NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 04-19-2023, 05:30 PM

Default Michael Jordan future card prices?

When Kobe Bryant passed away, his cards on ebay went through the roof. im wondering when/if michael jordan passes away, do you think we will see the same huge increase in price of his cards like we did with kobe? I ask because he is hands downs the most recognizable player on the planet during our lifetime. I also ask because I wonder how many people are hoarding jordan cards for that exact reason. (to cash out on a high pay day)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jordan is 60. This is silly. Bryant died suddenly, unexpectedly and dramatically. And any spike was temporary.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:44 PM

Sorry my friend if you think it’s silly but I think it’s a legit question especially for those that don’t collect basketball mainly and are hoping to learn from the seasoned veteran basketball collectors here. Thank you
Old 04-19-2023, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Sorry my friend if you think it’s silly but I think it’s a legit question especially for those that don’t collect basketball mainly and are hoping to learn from the seasoned veteran basketball collectors here. Thank you
I would not buy Jordan cards for the reason that he may die 20 or 25 or 30 years from now, if that is the question. As the GOAT and the most popular athlete still in the hobby, he's probably a reasonably safe buy though, especially as the market has dropped recently. But buy good cards, early ones or popular inserts. Don't buy cards that are essentially commons.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:52 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

He has a life expectancy of another 20+ years. So, it is unlikely the bulk of Michael Jordan card holders are actively banking on a death spike. Also, FWIW, when players like Hank Aaron and Bill Russell passed recently, there was an extremely brief window where prices spiked, but prices went back to normal shortly thereafter.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:55 PM

Thanks guys,
I appreciate your thoughts and advice on this. I ask this question because I have about 20-25 graded cards of his sitting in a box and I was wondering if I should sell them now or hold them for the future (20-25 years from now) in hopes of making more money like people did in the Kobe spike of prices.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Thanks guys,
I appreciate your thoughts and advice on this. I ask this question because I have about 20-25 graded cards of his sitting in a box and I was wondering if I should sell them now or hold them for the future (20-25 years from now) in hopes of making more money like people did in the Kobe spike of prices.
My guess is the S and P 500 will go up over 25 years more than those Jordan cards. Assuming you have a brokerage account, sell the cards and put the money into SPY or the equivalent.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:14 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I imagine that depends on what you would do with the money. If you are going to feed your family with the proceeds, seems like a clear "sell now." If you are going to use it to create memories for yourself and/or your family, "sell now" still gets my vote. If you are going to use the money to buy other cards that you want more, that is a third vote for "sell now."

If you are going to sell them to buy other cards you want to hold as an "investment," then it is like moving the chips on the roulette table from one number to a different number while also cutting the IRS in on your gamble. If you like to play for the death spike, I imagine you could trade your MJ cards for Koufax and Mays and increase your odds.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:59 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts on this. Leaning towards selling them and buying cards for my PC. Just didn’t want to make the mistake of selling them now for maybe $50 each and kick my self in the $&@ later when perhaps that $50 per card is now $1,500 per card! (Like during the Kobe spike) but then again it wouldn’t hurt to box them up and throw them in the closed for 20-25 years to see how it turns out. What to do! What to do! I’ll have to think this out for a minute!
Old 04-19-2023, 08:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Your $50 Jordan cards are not going to sell for 30x. Buy something you like more, or actually invest the money in the stock market.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:12 PM

Thanks Peter, I think I will sell them now and use that money to fund some new cards for my PC. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:02 AM

Offer them here on the B/S/T. Avoid eBay fees.
You will get let's of takers.
It's largely a very reputable and trustworthy community that trades/buys and sells here.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
RayB
Old 04-20-2023, 09:14 AM
octavio ranzola

or buy a warhol ok sorry
Old 04-20-2023, 10:49 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My guess is the S and P 500 will go up over 25 years more than those Jordan cards. Assuming you have a brokerage account, sell the cards and put the money into SPY or the equivalent.
Best advice by far.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:40 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Jordans will probably go up for a brief period when he eventually dies, creating an opportunity for people to profit off of his death.

This period will probably be very brief, historically it does not last unless the dead person seeking to be profited from died in exceptional or unusual circumstances.

$50 Jordan cards are unlikely to bounce up very much. One would probably make more money with the right Jordans (the sneakers) than their Jordans (the cards).

There will likely be some monetary gain, probably not large, in its value over time before his death.

Jordans are unlikely to outearn what one could earn through an index fund investing that cash for the next 20-30 years instead.

I have heard from the board that SPY or picking your own stocks is a bad choice though, and that collectors should immediately empty their 401K's, take the massive tax hit losing a large percentage of that cash immediately, and buy the cards our resident pumpers are invested in. You should also take out loans if you cannot afford to buy the pump desired cards in cash, so that you can make the most money in the end.

This is not financial advice
Old 04-20-2023, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Jordans will probably go up for a brief period when he eventually dies, creating an opportunity for people to profit off of his death.

This period will probably be very brief, historically it does not last unless the dead person seeking to be profited from died in exceptional or unusual circumstances.

$50 Jordan cards are unlikely to bounce up very much. One would probably make more money with the right Jordans (the sneakers) than their Jordans (the cards).

There will likely be some monetary gain, probably not large, in its value over time before his death.

Jordans are unlikely to outearn what one could earn through an index fund investing that cash for the next 20-30 years instead.

I have heard from the board that SPY or picking your own stocks is a bad choice though, and that collectors should immediately empty their 401K's, take the massive tax hit losing a large percentage of that cash immediately, and buy the cards our resident pumpers are invested in. You should also take out loans if you cannot afford to buy the pump desired cards in cash, so that you can make the most money in the end.

This is not financial advice
Definitely invest in Acuna, Soto, Tatis and Julio Rodriguez, do whatever it takes to get the funds to do so. And of course Luka and Giannis and Mahomes and now Hurts.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-20-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Definitely invest in Acuna, Soto, Tatis and Julio Rodriguez, do whatever it takes to get the funds to do so. And of course Luka and Giannis and Mahomes and now Hurts.
Damn, I should have asked your advice earlier. I blew my money on FRC calls and GME puts. It’s fine, my collection of Jason Dominguez Bowman paper base is going to bless my bankroll.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:34 PM
Shane

I wonder if the same logic applies to a Michael Jordan autograph? I have an Upper Deck authenticated and witnessed Sports Illustrated cover that is autographed. A few times through the years I have wondered what would happen after his eventual demise. The way he drinks it could be sooner rather than later. If you saw the Last Dance documentary his eyes were bloodshot throughout most of it. I'm afraid he is headed the way of Mickey Mantle.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:46 PM

If someone has lot of Michael Jordan autographs, that person will be a very wealthy man once Jordan is no longer vertical.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:31 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
If someone has lot of Michael Jordan autographs, that person will be a very wealthy man once Jordan is no longer vertical.
Other than the normal 6 month or so temporary boost for FOMO buyers, I don't buy it. Jordan has signed millions of items and still continues on the regular. This theory only applies to current players that are already difficult gets. Any spike would not even reach Kobe sized as Jordan sigs are much more prolific.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM

Millions? I mean there are plenty of certified insert autos but they sell for a lot of money. I rarely ever see playing days in person signed cards. I bought a signed 89 Hoops for $500 years ago and the last time it sold it went for multiple thousands. The majority of Jordan items I see in the hobby are UDA baseballs and basketballs along with select prints. If you want anything else I find slim pickings.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:43 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
I agree with that..in fact , probably from all of things you have said or opined in the past i agree with that the most.

can also sell 20 % upside covered calls as well..
Old 04-24-2023, 12:43 PM

I also think there’s poor quality control in a lot of the UDA items. They didn’t use official league baseballs for example and I see a lot of faded signatures or bad spotting. I’ve also seen some pretty faded basketballs from the UDA signings. His autograph will always climb in my opinion because it’s both hard to get and hard to find on anything other than a smallish selection of mediums.

Last edited by packs; 04-24-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Millions? I mean there are plenty of certified insert autos but they sell for a lot of money. I rarely ever see playing days in person signed cards. I bought a signed 89 Hoops for $500 years ago and the last time it sold it went for multiple thousands. The majority of Jordan items I see in the hobby are UDA baseballs and basketballs along with select prints. If you want anything else I find slim pickings.
Okay, well millions would be an overstatement you got me there, Bob Feller probably doesn't have millions. I have no doubt there are a few hundred thousand items that are growing each and every day.

You just stated why I would not touch these with a 10 foot pole. They are selling for multiple thousands as we have not settled yet. I see zero room for growth if it hasn't maxed in the most over hyped market in decades. We'll see how those cards still sell at in another 20 months of downswing. I am a firm believer in a full return to the pre-covid pricing and why I have not made a major purchase in 3 years but still collect. The GME/Crypto/Beanie Baby/etc bubble is fading. People are still excited and keeping items up by either FOMO buying or trying to regain "buying the dip". If I'm wrong feel free to rub it in during 25', I'll still be here lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-24-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:18 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think FOMO buying exists for Jordan because he's been pretty tough to get for a pretty long time. His autograph is scarce on anything not UDA and the UDA items he signed have limited selection. He's very tough on things like tickets, playing days cards, and even signed index cards carry big premiums over mostly every other living athlete.

If you can find Lebron on anything non-UDA I'd recommend picking that up too. He's really hard to find on anything but insert autos. I was lucky to snag a ticket years ago but I haven't seen much in person material for him either:

Last edited by packs; 04-24-2023 at 02:34 PM.