I bid on this one but can't remember where... was that in HYEE AUCTIONS or Legendary? It is an awesome photo and wish I would have added to my collection. Now that I think through this.. it must have been HYEE right? I guess this because I must have had to be choosey or spent too much on ones ending first so I could not go after strong. Thanks for posting.. it is absolutely incredible. Doesn't get much better than Babe and Lou together in 1927. LOL @ that goofball behind Ruth.
Yes, that photo came up in a HYEE auction. For whatever reason, I love it. For some years now, I've had a beautiful shot of the Yankees line-up for an exhibition game @ Westpoint in 1943 and had always been a beautiful image to me so was grateful to get the opportunity to pick-up a photo of Gehrig & Ruth there some years previously.

Here's a rookie photo (1926) of Lazzeri who, in my modest opinion, is the most photographic of all baseball players:

Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Here's a rookie photo (1926) of Lazzeri who, in my modest opinion, is the most photographic of all baseball players.
I must agree Lazzeri always makes a great photo. You have a beautiful photo there. Have you ever looked into removing the editorial marks? Here is my 1926 rookie by G.G. Bain along with Ruth and Gehrig no doubt taken on the same day.

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Jeff

Default Herb Pennock - Phila A's

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I must agree Lazzeri always makes a great photo. You have a beautiful photo there. Have you ever looked into removing the editorial marks? Here is my 1926 rookie by G.G. Bain along with Ruth and Gehrig no doubt taken on the same day.
Beautiful shots there.

I haven't really considered removing those editorial marks. Not to say that I wouldn't someday but don't feel the need just now and, if I did, I'd likely need to do it professionally as I wouldn't trust my own skill set.

I currently have 4 portrait / individual photos of Lazzeri from 1926 and, in hindsight, have regretted not being more aggressive in bidding when others have come up.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Default Charlie Faust ca. 1911

One last one for today, that I enjoy more for the backstory than anything:

Charlie "Victory" Faust was a mascot for John McGraw's New York Giants. Faust, who appears to have been delusional, came to McGraw during 1911 season and claimed that a fortune teller had predicted that the Giants would win the pennant if Faust pitched for them. McGraw, who was very superstitious, kept Faust on the team for the remainder of the season. With Faust as a mascot, the Giants went on a tear, winning 40 of their last 53 games and valuting from 3 1/2 games back to win the pennant by 7 1/2 games. After the flag was secured, Faust was allowed to appear in two meaningless games, where he allowed 1 run in 2 innings and scored twice. He continued as mascot, though not in uniform, in the 1912 season and then was cut loose. Faust died of tuburculosis in an insane asylum in Washington in 1915.

Can you imagine ANY manager nowadays adding someone to the team, let alone actually allowing them to pitch in a game, just because they said, "Miss Cleo said you would win if you let me pitch?!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie Faust.jpg (69.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
T0NY @

Thanks for the kind words Ben. Your portrait shots are amazing. Me, I do love the stadium shots. Here's another I can share. Very large original 11x14 shot of the Erie baseball team playing at an unidentified ball park circa 1910-ish. What I really love about this photo is all the detail that can be found on this glorious day. From the elevated railway in the outfield over looking the game working as a grandstand so many by standers can enjoy play, to the band behind home plate playing their hearts out. Just a lot going on here. Oh and the large tree's out in center field that are in play are a nice touch as well. Good times!!

Now nicely framed and safe from the elements.......
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Thanks for the kind words Ben. Your portrait shots are amazing. Me, I do love the stadium shots. Here's another I can share. Very large original 11x14 shot of the Erie baseball team playing at an unidentified ball park circa 1910-ish. What I really love about this photo is all the detail that can be found on this glorious day. From the elevated railway in the outfield over looking the game working as a grandstand so many by standers can enjoy play, to the band behind home plate playing their hearts out. Just a lot going on here. Oh and the large tree's out in center field that are in play are a nice touch as well. Good times!!

Now nicely framed and safe from the elements.......
Tony,

Awesome photos!!! Is that tree present in right field (3rd photo from top) in play? If so, would make for some interesting calls and catches.

Craig
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM
T0NY @

Thanks Craig. Yep, in play and quite the obstacle if you ask me. I see a total of 4 tree's in play in the outfield, but this large one really stands out. I would think any pop up to the outfield would have every player watching over their shoulder for a possible collision with that thing. And who say's player's of yesteryear didn't have skills of today's players!!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Jeff, that Herbie is fantastic.. crystal clear.. wonderful image. Thanks for showing us.

Lance, the story of Charlie definitely makes me look at the photo harder and appreciate it more. I hope you have mor eto add

Below are two of my Joe Jacksons

1) "Trophies" by Paul Thompson
-Joe is shown with two trophies he won in 1917, the trophy on the right he won in Boston by throwing a baseball 396 feet, in competition against the best long-distance throwers in the American and National leagues. He broke all records for throwing a baseball the farthest. The trophy on the left is for outbatting Ty Cobb in a critical series in 1917. The picture of Joe was taken will he was traveling back to his native South after the baseball season , he stopped long enough between trains to pose for this picture. These trophies are still in the Jackson family..............

2) By GG BAIN -used for the 1914 B18 blanket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe_Jackson_128water.jpg (56.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg joejacksonbainwater.jpg (44.8 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Photo

Those photos of Jackson are awesome Ben, it was a pleasure talking to you today as well!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Jeff

Default Eddie Collins and a Conlon HR Baker

Someone with better knowledge of uniforms than I can narrow this down, I'm certain this is late teens to early 20's.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

The Eddie Collins is from 1926, it's the only year the Sox used that particular road uniform.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
The Eddie Collins is from 1926, it's the only year the Sox used that particular road uniform.
Thanks Gary!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM

Here's Hans LObert on Opening Day 1915.

Bob Ewing and Monte Beville 1903

The Babe signing some bats for soldiers

Last edited by packs; 05-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Packs, great stuff...a wonderful photo of Ruth signing a boat load of items...weird how people are so surprised that there are so many Ruth signed items ou there. I have seen so many photos with piles of baseballs he was signing. This one is neat/special because of the bats. I love it!

Jeff, I love the Baker Conlon!!! Here are a couple on my Eddie Collins...

1) by GG BAIN
2) by CHARLIE CONLON

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Jeff

Nice pair of Collins.'
Handsome devil wasn't he?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Mark Rios

great photos guys!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Jeff

Default Paul Thompson Bakers

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
T0NY @

Great pics everyone. Is it just me or does every photo you see of Baker look like he's got something sneaky up his sleeve? His facial expression never changed.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Jim Schneider

Default Real Photo Postcards

A couple of real photo postcards....I never hear of RPPCs being referred to as Type I photos, they meet the criteria don't they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0018.jpg (77.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Scanf0001.jpg (75.6 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Real photo postcards can be type 1 photos but not all of them. All the amtuer ones are, but some are "technically" not. It ALL depends on whether it was developed from the original negative or not, a hang up most people dont care about to be 100% honest with you. People use "Type 1" interchangably with "orignal" or "vintage" but A LOT of photos (included many ancapsulated as type 1) are not actually type 1 under the strictest definitions.

Having said that, you postcard of Fenway with the players identified is certainly a type 1, assuming the back is of the proper age and it was not developed later on. Your Hilltop park probably is not, depending on whether the lettering was applied to the negative or whether it was developed, words added to a print and then a photo taken of that print to make others with the words on it. Those are some ornate letters to have been either etched, or written backwards on a glass playe negative for it to be a real "type 1". It will grade a "type 1" for sure but I bet it is actually not which is why that system is flawed.

(note: I dont hate the system and Henry and others who helped develop it did the best with what knoweldge they had at the time, but there are loop holes in it that can make Lots of problems if you get hung up on the number system when buying postcards, composites, and news service photos)

Rhys
Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Two by Paul Thompson: Buck Weaver and Armando Marsans.

The Waner brothers - looks like Thompson, but I don't know who took it.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Real photo postcards can be type 1 photos but not all of them. All the amtuer ones are, but some are "technically" not. It ALL depends on whether it was developed from the original negative or not, a hang up most people dont care about to be 100% honest with you. People use "Type 1" interchangably with "orignal" or "vintage" but A LOT of photos (included many ancapsulated as type 1) are not actually type 1 under the strictest definitions.

Having said that, you postcard of Fenway with the players identified is certainly a type 1, assuming the back is of the proper age and it was not developed later on. Your Hilltop park probably is not, depending on whether the lettering was applied to the negative or whether it was developed, words added to a print and then a photo taken of that print to make others with the words on it. Those are some ornate letters to have been either etched, or written backwards on a glass playe negative for it to be a real "type 1". It will grade a "type 1" for sure but I bet it is actually not which is why that system is flawed.

(note: I dont hate the system and Henry and others who helped develop it did the best with what knoweldge they had at the time, but there are loop holes in it that can make Lots of problems if you get hung up on the number system when buying postcards, composites, and news service photos)

Rhys
Thank you for taking the time to respond and providing details of what constitutes a Type I photo.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Jeff

Rhys,
Agreed that I no longer get too hung up with the "squishiness" of the "Type 1/2/3" designations. My issue is that they are oft/mostly misused by sellers trying to hype and overvalue their stock.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post

Rhys
+1

A couple other thoughts on the subject:

I might also add that there are at least some instances where a more ornate design can be applied to the negative by stamping directly onto the negative, in which case the stamped image or text appears white in the developed photo due to the ink of the stamp blocking light from passing through the negative in that area during the developing process. George Burke applied his studio stamp to his earlier images in this way so that it appears in the obverse image, and I have one of his early negatives (when he was still using glass plates) that has his stamp applied this way. I have also had several of his 8x10's though that were hand-lettered as Rhys describes for duplication, along with the matching postcard-sized 2nd Generation print that then had the lettering "in" the image after being re-shot. In that case, with the reprint being smaller, there was little to no noticeable degradation of the image, though you could in fact see faint traces of the guide lines he laid down on the original so that his lettering would be straight.

In looking at the print that appears in a photo, if the print is black and very neat, it seems to me that there would be very little chance of that having been done on the original negative (since to have black text, you would have to etch, scratch, or otherwise completely remove any obscuring matter so that light would pass through the negative cleanly to produce the black text). With white text, it's still more likely for it to be written (or painted) on the original photo and re-shot, especially the neater the printing (as Rhys also pointed out).

Now, enough discussion, and back to our regularly-scheduled show-and-tell

This one is of Joe Schepner of the 1929 Knoxville Smokies, which goes along with my penchant for obscure and minor league player images, as well as being tied to the East Tennessee city that I grew up in:

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 05-05-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Ciaran

Not the most aesthetically pleasing of photos and has been pre-loved over the years but, given the year and the Manhattan location, fits in nicely with the theme.

Opening day at the Polo Grounds, April 1929 (Phillies @ Giants).

Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Not the most aesthetically pleasing of photos and has been pre-loved over the years but, given the year and the Manhattan location, fits in nicely with the theme.

Opening day at the Polo Grounds, April 1929 (Phillies @ Giants).
Neat skyline in that one! I had to stare at it for several seconds before I finally decided that there wasn't a large rectangle cut from the top of the photo. It's still messing with my eyes, and I think it's time for bed...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 AM

Default Jesse Barnes 1922

Great thread guys!

I've shown this photo on net54 before, but here is an original photo of 1922 no-hit pitcher Jesse Barnes of the NY Giants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jesse Barnes 1922 photo- no hitter.jpg (73.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Here's Hans LObert on Opening Day 1915.

Bob Ewing and Monte Beville 1903

The Babe signing some bats for soldiers

Packs, Great picture of the Babe signing those bats. If you would have asked me yesterday I would have said it was doubtful the Babe signed any bats and if he did it might have been one or two, but this really sheds new light on that. Very cool.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Great thread guys!

I've shown this photo on net54 before, but here is an original photo of 1922 no-hit pitcher Jesse Barnes of the NY Giants.
Nice one Scott! I love shots of players in those old sweaters.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM
chris

Dick Hoblitzell - Spring Training with Cincinnati 1913

Hal Chase - Circa 1918 (Conlon)

Edd Roush 1923 (Bain)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1913_ reds player_ spring training 5.jpg (72.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg hal chase 1a.jpg (72.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (71.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Willie Keeler, 1903:

Hilltop Park, 1904:

Some Highlanders on Lookout Mountain, Tenn., in 1908. (Photo labelled by Neal Ball.)

Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Hank Thomas

The guys sitting on that rock are nuts!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM

"The guys" include Willie Keeler, Hal Chase, Clark Griffith, and Neal Ball.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Graig Kreindler

Always loved that Keeler shot, David. It's definitely one that I have on the queue to paint - he had such a wonderful face. I have a great shot of Hal Chase from the same session/day, too. I was able to land similar ones from the Chicago History Museum, but of course, those were modern reprints.

Can't beat those old Highlanders uniforms, either. It's amazing to think that it changed virtually every year.

Bravo!

Graig
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks, Graig. If you're gonna paint it, I'll buy it!
BTW, you're in France! Get off the net! (Yeah, yeah, I know it's one in the morning. But still.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-06-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
"The guys" include Willie Keeler, Hal Chase, Clark Griffith, and Neal Ball.
Amazing photo, I was really enjoying the Hilltop photo and then scrolled down
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Graig Kreindler

David,

But...ahhh...err...You're right. I got nothin'.

Graig
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Nice photos everyone. David... that rock photo is absolutely Killer.

I should probably clean this one up a bit and take a high res scan as this one doesn't do it justice(editorial marks around body ect).

It is the year of the Great Depression dated March 11, 1929.

I love it as it shows a bit of the development process(clamps on the negative) and also shows a photographer in the background taking a pic of the babe and seemingly you! There should be(or was) another photo out there taken of the Babe taking a pic of this photographer taking a picture. Say that ten times fast...
It would be cool to find that photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babywatery.jpg (37.8 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM

I'm glad people are digging the Babe signing bats photo. It's my favorite photo. Not only for the Babe, but it was taken on my birthday July 22.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Kenny

1920 World Series
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z 1920 ws scores.jpg (73.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballist68 View Post
Dick Hoblitzell - Spring Training with Cincinnati 1913

Hal Chase - Circa 1918 (Conlon)

Edd Roush 1923 (Bain)
Wow Chris! There are some monster photos in this group.
The photo of Hal Chase especially is AWESOME!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Willie Keeler, 1903:

Hilltop Park, 1904:

Some Highlanders on Lookout Mountain, Tenn., in 1908. (Photo labelled by Neal Ball.)

Great photos David!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks, Scott.